Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MRB Josh R

New Recipe - Sir Kenneth American Blonde Ale!!

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:18 AM, Stroomer420 said:

Awe man,,,,,,,,,,was just getting on now to order it,,,,,feel like ive been kicked in my hop sack,,,,ha!!!! Now i have to order somethig else to take advantage of the free shipping .._,,,,,:o

:)

Yep, but you can still make something very close based on the published recipe description and instructions.

I bet you could also donate if you wanted to.

Info here http://www.mrbeer.com/sir-kenneth-blonde-ale-collaboration  for instructions.

You could get all ingredients except grains from Mr B. AND get free shipping now

• 1 Canadian Blonde Brewing Extract(Yeast under lid. You won’t be using this.)
  • 1 Brewmax LME Softpak– Smooth
  •  - get someplace else or wait until available - 1 Packet Carapils Grains (4 oz.
  •   - get someplace else or wait until available - 1 Packet 2-Row Brewers Malt (4 oz.)
  • 1 Packet Sterling Hops (0.5 oz)
  • 2 Packets Saaz Hops (0.5 oz each)
  • 4 Muslin Sacks
  • 1 Safale US-05 Yeast
  • 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

You could work backwards from expected ABV and see. But that looks a bit high - just off the cuff.

The Can Blonde gives  3 to 3.5 % ABV, the Softpack another 1%,  8 oz grains -->  between 4 to 6 oz of extract ~ 0.5 to .75% totaling  4.5 to 5.25% range.

Brewers friend calculator gives 6.8%  if you ferment out 1.062 to 1.01.

SO working backwards using 4.5 to 5.25  ABV, I would think OG range 1.045 to 1.050 unless you put extra malt in it :-).

I brewed this today at a brewing event at Bust Head Brewing, Vint Hill, VA today.
It was Big Boots Brew Day.
Big Boots Brew Day was born from the Pink Boots Society members’ amazing participation in International Women’s Collaboration Brew Day to raise the profile of women in the industry and to raise the profile of beer to women. On Big Boots Brew Day, Pink Boots chapters, members, breweries, and supporters all get together, don their pink boots, and get brewing!
I did get pinked, and I wore my "Flash" shirt - well, it is mostly pink....

20160305_202002.png

20160305_101933.jpg

20160305_110010.jpg

20160305_110000.jpg

5 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

You could work backwards from expected ABV and see. But that looks a bit high - just off the cuff.

The Can Blonde gives  3 to 3.5 % ABV, the Softpack another 1%,  8 oz grains -->  between 4 to 6 oz of extract ~ 0.5 to .75% totaling  4.5 to 5.25% range.

Brewers friend calculator gives 6.8%  if you ferment out 1.062 to 1.01.

SO working backwards using 4.5 to 5.25  ABV, I would think OG range 1.045 to 1.050 unless you put extra malt in it :-).

Brewed exactly as the instructions said with the only difference I chilled the wort to 70 before I added to the gallon of cold water in the LBK. Took an OG reading before I pitched the yeast and it read 1.062 at 60 degrees. I did add about half a cup of boiled water to the HME can and LME soft pack to get every ounce of fermentables out. Once all the wort was added I only had to top of with a bit of water to reach the 8.5 liter mark. 

Hmm. I am not confident on OGs as measuring my last Dunkelweisen I got 1.035 after steeping 1..5 lbs of grain and using a Wheat HME can. Maybe I got nothing from the grains? but seemed strange. I soaked it for 50 min at 160.

According (again) to Brewer's Friend temp difference of 10 deg will only make an error of .001 so no big deal.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

3 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

OK I goofed up on my numbers. My Baltic Porter came in at 1.062 at 60 degrees, my Sir Kenneth Blonde came in at 1.052 at 60 degrees.. 

I swear next batch I'll minimize the distractions before posting final results. 

LOL. I don't have that excuse with mine - see last post edited.

5 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

OK I goofed up on my numbers. My Baltic Porter came in at 1.062 at 60 degrees, my Sir Kenneth Blonde came in at 1.052 at 60 degrees.. 

Interesting  - so estimated calculations are close.

Mr B says 3.5% for standard can  and 1% for softpack and a 75% utilization for grains (then using DME equivalent of 1% per 8 oz) gives the 1.052.

Nice. That is what I usually do with recipes, and don't usually bother with hydrometer  - not very scientific I am afraid.

For the DunkelWeisen I will have to see what it tastes like when done then I will know if I did badly on the grains. I will say that the initial 3 days of fermentation it was smelling VERY estery. I used about 4 gm yeast (1/3 Fermentis packet).

Oh on yeast amounts, I see Coopers uses a 7 gm packet of yeast for their 6 gal brew.

Compare Mr B at 5 gm for 2.2 gal and Fermentis pkts at 11.5g.

So I guess the Coopers beers are going to taste more estery from lower pitching rate.

Whereas a complete Fermentis pack in MR B 2.2 gal would taste much cleaner.

Hmm.

Brewing was meticulous and I kept decent notes. After the yeast was pitched my cousin, his girlfriend, my wife and I started to socialize (ie drink and gab about nothing in particular) that's where I goofed on asking my OG readings. I was thinking Sir Kenneth but looked at the Baltic Porter notes and thought, wow that's high. Disregard my previous babbling, it's all good now. 

There's a local micro brewery near me and I've been taking with the owner-operator about partial mash and all grain brewing. He told me the way he measures utilization of his grains is he eats them. Once after grinding to taste the profile and sweatiness and then after mashing and sprging. He says if the sweetness is gone he has good utilization, if not he sparges with more hot water. I ate some of the grains after the steep and rinse and I'll be damned,  there wasn't much sweetness left. Kind of tasted like porridge or plain old grits.  

12 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Good, we should have beer close to same time .  I'll be interested in your thoughts on it. Should be crisp, it had 1.5 oz added hops.

If I works well I may be doing that to more of them.

I tried a shot glass sample before I pitched the yeast and it tasted OK. Kind of sweet and malty but that's to be expected from fresh wort. Can't wait to see what the finished product tastes like. 

Question about fermenting time for Sir Kenneth.  I'll be at 21 days tomorrow.  But I saw a few bubbles still on top of the liquid in the LBK.  The bubbles look "fresh"...not just residual floaters on top.   I followed the recipe exactly.  Temperature has been steady between 68 deg F and 70 deg F.  Just looking through the LBK, the color looks great.

Should I take a hydrometer reading tomorrow and the next day and see if it's "done"...or just stick with the 3 weeks fermenting time and bottle tomorrow night no matter what?  The partial mash is a step up for me from the extract recipes so I'm not sure what the best process is for this one.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, K5WX said:

Question about fermenting time for Sir Kenneth.  I'll be at 21 days tomorrow.  But I saw a few bubbles still on top of the liquid in the LBK.  The bubbles look "fresh"...not just residual floaters on top.   I followed the recipe exactly.  Temperature has been steady between 68 deg F and 70 deg F.  Just looking through the LBK, the color looks great.

Should I take a hydrometer reading tomorrow and the next day and see if it's "done"...or just stick with the 3 weeks fermenting time and bottle tomorrow night no matter what?  The partial mash is a step up for me from the extract recipes so I'm not sure what the best process is for this one.  Thanks!

Bubbles mean nothing. Co2 can off-gas for several days after the fermentation has concluded. If you are judging whether your beer is done by how much it's bubbling, you can be waiting for weeks. If 21 days have passed and you fermented at the proper temps, your beer is done (it only take 7-14 days to ferment all of the sugar).

All beer will ferment for the same time regardless of how it was made. After the initial grain mash/steep, nothing else is different from any other refill or recipe.

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Bubbles mean nothing. Co2 can off-gas for several days after the fermentation has concluded. If you are judging whether your beer is done by how much it's bubbling, you can be waiting for weeks. If 21 days have passed and you fermented at the proper temps, your beer is done (it only take 7-14 days to ferment all of the sugar).

All beer will ferment for the same time regardless of how it was made. After the initial grain mash/steep, nothing else is different from any other refill or recipe.

That's what I needed to learn.  Thanks!

Tested final gravity of my Sir Kenneth Blonde today and hit 1.014, my original gravity hit 1.054. According to Screwy Brewer that makes 5.2% abv???? Target according to the website is 4.6%. I know my readings were corrected to 60 degrees according to my hydrometer. 

Anyway it has a nice straw color with a slight haze, nice futility aroma with a very clean almost lemony flavor. Over all a great recipe that I plan on brewing again.

Due to work schedule, I cold crash on Saturday and bottle on Tuesday

Pics below. 

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

Just now, Big Sarge said:

@sabres032 I'll have to admit, that's a pretty good looking beer! It's up there on my list of beers to brew next. 

Dooeeeet!!!! Final review when it's conditioned and ready to drink but so far this is a great recipe. Well done Mr. Beer, well done indeed. 

16 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

Dooeeeet!!!! Final review when it's conditioned and ready to drink but so far this is a great recipe. Well done Mr. Beer, well done indeed. 

Thanks! This was our Paladin Brewery collaboration. According to the Paladin Brewmaster, and the folks here at MRB, it was pretty spot-on. I'm quite proud of that one. :)

Also, keep in mind, that 100% of the proceeds from that beer go to the owner/Brewmaster of Paladin Brewing, John Chandler, who just defeated cancer. The proceeds help pay his medical bills. That ought to make you feel even better about brewing that beer, which was named in honor of John's grandfather, Ken Erdner, a veteran, and "a man who lives by the standards of chivalry exemplified by the knights of ole". :D

http://paladinbrewing.com/paladin-brewing-beer-flavors.html

36 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

Trust me, the desire to do so is high. I'm on a strict brewing allotment right now (SWMBO) and have been trying to maximize the brew supplies purchased. 

On a side note: I am still waiting on the release for the Naughty Cream Ale @MRB Josh R. I know it's probably the Notty shortage but I'd love to piece it together through you guys while local purchasing the yeast. 

47 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Thanks! This was our Paladin Brewery collaboration. According to the Paladin Brewmaster, and the folks here at MRB, it was pretty spot-on. I'm quite proud of that one. :)

I bottle Tuesday and I figure 4-5 weeks conditioning and I can give a final review. From what I see so far this is an excellent recipe. My honest opinion, don't let this one expire. 

27 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Also, keep in mind, that 100% of the proceeds from that beer go to the owner/Brewmaster of Paladin Brewing, John Chandler, who just defeated cancer. The proceeds help pay his medical bills. That ought to make you feel even better about brewing that beer, which was named in honor of John's grandfather, Ken Erdner, a veteran, and "a man who lives by the standards of chivalry exemplified by the knights of ole". :D

http://paladinbrewing.com/paladin-brewing-beer-flavors.html

What more can anyone expect? Brew an excellent beer and support a fellow brewmaster who beat cancer.  I'm going to order two more in the next day or two. 

Cheers @JohnChandler keep up the good fight, brother. #f***cancer

25 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

Trust me, the desire to do so is high. I'm on a strict brewing allotment right now (SWMBO) and have been trying to maximize the brew supplies purchased. 

On a side note: I am still waiting on the release for the Naughty Cream Ale @MRB Josh R. I know it's probably the Notty shortage but I'd love to piece it together through you guys while local purchasing the yeast. 

Sometimes SWMBO has no say when it comes to brewing beer. My wife is just beginning to understand this.