Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walt_felix

First batch of Octoberfest ready to bottle

20 posts in this topic

OK, so it's been 3 full weeks now my first batch of Oktoberfest.  Just compared my gravity.  Started at 1.055 and now 1.010.  I'm going to check it again tomorrow and bottle.  Has the expected slight Apple flavor. Almost a slight wine aroma and good color.  I think this will be great once conditioned long enough. 

So what next?     

MrWhy likes this

Did you bottle it yet, Felix?  If not then heed my advice.  Cut the recommended Mr. Beer amount of carbing sugar by 1/4.  I made this, followed the directions on bottling to the letter, and discovered that my beer had the mouth feel of champagne.  Good luck! :)

MrWhy, walt_felix and jsherman like this

Check the "Screwy brewer" calculator for priming sugar amount. Let your beer condition 6-8 weeks, and that will help reduce the green apple flavor. Just curious, did you add sugar or booster? What was the temperature during active fermentation? The reason I ask is that I have brewed the Oktoberfest more than once, and never had any off flavors.

jsherman likes this

Yes, I've been running the numbers via the calculators on Screwy Brewer. Looks like it's landing at about 5.9% ABV.  Targeting the

desired CO2 volumes  he listed, It says add almost 13tsb sugar but I figure I would do 12. 

I did use the refill with the booster pack but don't think it's an off flavor, I think this it's just green.  

Oktoberfest plus booster should be an ABV of around 4.2 or so. I suspect your OG was wrong or you added more than a packet of booster?

I was thinking the ABV was high but that's what the calculator returned. Readings started at 1.055 and now 1.010. Both taken at 70 degrees.  My wife had verified both readings.  One more thing to add is I noted the LBK foamed over considerably within 24 hours of starting.  Made quite a mess in the bottom of the cooler.  It did take a while to dissolve that booster pack when I brewed it. 

Yep Brewer's Friend : 1.05 -->1.010

You will know for sure when you drink it - lol.

Alcohol By Volume Calculator:
Gravity Unit: SG (1.xxx)
Plato °P
Original Gravity (OG):
Final Gravity (FG):
Equation: Standard
Alternate
(see below for more information)

Alcohol By Volume:
5.91%
Apparent Attenuation:
81%
Calories:
179.9 per 12oz bottle
Original Gravity:
13.57 °P, 1.055
Final Gravity:
2.56 °P, 1.010

Mr. Beer says 3.7% for base refills (many get 3.2% at best), plus 1% for booster = 4.2% - 4.7%.  Impossible to hit 5.9%. FG seems perfect, calc is right, so either OG reading is wrong or you did not make 2.13 gallons. Did you forget the top off water?

It was right on the #2 mark, now minus what I poured into the hydrometer tube last night.   The only thing I altered here was I fully disolved the booster pack into the water by bringing it to a boil then added the Extract.  There is a mismatch in the instructions.  Instructions on the Booster says add it to the water and bring to boil first, extract instruction said to add the booster after adding the extract to boiling water.   I did the booster first but I don't think that should make any difference.  The first real sign of abnormal behavior was 24 hours after placing the LBK in the cooler, I noticed it had seriously foamed over.  I just moped it up a bit with some paper towels, without moving the LBK.  I did notice last night what I poured from the tube into a small glass and drank, had a little kick to it but I had just dismissed that as my blood sugar was low because I was busy at work and hadn't eaten all day.  It doesn't take much when I'm hungry.

Also note, Oktoberfest Lager Standard Refill say 5%.    The booster took some effort to disolve,  I had to continually whisk it to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Some of it didn't disolve until it was at a full boil.

14 minutes ago, walt_felix said:

It was right on the #2 mark, now minus what I poured into the hydrometer tube last night.   The only thing I altered here was I fully disolved the booster pack into the water by bringing it to a boil then added the Extract.  There is a mismatch in the instructions.  Instructions on the Booster says add it to the water and bring to boil first, extract instruction said to add the booster after adding the extract to boiling water.   I did the booster first but I don't think that should make any difference.  The first real sign of abnormal behavior was 24 hours after placing the LBK in the cooler, I noticed it had seriously foamed over.  I just moped it up a bit with some paper towels, without moving the LBK.  I did notice last night what I poured from the tube into a small glass and drank, had a little kick to it but I had just dismissed that as my blood sugar was low because I was busy at work and hadn't eaten all day.  It doesn't take much when I'm hungry.

Also note, Oktoberfest Lager Standard Refill say 5%.    Also, the booster took some effort to disolve,  I had to continually whisk it to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Some of it didn't disolve until it was at a full boil.

I can't believe your extract instructions said to add the extract to boiling water. Never do that.

Using the measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot. Bring water to a boil, and then remove from heat. Open the can of Brewing Extract and pour it into the hot water. Open Booster packet and slowly pour into hot mixture while stirring. Continue to stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.

I'm not boiling the wort, the instructions are to boil the water, remove from heat and add extract to the hot water, then add the booster.

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/standard-refills/oktoberfest-lager-standard-refill

There is noting about letting the water cool down before adding the extract and booster. Just remove from heat.

On the back of the booster bag itself it said to add the booster to cold water and bring to boil, then remove it from the burner and add the extract.   In the end, what was going into the LBK was the same either way, so I don't think this would make any difference.

8 minutes ago, walt_felix said:

On the back of the booster bag itself it said to add the booster to cold water and bring to boil, then remove it from the burner and add the extract.   In the end, what was going into the LBK was the same either way, so I don't think this would make any difference.

It's easier to dissolve in cool water. It gums up in hot water and takes a little longer. Either way is fine, though.

The can by itself is 3.1 - 3.2%, 3.7% if Josh makes it. The booster adds 1.3% per the site, so you might hit 5% if you are Josh,  more likely 4.5%.  5.9% is simply not possible.

My opinion is that the booster adds to the green apple taste. Also, was the 70 deg ambient air temperature or the temperature of the fermenting keg? 70 might be a touch high. Anyway, it should condition out in a few weeks. Wait for this beer.

RickBeer and walt_felix like this

13 hours ago, Brian N. said:

My opinion is that the booster adds to the green apple taste. Also, was the 70 deg ambient air temperature or the temperature of the fermenting keg? 70 might be a touch high. Anyway, it should condition out in a few weeks. Wait for this beer.

Yes, any non-malt adjunct can contribute to the flavor as well, especially in lighter beers.

19 hours ago, Brian N. said:

70 was the temp of the wort at the time I took the gravity reading (taken with a thermometer before I pinched the yeast). I specifically targeted that temp based on the writeup on the Screwy Brewer site. 

(OG) - Original Gravity

The first reading is of the beer in your fermenter, before you start the fermentation process. Take this reading when all the water has been added and you are ready to pitch the yeast. Pour a sample out of the tap into a test flask and set it aside to cool to about 70F (20C).

(FG) - Final Gravity
The second reading is of the finished beer. This is taken when you are ready to bottle your beer and this too should be about 70F (20C).

The LBK sat in cooler that stayed a pretty consistent 68-70 degrees for the three weeks it fermented according to the digital wifi thermometer I have in the cooler, I have that sensor programed to one of the channels of a home weather station server so I have a log of cooler temp data captured at 5 min increments for the entire time.  That sensor is not directly in the wort, but inside the closed cover of the cooler itself and should be pretty close to the liquid wort temp. The second gravity reading was taken a few minutes after I pulled the LBK out of the cooler. I'm very confident in the data I have here.  I know there have been some challenges to the 5.9% number, myself included, but that's what the math is coming up with based on the data.  I too think it is high but can't explain why based on what I've read about this refill.  

I can see in the log exactly when I opened the lid of the cooler after the first day and took a few minutes to mop up the foam in the bottom of the cooler.  The temp cooler dropped to 66 while the lid was open but rose back to 68 within an hour.

Dunno if I want to make the Oktoberfest or the Diablo IPA next. I bought another LBK kit recently and it came with the Diablo IPA. I'd like to know how your batch of Oktoberfest turns out.