Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ninetoes

Candadian Draft

This is my favorite mix, I think. (But I probably say that about every beer I drink.) In any case, this is the mix I've used more often than any other. It's just so adaptable. It's light in color so you can keep it light or add darker malts to make a dark beer. It has a fair amount of hop bitterness so you can make a nicely balanced beer without boiling any more hops, or you can use it as a base for a more bitter and hoppier beer by adding some extra hops. In other words, I've got lots of ideas but I don't want to bore you by going through all of them.

Maybe you could say just a bit more about what sort of recipe idea you are looking for. It sounds like you have the Canadian Draft beer mix already and you want to know what sort of other ingredients to put with it? Do you have other ingredients on hand or do you want to buy more? Are you talking about other Mr. Beer ingredients only? Is there a particular beer style or quality (hoppy, malty, full bodied, light bodied, etc.) that you like?

You should start by enhancing the alcohol content. :drink: Not sure if you've ever been to Canada and tried their beer but it is much stronger than your standard American brews. Even a Canadian beer exported to the U.S. is not as strong as if you get it there. Add some extra booster. Make it authentic. Juice that brew up!! B)

Yes, i have the mix and i want to know what to put with it. I am looking for a light bodied beer. I probably will be buying some ingredients to go along with the mix. I would like to use some ingredients in addition to the Mr Beer ingredients. Thanks.

Okay, light bodied. Three quick ideas to start with. These recipes are all available on the Mr. Beer website. Even if you don't try them, you might get some ideas about where you can go with this mix.

Polk's Pilsner. I'm fermenting my fourth batch of it now. It fits no standard beer style, but I really like it. I used an ale yeast the first time, but lager yeasts since. The lager yeasts work better for this beer, I think. If you can lager it in a secondary fermenter, or at least cold condition it in the bottles for a month or more, it will have a nice clean flavor and you'll love the hint of spicy coriander in the finish. (I did anyway.) I use Willamette hops but the current recipe says to use Spalt. That's probably fine. The hop flavor is there, but not overwhelming. I also add a little extra dry malt extract (about 4 oz.) that I boil with 1/4 oz. of hops (the Willamette or Spalt would do fine here too) for 45 minutes to add a little extra body and bitterness. You might want to try it according to the recipe the first time. Or not.

Czech Pilsner. I found it dissapointingly light bodied myself (was expecting more like Pilsner Urquelle) but the flavor was okay. If I do it again, I'm going to add a bit of dried malt extract to boost the body. I used the Superior (dry) lager yeast.

First Pitch Pilsner. Light bodied, but high in alcohol with a really strong hop flavor. Maybe too strong, but interesting. Might need more malt and bittering hops next time. I did steep some crystal malt with this when I made it, but I think that wasn't really the best idea. I used Superior (dry) lager yeast for that one too.