Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

New Recipe - Sir Kenneth American Blonde Ale!!

Email-SirKenneth-Collab_01-1.jpg?t=14552

Our newest Brewery Collaboration beer is now available!! It is also our very first Partial Mash Recipe!!!

Proceeds from all Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale recipes sold will be donated directly to Paladin Brewery's owner and Brewmaster, John Chandler.

John started with a Mr. Beer kit several years ago, and recently decided to open his own brewery. However, he was diagnosed with sinus cancer right before the brewery's opening. Now, Paladin is celebrating their 6-month anniversary, and most importantly, John's health, as he is in remission.

This Mr.Beer clone of Paladin's Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale is an American Blonde Ale using hops commonly found in a Bohemian Pilsner. This beer is crisp and clean with a nice, rich malt and spicy hop character.

Get yours here for only $29.99: http://www.mrbeer.com/sir-kenneth-blonde-ale-collaboration

Email-SirKenneth-Collab_04.jpg?t=1455208

Editor - Instruction # 11    "both LME softpacks"    I only see one?

Looks a good one.

Update:

I did order one - although I got a "Gateway error - transaction declined" . SO I cleared the cart and succeeded 2nd time.

Maybe I should add another Smooth pack to fulfill the instructions - lol?

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Looks a good one.

Update:

I did order one - although I got a "Gateway error - transaction declined" . SO I cleared the cart and succeeded 2nd time.

It only uses 1 LME. The instructions have a typo. I will make sure it gets fixed by Monday. Thanks for the catch!

21 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Email-SirKenneth-Collab_01-1.jpg?t=14552

Our newest Brewery Collaboration beer is now available!! It is also our very first Partial Mash Recipe!!!

Proceeds from all Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale recipes sold will be donated directly to Paladin Brewery's owner and Brewmaster, John Chandler.

John started with a Mr. Beer kit several years ago, and recently decided to open his own brewery. However, he was diagnosed with sinus cancer right before the brewery's opening. Now, Paladin is celebrating their 6-month anniversary, and most importantly, John's health, as he is in remission.

This Mr.Beer clone of Paladin's Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale is an American Blonde Ale using hops commonly found in a Bohemian Pilsner. This beer is crisp and clean with a nice, rich malt and spicy hop character.

Get yours here for only $29.99: http://www.mrbeer.com/sir-kenneth-blonde-ale-collaboration

Email-SirKenneth-Collab_04.jpg?t=1455208

Any chance this or any of the other advanced recipes end up on Amazon Prime?

Reading the instructions says to step the grains, strain, then boil 0.5oz Sterling hops for 10 minutes. I'm just wondering if there are enough sugars with 8oz grains, in five cups water, for the hop acids to attach to. I know the first hop addition is for flavor, I'm just curious what the utilization factor is with the small grain steep/mash. 

On February 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM, MRB Josh R said:

It only uses 1 LME. The instructions have a typo. I will make sure it gets fixed by Monday. Thanks for the catch!

While you are in edit mode, I think Step 7 may need a little clarification so as not to confuse first-time PMers like me.  There would be no need to remove the pot from heat following the 10 minute Sterling boil, as we go directly into the first Saaz addition at that time. Yes?

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Using QBrew one can easily see this. 0.25lbs of Carapils and 0.25lbs of 2-row, steeped in 1/4 gallon is a gravity of 1.035, which should be fine.

I'm working today and am on my mobile device. Haven't found a brewing calculator that's worth a darn for Android devices. 

On 2/13/2016 at 8:01 AM, Nickfixit said:

Looks a good one.

Update:

Thanks for the catch @Nickfixit!

Fixed.

19 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

While you are in edit mode, I think Step 7 may need a little clarification so as not to confuse first-time PMers like me.  There would be no need to remove the pot from heat following the 10 minute Sterling boil, as we go directly into the first Saaz addition at that time. Yes?

Thanks @Bonsai & Brew!

Fixed.

On 2/14/2016 at 9:38 AM, sabres032 said:

Reading the instructions says to step the grains, strain, then boil 0.5oz Sterling hops for 10 minutes. I'm just wondering if there are enough sugars with 8oz grains, in five cups water, for the hop acids to attach to. I know the first hop addition is for flavor, I'm just curious what the utilization factor is with the small grain steep/mash. 

Hop oils bond to carbohydrates, starches, and dextrins. If you wish, you can add the LME before your hop boil, but it won't make much of a noticeable difference in hop utilization, especially since this isn't a hop-forward beer. The reason I recommend adding the LME later rather than for the hop boil is to prevent darkening of the malt. This is a blonde ale so I'm trying to keep it within the style.

On 2/14/2016 at 0:28 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

That is correct. This has been fixed.

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

I see there is a review already for the beer, comparing it favorably to the original. How does one get on your preview taste testing team?

I'd like to know, too!  Maybe I have to fly up to Ohio (from Texas) and try the original brew to get onto the premier preview taste testing team.

I ordered mine on the first day and it just shipped today.....Can't wait to get it started.

Received my Sir Kenneth package today!  The package had the revised set of instructions in it.  Thanks!

Everything went well in the kitchen.  I was meticulous about sanitizing everything.  One thing I noticed was that the grains really absorb a lot of the liquid.  It was a little tricky lifting the grain pack out at the end of the steep, draining it, and then slipping a colander under it and pouring the cup of hot water over it.  But it worked.  The Sterling hops sack also absorbed some liquid.  Then, the first Saaz sack also absorbed some liquids.  Dropped the third hops sack in at the end of the simmer and then added the extract can and the LME.

The color of the wort looked good in the LBK.  My OG was a bit lower than the instructions suggested.  But maybe it's my hydrometer.  I always seem to get a number lower than the instructions suggest.   I had an OG of 1.037.  I pitched the Safale US-5 yeast and closed everything up.

Now, the hard part for me is waiting.  It sure helps to have other brews already finished that I can enjoy.

This partial mash recipe is the perfect next step from the other Mr. Beer extract recipes.  The process took me about 2 hours from start to clean-up finish.  I don't know if I could handle an all-day full blown brew from basic grains and hops.  I have a great wife but I don't know if she could handle an all-day brew in her kitchen, either!

OK.  I'll figure 3 weeks in the LBK.  Then 2 months conditioning?  That would put it around Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) here in Texas.  Should be great!

On 2/16/2016 at 7:11 PM, Nickfixit said:

I see there is a review already for the beer, comparing it favorably to the original. How does one get on your preview taste testing team?

This was most likely from a patron of the brewery party during the release at Paladin Brewery.