Mr.Beer Community
KCullison86

Purified Water VS Tap Water

So I tried my first kit (Apple Brown Beery) using city tap water and it soured. I may have jumped the gun and instead of brewing another kit, I am trying my hand at an all grain brew. This time I used water from a well. (I’m getting ready to bottle this week). 

My biggest question is what is the best water to use???  I’ve read thru the forums and even more online and I’m still confused!!!

Our water is like liquid rock it is so hard, so we have an RO/DI unit for our aquarium water.  I just run it through the RO, takes out most everything, leaves soft water and so far seems to be good for brewing.  No difference with what you get out of those machines in the store except I know when my filters were last changed and exactly what the hardness of the water is.  My total investment was maybe a hundred bucks and about 30-60 bucks a year in filters.

Is your ABB "sour" or is it tart?  If you were looking for a sweeter result, this one's not it as it's a tart product.  I like it that way, but my wife not so much.  So if she wants one I put about 1/4 cup of apple juice in her glass before pouring the ABB.  That cuts the tartness quite a bit.

I use 1 gallon jugs of spring water from the grocery store.  When it comes to tap water, its not the source water that concerns me as it has to meet certain standards.  Its all the piping from the source to my tap.  Who knows whats in them.  Bottled water is cheap insurance of a good water.

Put the water jugs in the fridge, if I forget to fridge them, 90 minutes in the freezer does the trick.

4 hours ago, Cammanron said:

In Palmer's book, he suggests using distilled water as he says that the LME has minerals from process of making the concentrate...

I kind of get what people say about not using distilled water, but my RO water isn't much different than distilled, and I make good tasting beer.  So really, I am not quite following the tap or spring water only mantra.  All I know for sure is if I use my tap water, you'd need a chisel to break off pieces of the beer after it all solidified from it's liquid rock state.

5 hours ago, Cammanron said:

In Palmer's book, he suggests using distilled water as he says that the LME has minerals from process of making the concentrate...

This is true. Our extracts also have minerals added, but I still never recommend using distilled water unless you are building a water profile.

15 minutes ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I kind of get what people say about not using distilled water, but my RO water isn't much different than distilled, and I make good tasting beer.  So really, I am not quite following the tap or spring water only mantra.  All I know for sure is if I use my tap water, you'd need a chisel to break off pieces of the beer after it all solidified from it's liquid rock state.

RO water loses some chemicals and salts during the process, but many beneficial minerals still remain in the water.

The beer books say - if you are using extract and your water tastes good to you   - use it.

However if you are making a different style than the HME was intended for and the water of the target style location is much harder for instance, than the HME would suggest, I would think you might get some flavor differences from adding minerals.

Or you can also add distilled to reduce the mineral taste.

I did put some gypsum in my Irish red, but only because Dublin water is very hard and this was made from CAL which I assumed had a low to middling mineral level, and my home water is middling. I did not add any with the one I made from Can Blonde. I have no idea what Canadian water is like.

This gives a summary of Ca, Na and MG for various places around North America and also in a range of bottled waters (might be handy :-))

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2001.04189.x/full

On 12/29/2015 at 8:32 PM, Jim Johnson said:

For the most part if your water makes good coffee it'll make good beer. I been using tap water since December 2012. Check with your water company about what it uses as a disinfectant, somethings require other chemicals to remove..

My tap water makes my coffee taste weird. I bought a Pur water filter to use for my coffee. When I did my beer I just bought some gallon jugs of spring water. They are easier to put in  my fridge ten trying to find pitchers to put filtered water in to chill.

53 minutes ago, RickC1970 said:

My tap water makes my coffee taste weird. I bought a Pur water filter to use for my coffee. When I did my beer I just bought some gallon jugs of spring water. They are easier to put in  my fridge ten trying to find pitchers to put filtered water in to chill.

Ours, too.  Of course, what some think is 'good' coffee others might think otherwise.  When I started brewing with MRB a friend of mine who has been brewing for a long time told me to use bottled spring water, if possible, and not distilled water.  Seems to make sense.  Our well water isn't probably the best to use and I haven't yet (except for sanitizer).