Mr.Beer Community
KenEnnis

Having problem with leaking spigot

On 11/30/2017 at 7:08 PM, Johnny5150 said:

This is the worst quality product I’ve every come across. You cheap ass keg leaked everywhere despite following directions exactly. Where’s  your quality control? I know it’s not in that rubber seal or the valve! I’ll have fun cleaning a sticky ass mess tonight. Thanks!  

Mr Beer's customer service is very high quality! Every product can be defective now and again. It's the great customer service that brings you back. I had the issue of 2 LBK's leaking during the testing phase. That's 2 out of 8. Mr Beer promptly replaced them for me no charge. Anything defective or poor quality, contact customer service and they will make it right. We are all here to help each other not slam the product!

1 minute ago, DEFbrewer said:

Mr Beer's customer service is very high quality! Every product can be defective now and again. It's the great customer service that brings you back. I had the issue of 2 LBK's leaking during the testing phase. That's 2 out of 8. Mr Beer promptly replaced them for me no charge. Anything defective or poor quality, contact customer service and they will make it right. We are all here to help each other not slam the product!

Agreed, Mr B customer service is great.

However, I will pick on the 3 LBKs I just got just a little. At the spigot, the 2 sides were unevenly joined and there were varying degrees of lip or unevenness inside and outside on all of them - even a drill burr on one - enough so I felt leakage was likely. So I smoothed them out with a craft knife.

It is fair to note - I did not leak test them I went just by appearance and they might not have leaked. So I cannot say they were functionally defective.

If they leak now, I can blame myself as I modified them so do not expect any replacements.  I have done this in the past also and pretty much no leaks.

The hole for the spigot is drilled out. No problem with that, but they need the drill to make a flat area on the outside around the hole too. No big deal, just change the tool a bit. so it skims off the uneven lip then the sealing washer will fit beautifully. No other change in production process.

2 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Agreed, Mr B customer service is great.

However, I will pick on the 3 LBKs I just got just a little. At the spigot, the 2 sides were unevenly joined and there were varying degrees of lip or unevenness inside and outside on all of them - even a drill burr on one - enough so I felt leakage was likely. So I smoothed them out with a craft knife.

It is fair to note - I did not leak test them I went just by appearance and they might not have leaked. So I cannot say they were functionally defective.

If they leak now, I can blame myself as I modified them so do not expect any replacements.  I have done this in the past also and pretty much no leaks.

The hole for the spigot is drilled out. No problem with that, but they need the drill to make a flat area on the outside around the hole too. No big deal, just change the tool a bit. so it skims off the uneven lip then the sealing washer will fit beautifully. No other change in production process.

Yes , Just a small change in production could result in fewer customer service requests for replacements. Yes I do work in quality control in a machine shop.

Here is a pick of my LBK after the fix...IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.76c729768e55dbb880e9ee0c3ba649ce.JPG

19 hours ago, DEFbrewer said:

Yes , Just a small change in production could result in fewer customer service requests for replacements. Yes I do work in quality control in a machine shop.

Here is a pick of my LBK after the fix...IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.76c729768e55dbb880e9ee0c3ba649ce.JPG

I have the same line on o e of mine... I have thought about smoothing it out, but it doesn't leak so I'll smooth it out a bit later.

17 minutes ago, Bassman said:

I have the spigots that turn for On or Off. It looks like MB is back to the kind that you have to hold open. Why did they do that? 

I'm not following, my LBK is new, like real new and the spigot is not something you have to hold open.  You sure you don't have an old old one, or maybe aren't quite following that the new ones flip up to the vertical position to stay open?

3 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I'm not following, my LBK is new, like real new and the spigot is not something you have to hold open.  You sure you don't have an old old one, or maybe aren't quite following that the new ones flip up to the vertical position to stay open?

I was mistaken, I thought that you had to hold it open. Thanks for the clarification. 

3 hours ago, Bassman said:

I have the spigots that turn for On or Off. It looks like MB is back to the kind that you have to hold open. Why did they do that? 

My comment about the flip spigot is, "I can't use my bottling wand with it 😒". I was a little too rough with my gate valve spigot and cracked the handle while I was disassembling it. 😞. Wanted to replace it, but MeBeer has gone back to the old style.

9 minutes ago, Bassman said:

I was mistaken, I thought that you had to hold it open. Thanks for the clarification. 

I'm not quite sure which one is newer, but I have 2 different kinds as well.

There's one that is like a swing type that stays at whatever flow speed want..... and the 'coffee carafe' type that I have to hold open, only as I don't have a bottle filling wand and leaving it open will flow too fast and make too many bubbles.

They 'swing' type seems like it may be better as it is notched so you can use tubing if you want.

There are at least 3 types of Mr. Beer spigots.

1) White, you have to hold it open.  - This is OLD.

2) White, it swivels open and closed.

3) Black, it swivels open and closed.  This is the newest.

I don't know of any "notched" spigots.  My white spigots fit the bottling wand INSIDE, or a piece of hose over the outside and over the bottling wand.

The new black carafe ones  (like I got on my latest LBKs) will stay open at full vertical position but not stay partially open like the old white ones that rotated.

This is OK if you are using a bottling wand to bottle with - where the wand controls the flow.

Personally I bottled mine in the sink direct from the old style LBK spigot that had a nozzle on it. With these, I will have to cut a bit of bottling wand to stick up into the spigot to make a nozzle so the beer does not go all over as I still want to bottle in the sink. I don't want to bottle over the floor even with a spill catching basin. But on the positive side they do come apart to clean easier.

On the negative side, the spigots are smaller diameter (5/8 hole)  so the nuts inside the L:BK are smaller and tougher to tighten by hand. Also the extra washers I had do not fit.

I may be forced to drill the holes out to 3/4 inch hole, to take the spare  white spigots I have - lol.

And if that does not work, I can only find ones that fit 1 inch holes online - not the smaller ones

spigots20171206_150824.jpg