Mr.Beer Community
KCullison86

Purified Water VS Tap Water

I usually brew 2 batches at a time,and my local grocery store has a filling station to fill up your water jugs.It's supposed to be filtered water,I guess,but for 35 cents a gallon,I fill up 5 gallon jugs.Put them in the fridge until brew day,and have had good results,for the most part.My tap water is "City Water" which is heavily chlorinated,so I always go with the bottle fill-up route.

10 minutes ago, KCullison86 said:

Since I'm getting ready to brew my first batch of beer, is it better to use purified water then tap water for brewing beer? Figured I would ask now so I can be ready for when its to start brewing.

Purified or filtered?? According to Mr. Beer tap water should be fine unless you know if there is to much chlorine. I use filtered tap water, some here use store bought bottled water, some others use straight tap water. As long as you don't use distilled water you should be fine. 

Thanks for the post, about to start my first batch as well and wondering if tap water will work.  I have a private well, run a filter.  The water makes decent coffee, but I have been contemplating if the softened water or the water that bypasses the softener will work better.  I think I will try a batch both ways, let you guys know which seems more successful.

Tap water here also. Just fine. But if you are concerned get an analysis from your local water company and then compare it with brewing water from all over so you can see what style yours is best for. Then just brew it anyway lol.

If really concerned you can add minerals and/or dilute with distilled water to get a result more like the water from the desired style's original place. There are water calculators on-line to help you figure what chemicals to add.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

There is a drop down menu for water profile in this one. You load the profile you want and as you add minerals the errors change until you get it good enough.

Welcome to the group.

For what it's worth, I've used Ozarka Spring water since my first brew.  I've done 8 batches so far with it.  You can look at their water analysis if you're curious about what's in it.

I figured that I would be consistent with the water I use as I'm trying to learn how different beers develop different tastes.  Plus, I like to tell my friends that my brews are more "natural" that some other beers since I'm not using city water that is chlorinated and has added fluoride and whatever else people flush down the drain upstream of us.  Mr. Beer says their extracts are GMO-free and free of additives and preservatives so I want to keep everything else as natural as possible.  Just my two cents worth.

Lets do this one step at a time. I would recommend to get the brewing procedure down first then step up to light modifications w/Hops, LME/DEM's, steeping grains and so forth. Water modification such as adding and removing chemicals is an advanced  area that should not be preformed when trying to learn to brew(IMHO). With that being said you can help your beer by removing chlorimine by adding a 1/4 tab prior to brewing with tap water.

I have used tap water, filtered tap water and spring water all with success. Basically if the water tastes fine, so wlil the beer (unless you screw up somewhere else in the brewing process). Distilled water is not recommended. To me distilled water tastes "flat" anyway - missing too many minerals.