Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

Recommended Posts

I was thinking about brewing a stout on friday, but that didn't work out. The three year old is currently an insomniac. 

 

Thought i could sneak in maybe a PM MRB rye ipa brew tonight but that didnt work out. Three year old is currently an insomniac.

 

so instead while he ate popcorn and watched bob the builder i polished up three fermenters, two kettles and one cooler. When a brew day does present itself, i will be ready.

IMG_3076.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2017 at 10:14 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I was thinking about brewing a stout on friday, but that didn't work out. The three year old is currently an insomniac. 

 

Thought i could sneak in maybe a PM MRB rye ipa brew tonight but that didnt work out. Three year old is currently an insomniac.

 

so instead while he ate popcorn and watched bob the builder i polished up three fermenters, two kettles and one cooler. When a brew day does present itself, i will be ready.

IMG_3076.JPG

 

Wow. That is so beautiful. It brings a tear to my eye.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thu Jun 8, 2017

 

Sampling some of my home brews tonight. Having my Redo-Ale and going to have my Hopped CAL. The Redo Ale is the re-brew of my first beer. It uses the American Ale as a base with some more LMEs, Saaz, and t-58 for the yeast. The Hopped CAL was a Classic American Light hopped up with Zythos. Both have been conditioning for three  four weeks, which is a bit on the short side for me, but since I brew better now I'm thinking they should at least be drinkable. Plus neither of these were beers I was looking to age for a long time anyways.

 

Both beers bottled on weekend of 5/6.

 

Starting with my Redo Ale.  American ALE HME.  Booster. Gold LME. Smooth LME. Double Saaz at 5 minutes. T-58. This is not bad. It still tastes a bit young. Nice amber color. The saaz is a bit too present and overpowers some of the flavors of the yeast. I also fermented a bit too cool and should have upped the temps a bit to get a bit more out of the yeast. But I think if I give this one six weeks, that will be the sweet spot.

 

Next up is my Hopped CAL. I went with my base which is CAL, booster, Pale LME, Gold LME, and S-05 yeast. The hop schedule was .5 oz Chinook for 30, .5 oz zythos for 20, 1.0 oz zythos for 10, .5 Zythos for 5. This is not as good as I had hoped. I am wondering if the chinook was necessary and think it added the wrong bitterness. Or maybe the flavor of Zythos is not as good as the aroma. It definitely smells better than it tastes. It is not bad, but it is not working out either. I do like the aroma of the Zythos though. Or maybe there is just an off flavor. Hard to tell sometimes. I don't know if I am going to sit on this one. I don't really see the need. Will put this into the rotation and start drinking to free up some bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Bavarian Weissbier that will be ready to bottle in two weeks that I'm going to add some Cherry Brewer's Extract to have some cherry wheat beers ready by the end of July.  Then brewing That Voodoo That You Do in July to be ready for the start of football season, the Pumpkin Weissbier recipe in August to be ready by October, and the Czech Pilsner refill with added Hallertu hops in September to be ready by November.

 

Currently have on hand a few Nilla Porters, Falconer's Millenium Red, Aztec Cerveza, and Diablo IPAs.

 

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zorak1066 said:

if i could get a weekend without thunderstorms... and get out to go shopping... I have a chimay dubbel clone recipe with a decoction mash,  and a Belgian quad recipe that I am itching to try.

Sooo. Decoction mash... I just watched a video on it. You ever done one before? I applaud the extra effort for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive done a pseudo decoction where you draw off some of the mash and bring it to a boil to carmelize it a bit.  ive done one where I took a lb of dme in I think 2 liters of water and boiled it down to less than half its volume before adding it to a 90 min boil.  this will be a single decoction mash.  will bring mash up to about 125f , draw off about 6 cups of gruel .. heat to 150f... rest it for 12-20 mins.. then raise to boiling for about 20 minutes.  stirring like mad the whole time of course.  then add back to mash tun til mash hits 152f. cover and  lower remaining decoction to 150ish before stirring into mash tun.  lot of extra work... but then again I love overcomplicating things. looking to hit all those extra notes you get in a trappist ale from decocting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

ive done a pseudo decoction where you draw off some of the mash and bring it to a boil to carmelize it a bit.  ive done one where I took a lb of dme in I think 2 liters of water and boiled it down to less than half its volume before adding it to a 90 min boil.  this will be a single decoction mash.  will bring mash up to about 125f , draw off about 6 cups of gruel .. heat to 150f... rest it for 12-20 mins.. then raise to boiling for about 20 minutes.  stirring like mad the whole time of course.  then add back to mash tun til mash hits 152f. cover and  lower remaining decoction to 150ish before stirring into mash tun.  lot of extra work... but then again I love overcomplicating things. looking to hit all those extra notes you get in a trappist ale from decocting.

Ive heard it adds a very unique flavor and some sweetness to the finished beer. Not sure what styles i would use it for for my own tastes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a bit since I've posted. Looking at my calendar, I have not had a weekend home in well over a month! Crazy times with a lot going on.

 

That being said, a few things. I sampled my all-grain BIAB London Porter. An outstanding beer and I'll do a full write up tomorrow. (Not tomorrow. I don't have any that are cold.)

 

Why Brewing Co is moving.......OUTSIDE! I've got my burner, my wort chiller, my propane tank. Everything is ready to go and I'm really excited for this. I CAN do BIAB on the stove, but the child does not like the smell and I'm to tender a soul to cause misery to my own offspring. But like I said, I'm excited.

 

I've got my next BIAB recipe. I'm just doing my own thing. Going with 9lbs Maris Otter, dry belle saison yeast, and going to bitter with a bit of chinook I have and flavor with some cascade. It is looking to come in (based on the brewing calculators) at 9%. 

 

I'm going big and bold because this one is going to ferment warm. My real fridge is on the fritz so my fermentation fridges are taking up the slack at the moment. Plus this brew is really less about the brew and more about learning my process for outdoor brewing. I figured, just go with something that will be a nice solid ABV, a yeast that can get naughty, and add hops.

 

I'll post more about the process, maybe even throw in some pics (safe for work) and do a full write up.

 

As always thanks to everyone who has offered me help and advice through this process!

 

Peace fellow brewers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 10:11 PM, Creeps McLane said:

You sir are making beer! Congrats to you. Honestly you will notice a difference switching to all grain. This is a big step and its easy to get caught up in it but after a brew or two you will see yourself getting better and by then you'll know what works for you and what doesn't. Maybe you need a few more pieces, maybe you can make what you have work for you. Its all in your hands 

 

 

 

@Creeps McLane - you good sir are right. I sampled the London porter a bit back, and it was a great beer. I absolutely loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting used to the timing of BIAB/all-grain is a switch. 60+ minutes for a mash.....60 minute hop boil.....I just realized no way I would have time this AM. I am either going to brew this up this evening (cooler too) or wait until tomorrow when I have no commitments other than eating burgers and hot dogs and drinking some beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First outdoor all grain brew today. 

 

Set up up and ready.IMG_5137.JPG.04d7350f43543822c030d4a761b1f290.JPG

 

Got the water going up to 170 with ease. 

 

Once water was at temp, added the 9 pounds of Maris Otter.

 

IMG_5140.JPG.e4dcfe552e20917b663caa5c90625bf9.JPG

 

I let it mash at 160. Temp held really well.  I ended up just letting it sit for 75 minutes. By then temp had dropped to 150.

 

IMG_5141.JPG.2bf41199223b22f44c94bd2ce6855169.JPG

 

I don't do mashouts or anything crazy yet. I don't spare since I'm going full boil. I pull the bag out and let it drip. Then I squeeze. Yes, it is frowned upon. But I squeeze with no shame.

 

IMG_5142.JPG.1427c86a5b299a7b5f913d0e7c414eec.JPGWort ready to boil.

 

IMG_5143.JPG.9c53f9adc30090555f4e3ff62c411943.JPG

 

Wort foam! I did not let it boil over.

 

IMG_5145.JPG.748ac0e2c6bd54dfdd37c0e02d9fa90a.JPG 

 

First hop addition- .5 oz chinook. 60. Second was another .5 chinook with a smattering of cascade at 30. (Don't ask). .25 cascade at 15. .35 at 5

 

IMG_5147.JPG.8fc4685d641b37cf0b08df26557a19f1.JPG

 

Chillin! Wort chill in effect. Yes. That is a snowman oven mitt. No shame in the game.

 

Didnt get any pics of the transfer to the LBK but it was seamless.

 

Pitched the saison yeast and this bad boy is in cooler fermenting naturally. No temp control. What happens happens.

 

IMG_5148.JPG.a030b785e574eef101533aa82b63834d.JPG

 

Three weeks and I will bottle.

 

Not sure how this is going to turn out. I did not really put a lot of thought into this beer. I just wanted to get a brew in to start learning my outdoor process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MrWhy looks great! 

 

Im a squeezer, and then a poker and a resqueezer. But its all done with loving hands and not abusive ones. 

 

Really digging the oven mit...

 

whats it fermenting at? The lower the temp, the less funky it will be. Anything below 70 i feel will still have more of a pale ale feel than a saison. Which would be fine. Your ingredients look like the makings of a wonderful pale ale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2017 at 6:54 AM, Creeps McLane said:

@MrWhy looks great! 

 

Im a squeezer, and then a poker and a resqueezer. But its all done with loving hands and not abusive ones. 

 

Really digging the oven mit...

 

whats it fermenting at? The lower the temp, the less funky it will be. Anything below 70 i feel will still have more of a pale ale feel than a saison. Which would be fine. Your ingredients look like the makings of a wonderful pale ale.

 

Should be anywhere from the mid 70s to high 80s. Possibly higher, so we should have plenty of funk. 

 

I am down with this whole outdoor BIAB thing, but now I understand why it is called a brew DAY. Took a lot longer than I was expecting. If I find a beer I really like, I may attempt to up it to a 5 gallon brew........we will see.

 

The process was easy enough even in this learning stage. I've never worked with propane before. All my BBQing is charcoal.....but it was simple. I did not blow anything up or set anything on fire. Shocked at how much HEAT is produced. Even standing over it to add hops or stir was like "whoa."

 

Not completely happy with my concord burner. Quality is lame. BUT.....I did get it on sale (25% off!) AND because of the lame quality when I called to complain they knocked some more dollars off the price. So in the end the thing cost me less than 40 bucks. And it brought everything to temp very fast. Much faster than my two burner stovetop set up.

 

The whole thing should be easier next time. I understand the flow better, know what can be set up earlier, what can wait until mashing time, boil time, etc.

 

@Creeps McLane or anyone else.......dumb question......how do I know how much propane I have left in the tank????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

Should be anywhere from the mid 70s to high 80s. Possibly higher, so we should have plenty of funk. 

 

I am down with this whole outdoor BIAB thing, but now I understand why it is called a brew DAY. Took a lot longer than I was expecting. If I find a beer I really like, I may attempt to up it to a 5 gallon brew........we will see.

 

The process was easy enough even in this learning stage. I've never worked with propane before. All my BBQing is charcoal.....but it was simple. I did not blow anything up or set anything on fire. Shocked at how much HEAT is produced. Even standing over it to add hops or stir was like "whoa."

 

Not completely happy with my concord burner. Quality is lame. BUT.....I did get it on (25% off!) AND because of the lame quality when I called to complain they knocked some more dollars off the price. So in the end the thing cost me less than 40 bucks. And it brought everything to temp very fast. Much faster than my two burner stovetop set up.

 

The whole thing should be easier next time. I understand the flow better, know what can be set up earlier, what can wait until mashing time, boil time, etc.

 

@Creeps McLane or anyone else.......dumb question......how do I know how much propane I have left in the tank????

 

Pour a glass of hot water down the side of the tank, then run your hand down from the top along the path you poured the water.  Where the tank is warm, it's empty.  When it starts feeling cool, that's your propane level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shrike said:

 

Pour a glass of hot water down the side of the tank, then run your hand down from the top along the path you poured the water.  Where the tank is warm, it's empty.  When it starts feeling cool, that's your propane level.

 

Shrike is a living fountain of knowledge and wisdom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrWhy said:

but now I understand why it is called a brew DAY.

LOL.  I hear ya...  Its funny how that jump from MRB to BIAB adds time to the brew day.  Going to 5 gals wont add much more time, jumping to 10 gals adds a little more too, but with each step you are getting so much more.  That's what I remind myself when I have days like my last brew day that took 9 hours from start to clean up. I got 30 gals though, so overall the time sure seems worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrWhy said:

how do I know how much propane I have left in the tank????

I like @Shrike's answer.  I've never tried that.  I weigh mine.  The tank itself is ~15#.  A full tank with 4.7 gals, which weighs 20#, in it is ~35#.  If at all possible, if you have one locally, go to a place to refill vs exchange.  It's much cheaper.  My wife flipped one for me Saturday and got a good deal on it for $17.99.  Now, if that tank was fully empty, that would be ~$3.83/gallon.   I had my 2 filled (topped off) last night for $2.49/gallon.  If it were empty (neither were), that would be $11.70/tank. Even at the "good deal" price for an exchange (vs like Home Depot or Lowes for $19.99), you can see it's better to refill... especially once you start doing more and more BIABs and need more propane more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

 

Shrike is a living fountain of knowledge and wisdom. 

 

I use charcoal exclusively now, but when I was still working long days I always used propane for the speed and convenience.  After having a tank run out mid-way through a beer-can chicken I vowed "NEVER AGAIN!" while shaking my fist at the tank with a baleful glare in my eyes.  I learned the hot water trick shortly thereafter from the guy I bought propane from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MrWhy said:

First outdoor all grain brew today. 

 

Set up up and ready.IMG_5137.JPG.04d7350f43543822c030d4a761b1f290.JPG

 

Got the water going up to 170 with ease. 

 

Once water was at temp, added the 9 pounds of Maris Otter.

 

IMG_5140.JPG.e4dcfe552e20917b663caa5c90625bf9.JPG

 

I let it mash at 160. Temp held really well.  I ended up just letting it sit for 75 minutes. By then temp had dropped to 150.

 

IMG_5141.JPG.2bf41199223b22f44c94bd2ce6855169.JPG

 

I don't do mashouts or anything crazy yet. I don't spare since I'm going full boil. I pull the bag out and let it drip. Then I squeeze. Yes, it is frowned upon. But I squeeze with no shame.

 

IMG_5142.JPG.1427c86a5b299a7b5f913d0e7c414eec.JPGWort ready to boil.

 

IMG_5143.JPG.9c53f9adc30090555f4e3ff62c411943.JPG

 

Wort foam! I did not let it boil over.

 

IMG_5145.JPG.748ac0e2c6bd54dfdd37c0e02d9fa90a.JPG 

 

First hop addition- .5 oz chinook. 60. Second was another .5 chinook with a smattering of cascade at 30. (Don't ask). .25 cascade at 15. .35 at 5

 

IMG_5147.JPG.8fc4685d641b37cf0b08df26557a19f1.JPG

 

Chillin! Wort chill in effect. Yes. That is a snowman oven mitt. No shame in the game.

 

Didnt get any pics of the transfer to the LBK but it was seamless.

 

Pitched the saison yeast and this bad boy is in cooler fermenting naturally. No temp control. What happens happens.

 

IMG_5148.JPG.a030b785e574eef101533aa82b63834d.JPG

 

Three weeks and I will bottle.

 

Not sure how this is going to turn out. I did not really put a lot of thought into this beer. I just wanted to get a brew in to start learning my outdoor process.

Awesome job, Mr. Why!!!!  ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kedogn said:

LOL.  I hear ya...  Its funny how that jump from MRB to BIAB adds time to the brew day.  Going to 5 gals wont add much more time, jumping to 10 gals adds a little more too, but with each step you are getting so much more.  That's what I remind myself when I have days like my last brew day that took 9 hours from start to clean up. I got 30 gals though, so overall the time sure seems worth it.

 

Adding to that, I did not really comprehend that being outside means weather matters. It was a HOT day, even starting in the late afternoon. And it wasn't even the hottest day of the week!  I really would not want to brew outside during one of the really hot summer days, no matter what time I started.

 

Which makes me realize I will always have a place for some nice Mr. Beer brews. Just ordered two batches to brew up some Hoppy CALs. Looking forward to some short, easy, inside brew sessions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×