Cuban IPA

Diablo IPA- Carbo Drops

36 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

This is my first batch and I had a question regarding the Carbo Drops. The can of Diablo IPA malt extract says 2 and 1/2 tea of sugar which is equivalent to 2 and 1/2 drops, based on the priming sugar chart. Can I just add 2 drops or do I need to cut them in half to get my 1/2 need to make the 2 and 1/2 drops? Not sure is by not adding that half, if the beer might not coming out the right way since conditioning is important . If the sugar guidelines are important and it needs to be followed always, than please let me know. 

So, has anyone condiitoned it with just 2 Carbo Drops? What was the outcome?

First, the amount of sugar is dependent on the size of the bottle.  While styles do have different levels of carbonation in the real world, Mr. Beer uses the SAME recommendations for all their brews - so you just follow the chart.

Many, including myself, find their levels TOO HIGH.  I used 65% of the recommended levels (many use 75%) until I started batch carbonating and using a good carbonation calculator.

2.5 x 75% = 1.875.  So yes, you can use 2 if that's what that size bottle calls for.

FWIW, when bottling my brews,I use Domino Dots,little sugar cubes that are smaller than regular sugar cubes.They are by the sugar at the grocery store.You get 198 of them for like 2 bucks.I add one to a 12 oz. bottle and 2 for a 16 oz.bottle. That amount gives me good carbonation levels. I can't tell you about carb drops though,I've never used them Sorry.....Good luck in your brew.

RickBeer, the bottles are 740ml bottle and thanks for the calculation. I will keep that in handy.

Garson, yeah I know of that brand...I am going to try the Carbo Drops since they came with the kit. Trial and error is the best way to learn how to make the best brews and any future brews I might want to do.

Thanks again for both of your help.

If you have 740ml bottles then you are NOT supposed to use 2.5 drops.  Mr.  Beer recommends 2 drops right in the instructions. 

sugar.png

moots likes this

The 2.5 tsp of sugar on the can is referring to the old Mr. Beer kits that came with the 1 liter bottles. They now come with the 740ml bottles as the 1L have been discontinued. I believe this has been or is being resolved with new labels.

slym2none likes this

Thanks guys! I'm so glad I asked cause I was not aware that the can was labeled for the old kit. This is where my confusion came in cause I was following the priming chart but the can said something else. 

Now, I just purchased the the 12 oz. glass long neck bottles because I prefer glass over plastic...so following the chart above, for 12 oz. I will use now use only 3/4 tsp. Got it! This make it more clear and now I know to always follow the chart. Will I be notified in the future of any of these changes, if there was one to occur? 

MRB Josh R likes this

11 minutes ago, Cuban IPA said:

Thanks guys! I'm so glad I asked cause I was not aware that the can was labeled for the old kit. This is where my confusion came in cause I was following the priming chart but the can said something else. 

Now, I just purchased the the 12 oz. glass long neck bottles because I prefer glass over plastic...so following the chart above, for 12 oz. I will use now use only 3/4 tsp. Got it! This make it more clear and now I know to always follow the chart. Will I be notified in the future of any of these changes, if there was one to occur? 

Yes. All changes are usually emailed out to customers and/or put on the forums or blog when they happen. Especially any large changes.

slym2none likes this

Thanks again!

First time newbie brewer and just want to make sure I get it done right. My first batch is on the way....bottling day: 01/16/15. By any chance, whats the OG on the Diablo IPA? I also purchased a hydrometer and would like to know how to read it to see if the beer is ready for conditioning and bottling on bottling day. 

12 minutes ago, Cuban IPA said:

Thanks again!

First time newbie brewer and just want to make sure I get it done right. My first batch is on the way....bottling day: 01/16/15. By any chance, whats the OG on the Diablo IPA? I also purchased a hydrometer and would like to know how to read it to see if the beer is ready for conditioning and bottling on bottling day. 

The Craft Series cans are all approximately 1.058 OG. You'll commonly get around 1.055 - 1.058 depending on how much you got out of the can, exact amount of water in the fermenter, etc.

slym2none likes this

and what about the FG on Diablo IPA so when I use the Hydrometer, I can see if after 2 weeks I and good for bottling or wait the 3 weeks? 

Sorry Rick by what do you mean divide by 4? Is 1.01375-1.0145 is the OF range for all craft beer series or just the Diablo IPA?

1.055 - 1.058 is the expected OG range for Diablo. For IPAs in general go to the beer styles web sites e.g.  http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/116/

This one does not give you the expected OG and FG but you can figure the ABV from the difference between OG and FG.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

From this calculator, going from 1.055 to 1.1375 gives ABV of 5.51. Using the high end numbers, it is 5.78.

This is lower than the general run of the IPA beers in the beer advocate site above - cited as Average alcohol by volume (abv) range: 5.5-7.5%

You can fix this by adding  1 or 2 packs of LME/DME or booster depending if you want 6.5 or 7.5

Simple Math??

Not so "simple math" if not familiar with specific gravity measurements.

You only divide the part to right of decimal point (the .055)  by 4, not all of it.

1.000 is water  - the 0.055 is from the malt. The malt gets fermented into alcohol lowering the gravity.

OG = 1.055 is the unfermented wort low end of range Josh mentioned

-so you should get somewhere between OG in the range 1.055 - 1.058 depending on how much you got out of the can, exact amount of water in the fermenter, etc.

Corresponding FG fermented beer (starting at 1.055)  1 + 0.055/4 = 1 + 0.01375 = 1.01375.

The "4"  you divide by is also a "rule of thumb" so it may vary depending on temperature, water, yeast etc.

So as long as you get somewhere close to these numbers you are OK.

RickBeer and slym2none like this

So I get my original OG...do the simple math and my result will give me my OF. Got it and noted! Thanks!!

Since you put 2 carbo drops in a 750 ml bottle ( roughly 22 ounces), can't you just put 1 carbo drop in a 12 ounce bottle instead of cutting in in a 3/4 piece? 

2 hours ago, MetalKdub said:

Since you put 2 carbo drops in a 750 ml bottle ( roughly 22 ounces), can't you just put 1 carbo drop in a 12 ounce bottle instead of cutting in in a 3/4 piece? 

You may get a foam fountain. Make sure you cool it well for several days if you do this, and open it over the sink or a basin so as not to lose beer :-)

On 1/5/2016 at 3:52 PM, Cuban IPA said:

Now, I just purchased the the 12 oz. glass long neck bottles because I prefer glass over plastic...so following the chart above, for 12 oz. I will use now use only 3/4 tsp. Got it!

When I first started I thought about buying glass bottles. But then I quickly realized I could buy the bottles at the store with beer in them! Good way to try new beers! 

dale hihn likes this

15 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

You may get a foam fountain. Make sure you cool it well for several days if you do this, and open it over the sink or a basin so as not to lose beer :-)

So, you would actually recommend cutting the drops into 3/4 pieces? I know it would be easier to use granulated sugar, but I have 2 packages of carbo drops and would like to use them up.

20 hours ago, RickBeer said:

It will be highly carbed.  Try 1/2 also. 

Will 1/2 of a carbo drop be enough to carbonate 12 oz. of beer?

14 minutes ago, MetalKdub said:

Will 1/2 of a carbo drop be enough to carbonate 12 oz. of beer?

Honestly, i just use a full drop for 12 oz. its not worth the hassle for me. Itll be over carbed. Itll be obvious. Will it make it undrinkable? No. But 1/2 probably wouldnt be the worst. Ive never used just a half but you could do some with 1/2 and some with a full and see which you prefer

3 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Honestly, i just use a full drop for 12 oz. its not worth the hassle for me. Itll be over carbed. Itll be obvious. Will it make it undrinkable? No. But 1/2 probably wouldnt be the worst. Ive never used just a half but you could do some with 1/2 and some with a full and see which you prefer

If I put a full drop in, I won't run the risk of the bottle exploding or oozing out, will I?