Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brewer

how to store bottles so that you can locate particular beer?

49 posts in this topic

This is a quandary for me , 'cause happily/sadly it has not been an issue. My production barely keeps up with consumption. In my defense...I don't like the pain meds VA gives me, makes me sick(phenergan don't help) . If I drink enough ale, I get to sleep, and with homebrew no hangover.(insert happy dance)

TonyKZ1 and Broox like this

At one point I had close to 24 cases, now down to 14.5 with 3.02 conditioning.  I print labels for every batch (black and white on laser printer) and always have a few extra.  I used to put initials on the cap also, now use the small white labels that someone (Nick or MrWhy?) discussed at one point.  I put the 12 ounce glass bottles into cases or 12 packs, and put one of the bottle labels on the outside.  The bigger bottles (16.9, 25, 33.8 PETs) go into general boxes again with one of the labels stuck on the outside (some boxes have a few labels).

My inventory is in a spreadsheet (and my signature), so I know exactly how much of each that I have (signature shows total, I have it by bottle size).  I also take some up to another place for the summer, so I split the inventory into two columns and keep track of it that way.

Beer fridge has 6 of each in 12 oz glass plus bigger sizes on the door, all in rows.

17 hours ago, Broox said:

This is the extent of my labeling, only writing the batch number on the cap.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1464721757000.jpg

I do the same thing, but its my phone number I write on the caps! then I got to parties and give out each bottle to the hottest women, in hopes they collaborate together and call me!! it's full proof ingenious way to pick up women!

Broox, Bonsai & Brew and AnthonyC like this

12 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I do the same thing, but its my phone number I write on the caps! then I got to parties and give out each bottle to the hottest women, in hopes they collaborate together and call me!! it's full proof ingenious way to pick up women!

Then how come the phone is not ringing?  Bah-dah-bump!  :lol:

HoppySmile! likes this

since I have an extension on my phone, I usually give out an 36 pack, so that means I buy cheap beer at the store, open all the bottles, recap them and shake em up to regenerate the fiz effect

MrWhy likes this

This time I tried printing the round labels. You can get a lot of info on them, and I could have used smaller font.

I think I will print not handwrite now I have tried it.

BelgWit round label.jpg

I use the Avery software/online tool (depending on what machine I'm on) and the small removable labels (4 x 8 to a sheet.) They stand up well to moisture and are easy to peel off when done. One sheet per LBK batch, with enough blanks that I can get my fourth batch or backs from the leftovers. Not that I'm cheap or anything <_<. I like the idea of labeling the outside of the box, as mine are generally by batch with some overflow. 

The big question here is why are you storing them when you should be drinking them?  You don't hear HOPPY complaining about this problem do you?? ;):)

TonyKZ1 likes this

Each recipe goes into a different brand labeled bottle.  Those bottles go into six pack carriers.  Mr. Beer can labels go through the six pack loop.  Hop variations get stapled to the first of each such label.  Six packs are then stored on shelving four six packs deep. 

I can now select one from each variety and put them in the fridge.  When I pull one from the fridge, I replace it with a companion from the same six pack.  That association is enough to remind what I am selecting at the moment.

I only use one sheet of the round Avery labels per batch as I use 1L or 750 ml bottles and maybe a couple of 12 oz for give-aways. So 15 labels is enough. I can see what tey are from n top and so just move them around in the Mr B Bottle boxes.

pipeline20150209_102336.jpg

KaijuBrew likes this

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎10 at 1:08 PM, Brewer said:

I have about 80 - 100 bottles of different styles of beer and I find it really difficult to locate a particular style of beer that I have brewed. I have taken to write on the caps but that does not seem to be very effective not least because I can write perhaps two letters on any one cap... How do you store beer bottles so that you can easily identify the contents? Or do you simply make a batch and then drink it before making any next batch?  (I store my home made wines and meads and ciders on their side with tags that I can read from the front but I have not found any similar structures for storing beer bottles on their side)

Green painter's tape and a marker.  I write MX, MX, MX... (ex: for Mexican)........ all the way around, then rip and paste on bottles after I pour them.  Then I can just throw them all (I do 4 LBK's at once, different types) onto one shelf and just leave a piece of paper on that shelf with the '4 week' due date.  Then later as I drink them, the painters tape easily comes off without anything sticking to the bottle.  Just make sure the part of the bottle you put it on is dry.

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 7:25 PM, AnthonyC said:

I don't know why we suffer like we do. ;)

First world problems.....

I recently saw this the other day, and am going to try it out. Instead of baking the bottles (especially the plastic ones :) ) I figured I would paint them after I bottle and cap them while they are carbonating (glass curing per paint label is 21 days). Will see how they hold up after beer is finished and you have wash bottles. 

http://www.boxbrewkits.com/blogs/news/115824516-diy-chalkboard-beer-bottle-labels

Shrike likes this

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:21 AM, HoppySmile! said:

since I have an extension on my phone, I usually give out an 36 pack, so that means I buy cheap beer at the store, open all the bottles, recap them and shake em up to regenerate the fiz effect

what the hell was I saying hear???

MrWhy likes this

I print simple labels for the bottles.  Each batch is in its own crate, and I tape a piece of paper or a piece of an index card with the bottle date, name of batch, and anything else I decide to put on. 

AZNHB and hotrod3539 like this

On 2/24/2017 at 11:00 AM, HoppySmile! said:

what the hell was I saying hear???

On 6/21/2016 at 6:21 AM, HoppySmile! said:

Hoppy - Pondering this statement is what lead me to enlightenment. I was reading it, thinking about it....and then it hit me.....am I thinking about what Hoppy said or did Hoppy say what I am thinking?

After that it was like there was a light, but the light wasn't something I saw, but something I was. And the realization hit me....If I am drinking beer, and Hoppy is drinking beer...then maybe Hoppy and I are not drinking beer but beer is being drink-ed by hoppy and i......and if that is the case then maybe there is no hoppy and there is no I but there is only beer. 

And beer is not beer unless the i/hoppy are rinking it....and there is no i/hoppy without beer being drink-ed.

HoppySmile! likes this

8 hours ago, MrWhy said:

is no hoppy and there is no I but there is only beer. 

I should have never taken the Red Pill!!! Why cudn't I just taken the Blue Pill??? The Matrix

Chalkboard paint was a success. Stored the bottles in crates with chalkboard paint on front outside area- write in what's being stored.IMG_4699.JPG.e7787727eb1dc01290619622c6fba75f.JPG

hotrod3539, Shrike and MiniYoda like this

I box batches together in old wine case boxes or Mr Beer bottle cases.  I put masking tape as a label on each bottle with batch name and bottling date.  Then I use an Excel spreadsheet to track when each batch is conditioned.