MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

319 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Is it what i think it is?? If it is, i think you will like it. 

Oh it is. 10 gallons of it im gonna brew.  Theres a competition coming up, now would be a prime opportunity to brew a beer for it. I prob wouldn’t enter this one though, i wouldnt feel right. Thats the only thing weighing on my mind. 

hotrod3539 likes this

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Oh it is. 10 gallons of it im gonna brew.  Theres a competition coming up, now would be a prime opportunity to brew a beer for it. I prob wouldn’t enter this one though, i wouldnt feel right. Thats the only thing weighing on my mind. 

That is a tough call. 

Creeps McLane likes this

Ok... I'll bite.  Why so secretive and why not enter it?  I personally have never done comps (I see no personal reason to - business wise, I get it), but if that's your thang, why not?

hotrod3539 likes this

2 hours ago, kedogn said:

Ok... I'll bite.  Why so secretive and why not enter it?  I personally have never done comps (I see no personal reason to - business wise, I get it), but if that's your thang, why not?

That is a recipe from @hotrod3539 and I believe it was handed down from a real brewer if im not mistaken. I do however believe that any recipe is just a recipe and the real crafting comes on the brewing process. But i wouldnt do a two hearted clone and enter it into competition. Its not mine. You know? That recipe is the bleeding buckeye that he brewed 

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

That is a recipe from @hotrod3539 and I believe it was handed down from a real brewer if im not mistaken. I do however believe that any recipe is just a recipe and the real crafting comes on the brewing process. But i wouldnt do a two hearted clone and enter it into competition. Its not mine. You know? That recipe is the bleeding buckeye that he brewed 

Yes, the Bleeding Buckeye recipe comes from Elevator Brewing Co. Here in Columbus Ohio. And it is one they have in production and do retail it. I agree with ya Creeps on your thought process about not entering it into a competition.

Shrike and Creeps McLane like this

56 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yup, in that case, I agree with you.  This goes back to the old days here in the MRB boards, where I was the one that said basically what you just did and was called out for it.  But, I also believe that while you (a general you) brew it, it is "yours", but it is not really, unless you created that recipe.  Otherwise, you are just brewing someone else's beer (much like using someone else recipe to make pies). Same goes for a clone.  How it started back then is I brewed a friends porter recipe and I called it his porter and I got ripped for that. I stand by my comment even today as I fully believe in giving credit where credit is due.

If the recipe came from a direct friend, then yeah, I would say brew it and enter it as long as that friend is golden with you doing that.  Where that came from, I agree with you on not doing that. Very understandable.

Shrike likes this

24 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Bleeding Buckeye

Did they create this after the Sooners whooped them earlier this year? :)

#HadTo
#PLANTtheFLAG
#BOOMERSOONER 

:)

33 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Did they create this after the Sooners whooped them earlier this year? :)

#HadTo
#PLANTtheFLAG
#BOOMERSOONER 

:)

Just as I thought I liked you.... now not so much... Lol! 😅

But no, this has been around for many years now.

On a side note, his attempt failed to plant the flag, our turf withstood the attempted destruction and broke the pole of the flag.

#FAILEDtoplanttheflag

#GOBUCKS!!

Just now, hotrod3539 said:

On a side note, his attempt failed to plant the flag, our turf withstood the attempted destruction and broke the pole of the flag.

Maybe so, but it sure made for some awesome pictures... not as good as "Deez Nuts", but I digress :)

w640-9f16bf59db304cd07ed583e85af0e59b.jp

Feeling bad for "talking trash" as I usually do not do that (ask @Shrike, I believe it was, about how much trash talking I do about beers lol).  The honest truth is I expected OSU to beat us that night. I had already counted it as one of the at least 3 losses I projected for the season. I personally thought Baker was crazy to come back another season after losing Westbrook, Mixon and Perine.  Crazy, but with a Heisman I guess :)

I'm just happy to be in the Playoffs.  What will happen will happen.  :)

Alrighty, sorry for going off topic there y'all :)

hotrod3539 and Shrike like this

6 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Maybe so, but it sure made for some awesome pictures... not as good as "Deez Nuts", but I digress :)

w640-9f16bf59db304cd07ed583e85af0e59b.jp

Feeling bad for "talking trash" as I usually do not do that (ask @Shrike, I believe it was, about how much trash talking I do about beers lol).  The honest truth is I expected OSU to beat us that night. I had already counted it as one of the at least 3 losses I projected for the season. I personally thought Baker was crazy to come back another season after losing Westbrook, Mixon and Perine.  Crazy, but with a Heisman I guess :)

I'm just happy to be in the Playoffs.  What will happen will happen.  :)

Alrighty, sorry for going off topic there y'all :)

Lol! No worries from me! I enjoy some good friendly banter from time to time! 

I wasn't sure how that game was going to go... but hey... ya win some, ya lose some! 

kedogn likes this

5 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

ya win some, ya lose some!

Agreed.  You can ask people who know me and I am famous for saying "Win or lose, I still have to work tomorrow so I can pay the bills" or "The best you can hope for is to be able to smile a little bit longer."  Be it my Hawks, Packers, Mariners, Cubs, or Sooners.  Heck, only 1 team can win it all... the rest, well, they lost too ad that usually includes my teams. :)

hotrod3539 likes this

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Looks like @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim have come up with a good one!

https://www.mrbeer.com/heathers-scotch-ale

Heathers Scotch Ale

Added to Wishlist!

I've tried the "wish list" thing; you apparently have to buy the stuff you put in there. I was kinda hoping Mr. Beer would just magically send you the stuff you wish for. Maybe that function is broke on the website? 😉

I wish you all the best in the new year, my extended brewing family!

I have a clean kettle.  I have 8 lbs of crushed grain ready.  We recently went down to 9 hours days at work so I don’t have to be into work until 7 now.  I’m gonna do my first ever weekday brew tomorrow. I’ll mash while I put the kids to bed, Boil after they fall asleep. Should be in bed by 11? I was up til midnight last night, it’s 10:14 right now.  I’m ok with this plan.  

Shrike and hotrod3539 like this

I just updated my schedule with the addition of the recipes I picked up over the holidays.  Once these are done it'll be time to start making some for next fall/winter.

-  Armstrong Dortmunder Export
-  Black Moon Weizen
-  Sir Kenneth Blond Ale
-  Witch's Flight
-  CALEX#2
-  Foggy Days California Common
-  Brew de Ale ze Bub
-  Thunder Bay IPA

Creeps McLane likes this

On 10/19/2017 at 8:06 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I just bought 150+ lbs of grain, almost 2 lbs of hops, and 10 various yeasts. I'm ready for some fall / winter brewing baby! 

First brew, tomorrow will be a 10 gallon split batch. Last round of Pantry brews.

1 MRB northwest pale ale 

1 MRB Diablo IPA

1 Coopers pale ale

1 Breiss Sorghum 

4 oz rye malt

4 oz golden promise

4 oz white wheat

4 oz red wheat

3 oz mild malt

3 oz extra special malt

4 oz raw merit barley

1/2 oz warrior @ 10

1/2 oz warrior @ 5

1/2 oz warrior @ 0

1 packet of MGJ empire ale

1 mason jar of harvested lager yeast

Sorry to quote myself. I swore there had to be mosaic in this recipe. Such a thick dank hop presence. What couldve given me that? The diablo? The NW? Coopers? Man oh man. Maybe the warrior? Little bit of twang though as it warms. When i used to make lagers with MRB i always blamed the twang on the yeast flavor of the 34/70. Sometimes i even believed it