MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

284 posts in this topic

So what does everyone have going on with the brewing schedule? I am out of town off an on a bit coming up and wanted to have everything brewed and bottled before then...so I sat down and sketched out my schedule....

Sat 2/27 - Brewed Kenneth Blonde - DONE!

Fri 3/4 - Bottle my ESB+ (ESB hopped with Goldings); Brew Dortmunder - DONE!

Sat 3/12 -  Chill! ** MAJOR ERROR** Misread a calendar and bottled Kenneth Blonde...ONE WEEK EARLY!! Donkey Spit what is wrong with me....

Sat 3/12 - Brew Quad

Sat 3/19 - Brew Festivus

Sat 3/26 - Bottle Dortmunder, Brew Hopped CAL

Sat 4/2 - Bottle Quad, Brew Bovine

Sat 4/9 - Bottle Festivus (3 weeks); bottle CAL (2 weeks.)

Sat 4/16 -  CHILL.

Sat 4/23 - Bottle Bovine.....AND DONE!

(AS THE SCHEDULE CHANGES I AM EDITING THIS).

And that shuts me down until May....

What do you all think? What are you all up to the next few weeks?

Nice schedule.  Ambitious indeed.  I like it!

How long did you boil the Goldings hops in your ESB, and/or did you dry hop?  I ask because I added 1/2 oz of Goldings to my latest ESB using a 10 minute boil for flavor/aroma, which I felt was lacking a bit the first time I brewed it.   The results were quite good.

As for my brewing schedule, I've got my Mad Scientist Imperial Stout in one of my LBKs, with three weeks to go in the fermenting (per JoshR's advice I'm planning to let this one go a few extra days to be sure that all the fermentables are consumed).  At the moment I'm pushing the limits of my supply of bottles, so I'll probably wait a short while before my next brew which will probably be a Smoked Porter or a Coffee Stout.  There's also the Baltic Porter, but I need to replace the S-04 yeast before I can make it (of course, all that takes is a trip to my LHBS).  My Dortmunder Export Lager will be eligible for drinking in a couple of weeks, but I think I'll let that one lager for while ... after giving one bottle a try, of course!

MrWhy likes this

9 hours ago, MichaelL said:

Nice schedule.  Ambitious indeed.  I like it!

How long did you boil the Goldings hops in your ESB, and/or did you dry hop?  I ask because I added 1/2 oz of Goldings to my latest ESB using a 10 minute boil for flavor/aroma, which I felt was lacking a bit the first time I brewed it.   The results were quite good.

As for my brewing schedule, I've got my Mad Scientist Imperial Stout in one of my LBKs, with three weeks to go in the fermenting (per JoshR's advice I'm planning to let this one go a few extra days to be sure that all the fermentables are consumed).  At the moment I'm pushing the limits of my supply of bottles, so I'll probably wait a short while before my next brew which will probably be a Smoked Porter or a Coffee Stout.  There's also the Baltic Porter, but I need to replace the S-04 yeast before I can make it (of course, all that takes is a trip to my LHBS).  My Dortmunder Export Lager will be eligible for drinking in a couple of weeks, but I think I'll let that one lager for while ... after giving one bottle a try, of course!

I did the same as you - boiled the 1/2 for 10 minutes. Looking forward to trying it. As much as I do not want to be a mad scientist, I am thinking that adding some hops each brew would be a good thing. 

MichaelL likes this

4 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Okay I think that's great and all, but you obviously forgot one very important thing!

5/30- Invite entire forum down for a beer.

JK... That sounds great!!! :)

I 've just been assuming there is a summer or winter get together for the MB Community....we all go down the HQ with bottles of our stuff...they crack open their up and coming beers.....is this not a thing????

MichaelL, AnthonyC and Bighead beer like this

Just an update to the schedule -

The Mr. Beer shipment came in today and the Sir Kenneth is here! So excited.

So tomorrow (2/27) I will definitely brew the Sir Kenneth. I don't want those ingredients sitting around for a week. If I have the time to hunt down a fourth cooler, I will also brew the Dortmunder......not sure if I will or will not. I'll update everything accordingly once I find out.

Another thing - this means I now have a BOTTLE CAPPER! So when I bottle my ESB+ next weekend....I will be able to put some (or all) into some real honest to goodness glass. Not sure if I see myself going all glass all the time....but I wont really know until I try.

Happy things happening.

AnthonyC, MichaelL and TonyKZ1 like this

Right now I've got a slightly modified Howling Red Ale in an LBK (sixth batch of this recipe) which will be ready to cold-crash in about 10 days. I just started brewing my second batch of Novacaine yesterday, and tomorrow I'd like to start another batch of Wild Wheat. A while back, Mr. Beer gave me a great deal on two Winter Dark Ale HME's which I'll start brewing into 4.5 gallons of Wicked Winter Warmer during the next couple of weeks. Towards the end of March I'll get another batch of Howling Red Ale going, again - it's my wife's favorite  :wub:  I took advantage of Mr. Beers 25% off sale and I'll have a large enough inventory of HME's and LME's to brew all my favorite recipes through this time next year AND do a little experimenting, too. Man, I love this hobby!

MrWhy and AnthonyC like this

12 minutes ago, fortybelowzero said:

Right now I've got a slightly modified Howling Red Ale in an LBK (sixth batch of this recipe) which will be ready to cold-crash in about 10 days. I just started brewing my second batch of Novacaine yesterday, and tomorrow I'd like to start another batch of Wild Wheat. A while back, Mr. Beer gave me a great deal on two Winter Dark Ale HME's which I'll start brewing into 4.5 gallons of Wicked Winter Warmer during the next couple of weeks. Towards the end of March I'll get another batch of Howling Red Ale going, again - it's my wife's favorite  :wub:  I took advantage of Mr. Beers 25% off sale and I'll have a large enough inventory of HME's and LME's to brew all my favorite recipes through this time next year AND do a little experimenting, too. Man, I love this hobby!

Completely jealous of both the Winter Warmer and taking advantage of the 25% sale....Where do you guys store all this stuff?

Problem is my garage (where things are stored) is just too hot. I can't store there. Even my "storage" room upstairs, which needs to be cleaned out, etc. gets way too hot.

I've been thinking of buying a fridge and temp control unit for fermenting in the garage because this ice method can be a pain in rear....maybe I need to by a fridge to store ingredient as well.....but then will the cost of running another fridge outweigh any "buy in bulk" savings.

Also - just looked up that Howling Red Ale. That looks like good stuff. Another added to the list!

AnthonyC likes this

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Completely jealous of both the Winter Warmer and taking advantage of the 25% sale....Where do you guys store all this stuff?

Problem is my garage (where things are stored) is just too hot. I can't store there. Even my "storage" room upstairs, which needs to be cleaned out, etc. gets way too hot.

I've been thinking of buying a fridge and temp control unit for fermenting in the garage because this ice method can be a pain in rear....maybe I need to by a fridge to store ingredient as well.....but then will the cost of running another fridge outweigh any "buy in bulk" savings.

Also - just looked up that Howling Red Ale. That looks like good stuff. Another added to the list!

I store in the tortoise room, Mr Why.  It's the perfect place.  My fiancée (I say wife occasionally) is terrified of them, so she has NO idea what I have going on in there!! :):)

MrWhy likes this

@AnthonyC  This is Tobina, a Greek Tortoise I got at age 10, 60+ years ago,  and mates and offspring ( pics taken about 8 years ago). Still healthy and breeding as of last contact. My mother incubated her eggs in a box by the water heater several times after recovering them from the flower bed.

DSC04111.JPG

DSC04115.JPG

MrWhy, morriganpoe, AnthonyC and 1 other like this

Alright - Just finished brewing the Sir Kenneth Blonde. Excited to see how it turns out.

I followed the recipe to the letter and did nothing stupid. At least nothing that I know of. Surprisingly had no real trouble holding the grain temp at 160. It started a bit too high (180) but I brought that down with some fresh water and from then it was easy.

One issue - four cups of water was nowhere near enough to even come close to covering the sack of grains. Needed double that, and I am not using a giant pot. Was covering the grains that important? Did I mess everything up by using 8 cups of water instead of 4? I hope not.

The only other issue was pitching temp. Even using a gallon of cold and topping off with cold, it is still too warm....I think. But definitely not hot.

I put the LBK into a pre-cooled cooler and just added a couple of extra ice bottles. I will monitor the temp carefully today and tomorrow.

And that is it for the Kenneth Blonde until March 19!

While using the grains was definitely fun, I can see that it is not something I would want to do EVERY brew. The ease of full extract brewing with HME became very apparent during this process.

K5WX, morriganpoe and Bonsai & Brew like this

4 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

@AnthonyC  This is Tobina, a Greek Tortoise I got at age 10, 60+ years ago,  and mates and offspring ( pics taken about 8 years ago). Still healthy and breeding as of last contact. My mother incubated her eggs in a box by the water heater several times after recovering them from the flower bed.

DSC04111.JPG

DSC04115.JPG

That is SO amazing!  They're great pets.  I'm always astonished by how much character they have.  Mine are African Spur Thighs.  I have 2 females and a male, but they're too young to breed (3yrs, 3months).

MrWhy likes this

Anyway, on topic:

2/15  Started "Valentines Lager":  American Lager with 2 oz mix of choc and pale choc grains and 2 oz Cara 40 steeped. DME mix 1.5 cups Sparkling  Amber, 3/4 cup Wheat,  2 oz Trad Dark, 0.5 oz FF 7C's hop, S-05 yeast.

2/24 Bottled  the "No Grapefruit" Diablo  (Citrous hops only (1.5 oz))

2/25 Started DunkelWeissen : Bav Weiss HME, 1 lb Trad Dark DME, flameout hop 0.5 German Hallertauer. About 1/3 new pkt Munich Wheat yeast (underpitched). fermented around 70. Careful not to aerate well. (Slow water pouring).  Smells very aromatic

3/5 Start  Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale at Pink Boots Brew event at BustHead Brewery.

3/7 Bottle Valentines Lager

3/15 Start a Partial Mash DunkelWeissen: Bavarian WeissBier  HME+0.5 lb Wheat DME (or 0.75 lb Malted Wheat Grain), 2 oz Dark DME, 4 oz Vienna Malt grain, 4 oz Munich Malt grain, 2 oz CaraWheat grain, 1 oz dehusked Choc Malt grain, (??? do I need this- 0.125 oz SINAMAX for color), flameout hop 0.5 oz German Hallertauer. 1/3 pkt Munich yeast (half remainder of pkt.)  (Or closest if I can't get these ingredients).

MrWhy and AnthonyC like this

On 2/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, MrWhy said:

Alright - Just finished brewing the Sir Kenneth Blonde. Excited to see how it turns out.

I followed the recipe to the letter and did nothing stupid. At least nothing that I know of. Surprisingly had no real trouble holding the grain temp at 160. It started a bit too high (180) but I brought that down with some fresh water and from then it was easy.

One issue - four cups of water was nowhere near enough to even come close to covering the sack of grains. Needed double that, and I am not using a giant pot. Was covering the grains that important? Did I mess everything up by using 8 cups of water instead of 4? I hope not.

The only other issue was pitching temp. Even using a gallon of cold and topping off with cold, it is still too warm....I think. But definitely not hot.

I put the LBK into a pre-cooled cooler and just added a couple of extra ice bottles. I will monitor the temp carefully today and tomorrow.

And that is it for the Kenneth Blonde until March 19!

While using the grains was definitely fun, I can see that it is not something I would want to do EVERY brew. The ease of full extract brewing with HME became very apparent during this process.

8 cups is fine to use. I may go through and have the recipes updated to 6 cups, just to be sure since many people won't understand that they need to be using smaller pots. My 4 qt pot is fine using 4 cups for that recipe. But it doesn't hurt to use more water if you need to.

A work conference ended early so I decided to bottle AND brew.

MY FIRST FORAY INTO GLASS! Loved it. I did not find that it added that much work and the benefits outweigh the cons in my opinion. That is not to say I will give up on plastic forever...but I'm loving glass. Pictured is the bottling of my Hopped ESB, bottle (GLASS!) and sample. The sample was great. No off tastes, the hops are coming through. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Next for the PM is brewing up the Hopped Dortmunder, Ale style. Will post on that when I am done.

bottleandsample.JPG

Wow! Bottled (WITH GLASS) AND brewed. A major step up in production for me.

Here is what I brewed - A Dortmunder Seasonal Extra -

Tried to avoid MAD SCIENTIST mode - but not sure if I did.

Dortmunder Seasonal + 1 pale, brewed as Ale with S-05, Warrior, Saaz, and Williamette hops.

6 cups of water - put in Warrior hops and pale, brought to boil

added Saaz at boil, boiled for 10 minutes

turned off heat and added Williamette - let sit for a few minutes

removed hop sacks and put them into the LBK (last time the hop sacks splashed into the LBK. I did not like that.)

stirred Dortmunder into wort.

added cold water to LBK, added wort, topped off with cold.

whisked with vigor, added S-05

---

And there we go. will ferment for three weeks.

--

Temps here are really funky. Past few days it has been mid fifties in the AM (lower during night) and mid to upper 80s in the afternoon. Today was in the low sixties all day. Will see what happens. The Kenneth blonde is beyond the few day stage so not too worried. Kept the temps as stable as I could.
-

For the Dortmunder plus I might just roll with fate. What happens happens.

-

Proudly showed my wife my first GLASS BOTTLE. Her response "Haven't you bottled like ten times already?"

My response "No. And this is GLASS!"

Her - "Haven't you been using glass?"

Me - "Never mind."

-

When I win my first brewing award, she is not getting mentioned.

Big Sarge and Bighead beer like this

Bottling That Voodoo That You Do 2/6/16 

Brewing Kenneth Blonde 2/6/16

Drinking Millennium Falconers Flight Red

??

MrWhy likes this