Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

The Secret is Out!!

13 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

One would imagine the PM recipes would be cheaper than normal recipes however, unless they're changing their HME sizes for those recipes I'd think they'll actually be more expensive? 

This is very exciting none the less

None of the HMEs are changing. Yes, the PM recipes will be more expensive, but only by about $1 at the most. Grains are very inexpensive, but the benefits are tremendous. Believe me, those few extra pennies will be worth it. 

There is a process change involved.  I'm sure Josh will have great instructions, but in short you heat up some water to a specific temperature (160ish), put in the bag full of grain, and put a cover on the pot.  Come back in 30 minutes, remove the bag, and then hit the water to boiling, then follow the normal Mr. Beer process.  

It is truly as simple as steeping tea.

Check out this blog for more information on using grains in Mr. Beer kits. I'm currently in the process of editing a short how-to video and it will be released as soon as it's done (probably sometime early next week). The Sir Kenneth Blonde, however, will be released either later today or sometime tomorrow.

http://blog.mrbeer.com/steeping-and-mashing-grains-101

I would imagine that the new recipes would be similar to existing in that they would be a modification of  an HME base by adding a steep/mash of the crushed grains, then adding a HME, and could also include Booster, and LME/DME as well as various timed hop additions.

On February 12, 2016 at 0:04 PM, RickBeer said:

There is a process change involved.  I'm sure Josh will have great instructions, but in short you heat up some water to a specific temperature (160ish), put in the bag full of grain, and put a cover on the pot.  Come back in 30 minutes, remove the bag, and then hit the water to boiling, then follow the normal Mr. Beer process.  

It is truly as simple as steeping tea.

Noob curiousity here..."cover on the pot?"  @MRB Josh R instructions do not specify.  Thanks!

On February 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM, AnthonyC said:

Think there may be a new section in the forums dedicated to questions solely about grains?? :)

If there were, I could stop asking silly questions about steeping and mashing :)!  As a PM-newbie though,  I do feel that Step 3 of the Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale instructions could use a little more detail.  @MRB Josh Rs instructions do not mention covering the pot and removing from heat, only maintaining the temp. at 150-165 F for the 30 minute steep.  How is this achieved?  Does one apply heat as needed throughout the steep?  Is temperature control not as critical here since this is not a mash?  Isn't 2-Row base malt mash-only?  Should I take a break from the forum and go read some Palmer?  Later, then and TIA!

My process to steep is, I warm pot to temp over regular burner add grain, get up to temp again, then put pot on the plate warmer on full blast. I don't cover but check temp with food thermometer to see if temp is still OK.

So since we are talking steeping should this be called "Partial Steep" not a "Partial Mash"?

14 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

If there were, I could stop asking silly questions about steeping and mashing :)!  As a PM-newbie though,  I do feel that Step 3 of the Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale instructions could use a little more detail.  @MRB Josh Rs instructions do not mention covering the pot and removing from heat, only maintaining the temp. at 150-165 F for the 30 minute steep.  How is this achieved?  Does one apply heat as needed throughout the steep?  Is temperature control not as critical here since this is not a mash?  Isn't 2-Row base malt mash-only?  Should I take a break from the forum and go read some Palmer?  Later, then and TIA!

You don't HAVE to cover the pot, but if it helps you keep your temperatures, then it won't hurt. The key is to keep within a temperature range for 30 minutes. That's it. It doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that. Keeping temperatures at 150-165 is NOT "steeping", it is "mashing".

Please read: http://blog.mrbeer.com/steeping-and-mashing-grains-101

For the sake of simplicity, all of our PM recipes will be mashed and the technique will be referred to as "mashing", even if the grains can simply be steeped. While many grains do not need mashing, they will still be more efficient at mashing temperatures. Remember, the only difference between steeping and mashing techniques is the temperature. For every recipe, it will be 155-165 for 30 minutes.

Also, back to the cover on the pot question: I've found that when using aluminum pots, it's more difficult to maintain temps because they act as a heat sink. In this case, a lid really helps. Just be sure you're keeping an eye on the temp.