MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

274 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Adding to that, I did not really comprehend that being outside means weather matters. It was a HOT day, even starting in the late afternoon. And it wasn't even the hottest day of the week!  I really would not want to brew outside during one of the really hot summer days, no matter what time I started.

I am assuming by this you are just talking about overall temperature for you yourself being comfortable.... but what you also need to take into account with the hotter weather is the affect on your mash temperature (obviously, colder can make a difference as well).  Take as an example the friend of mine that brewed at Manfish yesterday for us.  He told me that his mash temp was spot on after mashing in.  As usual, he put the lid on and checked it 15 minutes later.  To his surprise the temp went up almost a couple degrees.  On a typical brew day for us, this don't happen, it either holds true, or starts to drop.  He removed the lid and another 15 minutes later he realized it was up a couple 10th of a degree more.  At this point when he emailed me, I asked him where the sun was... his reply was, "Directly on the mash tun".  Had he not checked the temp when he did, the mash temp would have continued to rise at that pace (more than likely) and could have been well out of range for the beer he was brewing.   The weather, when brewing outdoors, can have a few effects on a brew day for sure :) 

hotrod3539 and MrWhy like this

July 12, 2017

Taking it Back to the Old School

--

Decided to get in a nice old school Mr. B session and brew up a Hoppy CAL using 3 packs of Falconer Flight hops. Went with 2 pale LME, 1 Golden LME, Brought those to a boil and did 2 packs with a 5 minute boil, then threw in the third pack at flameout. After stirred in the CAL HME. Looking forward to this one. I've always wanted to get a good sense of this hop.

A few notes -

* While I am loving BIAB and partial mashes, and all that, I cannot lie that it was REALLY nice doing a simple, quick, Mr. B brew. 

* For anyone reading this who is just starting out, keep brewing and master the process. I'm not suggesting I've mastered the process, but I am so much better now than I was when I started.  

* I'm done with hop sacks.

* I'm done with longer boils for my Hoppy CALs. All hop additions are going to be in the five to flameout range.

* I'm done with trying to pour hot wort. I'm giving everything an ice bath and bringing it down to manageable temp before I pour.

8 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

July 12, 2017

Taking it Back to the Old School

--

Decided to get in a nice old school Mr. B session and brew up a Hoppy CAL using 3 packs of Falconer Flight hops. Went with 2 pale LME, 1 Golden LME, Brought those to a boil and did 2 packs with a 5 minute boil, then threw in the third pack at flameout. After stirred in the CAL HME. Looking forward to this one. I've always wanted to get a good sense of this hop.

A few notes -

* While I am loving BIAB and partial mashes, and all that, I cannot lie that it was REALLY nice doing a simple, quick, Mr. B brew. 

* For anyone reading this who is just starting out, keep brewing and master the process. I'm not suggesting I've mastered the process, but I am so much better now than I was when I was started.  

* I'm done with hop sacks.

* I'm done with longer boils for my Hoppy CALs. All hop additions are going to be in the five to flameout range.

* I'm done with trying to pour hot wort. I'm giving everything an ice bath and bringing it down to manageable temp before I pour.

Why, Mr. Why.  It sounds like you've put together a very nice simple beer!  Isn't weird how we keep saying "simple" and "easy" when it comes to Mr. Beer recipes that gave us fits only 1+ yrs ago?  :)

MrWhy, kedogn, morriganpoe and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Why, Mr. Why.  It sounds like you've put together a very nice simple beer!  Isn't weird how we keep saying "simple" and "easy" when it comes to Mr. Beer recipes that gave us fits only 1+ yrs ago?  :)

Right!

I was thinking about how nonchalant and chill it has become. I know enough to be able to enjoy the process and not stress. 

morriganpoe and AnthonyC like this

July 17, 2017

Brewed up a Hoppy Cal, Ekuanot.

--

2 pale LME, 1 gold. pour into warm water then bring to a boil. 

3 packs Ekuanot hops

8 minute

4 minute

flameout

Stir in CAL

Ice bath to bring temp down, pour to LBK, top with room temp water. Whisk and pitch....then whisk again.......(explain later.)

LBK is now sitting in fridge set to 68...which means it will hover between 65 and 68 for the next three weeks until bottling.

--

Okay, two things a bit different here:

1.  For this batch there were some float-ey things going on with the LMEs. I am not sure if it was proteins, but I've never really noticed them before. Biggish clumps. hmmmmm........I figured eff it, anything bad is going to die in the boil, but still, especially combined with the next issue...

2.  After I whisked, the wort in the LBK had a foam MONSTER sitting on the top. Am I just getting better at whisking? I mean I whisked the sh!t out of this one. Am I getting better at lowering the wort temp? Both????? I don't know. But I was a bit confused as to what to do. Wait and let the foam settle? Pitch onto the foam? I decided to pitch onto the foam.....but then that seemed stupid to let all my little yeast friends rest on foam when what they wanted to do was get into the wort and make me beer.....so I ended up gently whisking again to make sure they got into the wort.

Whatever. Beer will happen one way or the other. That is my attitude.

I am not sure if that is a sign of my growth as a brewer....I have complete faith in yeast and wort to do their thing and will not stress.....or if it is a sign that I am getting too comfortable.....I am an Icarus rising to the sun and destined to crash to the earth, bones crushed and no beer for me.....

John K. likes this

Tasting Notes -

Hopped CAL - Base bittered with Chinook, Zythos hop for flavor and aroma.

This one was bottled on May 7, 2017. So we are about 10 weeks in. My last tasting I was a bit disappointed with the bittering. I felt it was too bitter and that did not let the Zythos shine through. I planned on not saving any and just drinking through the stock.

I am not deliberately aging these, but other beers have been calling so they have been sitting.

My original notes still hold true. This has a bitter, IPA like bite from the chinook, and honestly from the way I did the hop additions for the Zythos back then. But I like the beer now more than I did before. It is summer, and during the summer I tend to drink more IPAs, so perhaps my palate for "bitter" is back. Because what before was a bit of a bite that overpowered the hops, now I am tasting it as a nice IPA kick on the tongue with a pleasant flavor and aroma from the Zythos.

This is a good beer that I did not give enough credit earlier.

I like the Zythos hop. I think I am going to try and work an Imperial IPA with these as a heavy late addition. After I do my Cascade vs. Centennial Hopped CAL. And after I do my two Mexi-Belgi brews.  And my next all grain brew....my Very Simple Quad.....and my All Grain Pale Ale.....so many brews....so little time..... 

Bonsai & Brew and John K. like this

Tasting Notes

Lock Stock Barrel Stout, Bottled on April 1, 2017

I'm not going to go back and look up my notes on brewing this, but if I recall I forgot the chocolate malt. Other than that I brewed this per recipe instructions.

I know the instructions say six months to a year....but I decided it was time to try one. We are at 15 weeks, almost 4 months. That is enough time to test a bottle.

Color is deep. Almost black. Slight lacing. Not a lot of head on the top, but I wasn't expecting it. Nose is the Irish Stout with a strong oak and whiskey scent. Strong in a good way. it complements the stout scent.

Taste is outstanding. It has a great body and mouth feel. There is a slight bitterness (as there should be) that is balanced by the additions of the grains. Lots of flavor. The oak and whiskey are there, but in the background.

I want to say I purchased this recipe kit on sale, but it was still expensive.  HOWEVER.....good bourbon barrel aged stouts come in at a hefty price. This matches almost any bourbon barrel age stout I've purchased. It is a great beer with a great flavor.

I am not sure if I am going to keep aging this one. I'm not really getting the sense that it needs any more time. (Caveat.....I live in a warm area so my beers tend to develop quickly.)

I love this beer.

I am going to brew it again, but rework it a bit. I am going to tone it down a little (I cannot believe I just said this......) I'll go one HME, 1 smooth, 1 robust, and up the grains.......

37 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Tasting Notes

Lock Stock Barrel Stout, Bottled on April 1, 2017

I'm not going to go back and look up my notes on brewing this, but if I recall I forgot the chocolate malt. Other than that I brewed this per recipe instructions.

I know the instructions say six months to a year....but I decided it was time to try one. We are at 15 weeks, almost 4 months. That is enough time to test a bottle.

Color is deep. Almost black. Slight lacing. Not a lot of head on the top, but I wasn't expecting it. Nose is the Irish Stout with a strong oak and whiskey scent. Strong in a good way. it complements the stout scent.

Taste is outstanding. It has a great body and mouth feel. There is a slight bitterness (as there should be) that is balanced by the additions of the grains. Lots of flavor. The oak and whiskey are there, but in the background.

I want to say I purchased this recipe kit on sale, but it was still expensive.  HOWEVER.....good bourbon barrel aged stouts come in at a hefty price. This matches almost any bourbon barrel age stout I've purchased. It is a great beer with a great flavor.

I am not sure if I am going to keep aging this one. I'm not really getting the sense that it needs any more time. (Caveat.....I live in a warm area so my beers tend to develop quickly.)

I love this beer.

I am going to brew it again, but rework it a bit. I am going to tone it down a little (I cannot believe I just said this......) I'll go one HME, 1 smooth, 1 robust, and up the grains.......

Nice review, Mr. Why!  I'm looking forward to having one of these.  My only mod to the recipe was adding a 3rd Saint Pat's.  8mths down....  4 to go.

MrWhy likes this

Friday, July 28, 2017

Doing a kick ass double brew session. Just finished my Otra Noche.

Grains - Victory, Crystal 60, Red Wheat Flakes - mashed at 160-150 for 50 minutes

Add 1 Pale LME, 2 cups powdered coconut sugar

Bring to boil

At boil add 1 pack mesquite flour, 2 diced ancho chiles

Add 2 packs warrior hops

Boil all 5-6 minutes

Flameout, add 2 czech pilsner HMEs

Ice bath,

Pitch T-58

Put in the ferment fridge set at 70 degrees.

Already started the Stralende Sonrisa!

Grains - 2 packs 2 row, Cyrstal 15, Red wheat flakes, mashing at 160 - 150 for 50 minutes

Bring to boil, stir in 2 cups agave nectar

Nugget Hops - 10 minutes

Mosiac, El Dorado, Faclon, Cascade - 5 minutes

Flameout, add Pale LME, Aztec HME

Ice Bath, pitch T-58

Ferment at 70 degrees.

hotrod3539, AnthonyC and MRB Josh R like this

21 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Looks like some great recipes@MrWhy! Never used coconut sugar in brewing before. Let us know how it turns out!

Thank you Maestro!

The coconut sugar has a great taste and flavor. I was thinking I am going to use it in my coffee tomorrow, then it hit me....I am going to use it in a stout.

I am not sure how much coconut flavor will come out, but I am thinking my next Mr. Beer batches are going to be variation of the Lock, Stock and Barrel with Coconut sugar and rum soaked oak chips, and then a straight stout, but with some grains to freshen it up and coconut sugar to add a nuance and some ABV.

MRB Josh R likes this

Finished the Stralende Sonrisa.

I haven't done a Mr. B partial mash in awhile. I've changed my process up a bit, and not sure if it gets me "better" results, but it works better for my flow.

Essentially, I put the grains in the "big" pot with more than enough water. Get that to temp and then mash for as long as I have decided. (Today it was 50 minutes each batch.) At end of mash drain, pour some hot liquid over, and squeeze (I know. Don't judge me.)

Then depending, add what I need and bring that to a boil. It is one less pan and it fits my stove/style.

Another thing. I HATE pouring the LME/HME into the pot with a hop sack in it because the LME/HME gets on the sack. I hate that. So today I removed the hops sacks (I did not go commando), put them in the strainer getting them out of the way, then I poured the HME/LME in. Much happier.

These are both sitting in the fermenter at 70. Hoping to get some Belgian flavors out of the T-58. Plenty of towels under and around just in case one of them goes insane.

hotrod3539 likes this

Upcoming brew schedule?  still planning........perhaps in September.

wheats

ales

Lots of planning, considering it is close to family holiday season..........

hotrod3539 and MrWhy like this

So many possibilities!  These I know for sure:

Sept - Butternut Squash Ale, Spiced Pumpkin Ale, Pumpkin Latte Stout

Oct - Juniper Berry IPA, Phat Tyre, Peanut Butter Cookie Stout

MrWhy, dale hihn and morriganpoe like this

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

would you mind sharing your phat tyre recipe? I love that stuff and wouldn't mind trying a clone. 

MrWhy and AnthonyC like this

August 4, 2017

Just finished bottling my Hoppy CAL, falcon edition.

CAL HME, 2 pale LME, 1 gold LME, triple hopped with Falcon, 2 @ 5, one at flameout.

10 big bottles. As is standard for me, did not taste particularly great at sample. 

I am only going 3 weeks on this. I really want to get these early and taste the falcon hops.

@MRB Josh R -

Question - what would be a good, simple beer I could use to compare/contrast at a sampling to really bring out the hops in my Hoppy CALs? I am thinking a Miller Lite? 

I just want a very neutral ale I can drink and then drink my hoppy cal? 

August 5, 2017

IMG_5357.JPG.49014ef4d84b58e38cbfcd049855f740.JPG

Getting ready to bottle my Hoppy CAL, Ekuanot edition. While the bottles are all lined up and sanitizing, I am sampling my all-grain  saison. Maris Otter and cascade (well, hopped with chinook, but whatever.) Depending on my efficiency, this bad boy could be anywhere from 6 to 25% ABV.

I fermented plenty warm, so it's got a nice Saison funk going.

Will commence to bottling soon.

----

August 5 continued -

Hoppy CAL - Ekuanot Edition bottled.

We will see how this one turns out.

NOTE TO SELF - look closely at the Thunder Bay IPA hop schedule - replicate for my Hoppy CALs.....

Not exactly sure I am/was on the right track going all in on the late edition hops. Might need some in the 15/20 minute range to really maximize flavor.

Going to to brew some more Hoppy CALs, using the Thunder Bay hopping schedule. 

Creeps McLane likes this

Wed August 9 - Added anejo soaked oak chips to La Otra Noche

Friday August 11 - added fresh pack of Mr. B yeast to La Otra Noche

hotrod3539 likes this

Tasting Notes

8/12/17

Slap Hoppy Stout, bottled 3/25 - approximately 20 weeks conditioning.

In case you don't know, the Slappy Hoppy stout is an 8% stout consisting of 2 St. Pat's, 1 Robust, and dry hopped with Goldings and Northern Brewer.

I am almost positive I went with 2 or 3 robust to bring it to 9 or 10, and I know I did not dry hop, but probably went with a 5 minute hop addition. (I did not take notes on how I did this.)

First off, this is a really good stout. However, at this point, the hop flavor and aroma has faded dramatically from previous tastings. It is now much more a winter stout. I think I like the hoppier/younger version better, but that could just be that it is currently something like 185 degrees here.

If I were to do this one again.....

2 St. Pat's LMEs 

2 robust LMEs

1 cup sugar

approx 10% ABV (go big or go home)

--

Steeping grains - 2 packs 2 rows brewer, oats, carapils.....

--

2 packs goldings, 2 packs northern brewer.....2 of them at 5, 2 of them at flameout. (I don't dry hop.)

--

Plan to drink at the 8 to 12 week mark to hop flavor and aroma.

hotrod3539 likes this

On 7/29/2017 at 8:06 AM, AnthonyC said:

Peanut butter cookie stout sounds amazing. Is this a kit or recipe?

MrWhy likes this

13 hours ago, morriganpoe said:

Peanut butter cookie stout sounds amazing. Is this a kit or recipe?

It's going to be something that I put together w/the biggest addition being powdered peanut butter.  Once I get it completely sketched out I'll fwd the recipe to you...  Most likely you'll have to remind me.  👍🏽😉

MrWhy and morriganpoe like this

On 8/14/2017 at 7:52 AM, AnthonyC said:

It's going to be something that I put together w/the biggest addition being powdered peanut butter.  Once I get it completely sketched out I'll fwd the recipe to you...  Most likely you'll have to remind me.  👍🏽😉

Have you had the Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout?

On nitro it such a great beer....but only 5.3 ABV.....practically water.

When you get your recipe post it!!!!! I'd love to see it.

One of my goals....one day...is an imperial peanut butter milk stout at like.....9% ABV.

morriganpoe and AnthonyC like this

21 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Have you had the Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout?

On nitro it such a great beer....but only 5.3 ABV.....practically water.

When you get your recipe post it!!!!! I'd love to see it.

One of my goals....one day...is an imperial peanut butter milk stout at like.....9% ABV.

You got it Mr. Why! :)