Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
creamz13

basic mead...upsate

14 posts in this topic

Today i racked my 1 gallon batch of mead. It was in primary fermentor for 4 weeks. ( as suggested here) 

So of course i tasted it. It was sweet. Almost juice like. To be honest i could have drank the entire gallon today. Been fine with it. 

Question is. Is this normal? I used just short of 4 lbs of mead (3lbs is whay recipe called for). And d47 yeast. Also how is this gonna age. I plan on anothrr 4 months in secondary then bottle. 

Og i wrote down was 1.15 and gravity i just took was 1.057.

For a gallon with 4lbs of honey, it does come up at 1.14.  Wow!

A rough FG would be 1.035, for an ABV of 13.5%!  Your ABV is 12.2%.  

I found something that said D47 produces a sweet mead if you start with an OG around 1.105, whereas you started at 1.15, quite a bit higher.  Your yeast can tolerate around 14% ABV, so you started a bit high for it.  

Can't really add other insight, but I suspect it will drop lower.

SO deleted this entire post cause we both ended u with same conclusion. I'm pretty much on just used to much honey. I will say its not bad for my first batch, its tasty as hell just wasnt sure about why it was so sweet.

Next time I'll use a more tolerable yeast, gonna bottle this one after a month in secondary and probly demolish it. And the girlfriend loves it so I guess it went well.

morriganpoe likes this

You can finish the sugar out by repitching a higher ABV tolerant yeast such as the EC1118, which will get up to 18% or (my choice) the K1-V116, which will get you to 20%. Keep in mind though, that the higher the ABV, the hotter the mead will taste. Also, regardless of the yeast you use, it is highly recommended that you add nutrients to the must as honey is devoid of nutrients for the yeast. The best nutrients to use should be high in nitrogen, such as diammonium phosphate (DAP).

creamz13 likes this

An alternative is to dilute your mead with some water or apple juice (apple juice and honey makes what is known as a cyser). I guess my concern is that at a starting gravity of 1.150 that is a great deal of dense liquid for the yeast to transfer through their cell walls (through osmosis) the nutrients they need and the food they require (the food being sugars from the honey) to effectively ferment the must. My meads (2.5 - 3 lbs of honey to make 1 gallon (plus) of mead) generally hit 1.000 after about 2 weeks or so.  If you really want high ABV then meads and wines may not be what you are looking for...But mead is not a spirit.  A good mead (dry or sweet) is likely to be around 12-14 % ABV. Beyond 14 % the mead (in my opinion) is distinctly out of balance.. And above about 15% ABV you might want to think about aging the mead for years to remove some of the alcoholic heat... But yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance

creamz13 and MRB Josh R like this

The nuteient substitute i did i fiund on a mead forum. (Yeast are carnivores so boiling off some yeast works as a nutrient so it says). And its 12.2%.

I love the taste. Its great. I just wanted to make sure its safe to rack it a few times then bottle then drink.  

So besides my first batch being rough...it is safe? 

Not a doctor, but as far as I understand things no pathogens live in beer or wine or mead or hard cider. It is perfectly safe to taste your mead from the moment you pitch the yeast. I would not drink it by the bottle before it is ready to be bottled - Given typical US diets, (few living probiotics in the foods we eat) active yeast in quantity can orchestrate a symphonic concert in your bowels and for the climax at the end of the last ... um... movement.. you may not want to be far from your ... um... throne... If you know what I mean.

For the record, a couple of years ago I opened some bottles of beer I had made about 20 years ago and had forgotten all about them... Could not believe how good they were... not at all spoiled or oxidized.

morriganpoe, MRB Josh R and C-ya like this

My plan is to keep rqcking it till its clear. Then bottle and drink as wanted. Girlfriend loves it and earely drinks so it will be a while. 

Yea i know the yeast bpwel movement thats why im gtn it really clear before i bottle it. Thanks guys for input.

32 minutes ago, creamz13 said:

My plan is to keep rqcking it till its clear. Then bottle and drink as wanted. Girlfriend loves it and earely drinks so it will be a while. 

Yea i know the yeast bpwel movement thats why im gtn it really clear before i bottle it. Thanks guys for input.

Use some finings. This will reduce the amount of rackings needed. I recommend a product called Super-Kleer KC. It works great.

So here is my finished product. The yeast pushed out 15% abv. Sweetness isnt as intense now its dry like a wine should be.

Fermentation went on for over a month. yeast dropped almost over night and was crystal clear after 3 weeks( used some finnings to get that final boost of clarity).

I have to say this was a success and I will be doing another mead.

I know this isnt a mead website but i seen a few people mention it and figured id update my progress.

19450[1].jpeg

19451[1].jpeg

5 hours ago, creamz13 said:

So here is my finished product. The yeast pushed out 15% abv. Sweetness isnt as intense now its dry like a wine should be.

Fermentation went on for over a month. yeast dropped almost over night and was crystal clear after 3 weeks( used some finnings to get that final boost of clarity).

I have to say this was a success and I will be doing another mead.

I know this isnt a mead website but i seen a few people mention it and figured id update my progress.

19450[1].jpeg

19451[1].jpeg

How much is honey by you? I was going to make a 5 gallon batch of mead just cuz it sounded easy and it would've costed me easily $60-$70. Not worth it at all. 

I know now you only did 1 gallon, was it about $20?

creamz13 likes this

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Creeps McLane said:

How much is honey by you? I was going to make a 5 gallon batch of mead just cuz it sounded easy and it would've costed me easily $60-$70. Not worth it at all. 

I know now you only did 1 gallon, was it about $20?

Yes i paid 22.50 for 4 lbs of honey. If u like dry i recommend roughly 3.25lbs. But was well worth it. D47 yeast and some nutrient (boil bread yeast).