Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

45 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Re AHBS - what is best legal way to ship?

I can see drop off as the only really legal way unless you have a license to ship - but then it is not homebrew (see license requirements),  but locations are limited. If they had a dropoff office in each state that might be OK

I am reading these and I am confused.

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/203981689-Shipping-alcohol-with-USPS-UPS-and-FedEx

http://homebrewacademy.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-shipping-beer/

It seems the only was is under the radar.

We need the dumb laws changed so it is legal for home brewers to ship between any states some small qty of beer to any person of legal drinking age for completion or consumption.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenses/get-a-license/industry-licenses/shippers-license

For example this only applies as for as I can see to beer that is for sale, and you have to be a corporation too. Nothing for amateurs -with beer - but not for sale.

Carriers seem to require you have this license to ship beer.

Some states it is illegal to receive alcohol.

What a mess

They just need to remove all restrictions for small quantities not for sale.

Or simply dont tell them whats in the box. if properly packaged... no one will know except the sender and the receiver.

47 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Re AHBS - what is best legal way to ship?

I can see drop off as the only really legal way unless you have a license to ship - but then it is not homebrew (see license requirements),  but locations are limited. If they had a dropoff office in each state that might be OK

I am reading these and I am confused.

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/203981689-Shipping-alcohol-with-USPS-UPS-and-FedEx

http://homebrewacademy.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-shipping-beer/

It seems the only was is under the radar.

We need the dumb laws changed so it is legal for home brewers to ship between any states some small qty of beer to any person of legal drinking age for completion or consumption.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenses/get-a-license/industry-licenses/shippers-license

For example this only applies as for as I can see to beer that is for sale, and you have to be a corporation too. Nothing for amateurs -with beer - but not for sale.

Carriers seem to require you have this license to ship beer.

Some states it is illegal to receive alcohol.

What a mess

They just need to remove all restrictions for small quantities not for sale.

There is no legal way to ship it without a license. Ive called fed ex and asked. I used to go to a local cheese and wine shop to have things shipped but the guy made it obvious he didnt care to do it and he was only liscensed for certain states. 

the AHA says to mark the box “sample for evaluation “. Others say to mark it “yeast samples “. I never cared when i shipped beer. Its illegal using USPS and you can get in trouble. Its also illegal to use fed ex or UPS but they’re not a government agency so Im pretty sure you get a warning before any action is taken. I really dont think they care. I just tape it up and send it on its way. If I ever get caught, then ill stop. But thousands of packages are shipped every year just for this one competiton. Its like illegally pirating music, millions do it. Maybe they enforce the big time crimals of it but 99% of us will never be reprimanded. 

Please note, shipping alcohol is illegal. Like ATF illegal. I am not a lawyer, i am not an expert but it is illegal. 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Its also illegal to use fed ex or UPS but they’re not a government agency so Im pretty sure you get a warning before any action is taken.

A buddy of mine used to do beer trades all the time.  He always shipped FedEx.  Said that he was told if anything ever broke, and started to leak, the package would get tossed in the trash, so to make sure its all sealed and well padded.... but yeah, its illegal.  However, so is speeding.

Yep. Thanks. That is what I expected but I wanted to know if I was missing anything.

I think laws should either be enforced or voided. If ones that nobody cared about or enforced were removed, there would be a lot less hassle. Of course that takes lawmaker agreement, and of course they are called lawmakers not lawremovers - lol.

Enough venting.

31 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Approx 36 hours from brew day. Saturday morning ill brew and then in the late morning/afternoon ill brew again!!!

seraph serum saison

Paul’s pantry pale 

@Big Sarge this is the one!

I'm excited to hear about brew day!!

5 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

27 hours away. Not that im excited or anything!!!

I might actually get to brew on Sunday, since I've finally ordered some Mr. Beer recipes. Of course I missed the 20% off sale, but who cares? Now it's on to deciding which one it'll be: the WDA, Chromos, Yule, or the NWPA with El Dorado?

3 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I knew you'd figure it out.

I went online and found 10,000 peanut butter stout / porter recipes, 2,000 imperial stouts with peanut butter, and 5,000 barrel aged peanut butter stouts.

I did a general search in my zymurgy app, i got one recipe for dog biscuits.

the recipe above was the ONLY peanut butter recipe on my brew guru app. 

Just to let you know the troubles I go through daily to satisfy my curiosity 

Hoping i can brew this weekend. If i can I’m gonna brew an ipa full of hops I usually stay away from cuz apparently thats what i like

next i want to brew three seperate smash ales or possibly lagers. I got some new hops i want to try out. Southern cross, Macinack, amd michigan copper

I am in the middle of doing some yeast comparisons.  I started with a very basic lager recipe:

9.5lb Weyermann Pilsner Malt (1.6°L)
0.5lb Vienna Malt (3.2°L)

0.5 German Perle - 60 min - 12 AAU
0.5 German Perle - 25 min - 8 AAU
0.25 German Hallertau - 25 min - 2 AAU
0.75 German Hallertau - 10 min - 4 AAU

Mash temp 148° - 75 min

Est OG: 1.058
Est FG: 1.011
Est IBU: 26
Est SRM: 2
Est ABV: 6.3%

(6 gallon recipe)

Ferment at 56 degrees

I made six gallons, and split to two 3 gallon fermenters.  One fermenter got the Southyeast Labs HS2 New Abbey Ale yeast that I've used and reharvested several times.  This yeast was harvested from honeysuckle plants at Blackberry Farm (a luxury resort and brewery in Walland, TN).  It "really shines in Belgian and abbey ales. It produces notes of red wine and finishes with cracked peppercorn."

The other 3 gallons got the Bootleg Biology S. arlingtonesis yeast picked up when we did a tour of the Bootleg Biology yeast facility in a Nashville homebrewer meetup [with another online homebrew group].  This is Bootleg's original flagship yeast, and is a hybrid lager yeast (can be used at low ale temps as well).

I will be doing another 3-gallon batch with this recipe and the new Bootleg Biology Brulosophy Blend yeast that went on sale this week.  It is billed as "the only all-purpose, clean yeast culture meant to make almost any beer style!"  The development of this yeast blend was a fun project to follow.  You can read/listen to more about it at the Brulosophy podcast website.

The intent is to see how the exact same recipe plays with different yeasts.  By tasting the hydrometer pull, the HS2 is all in the Belgian pale range, while the Bootleg #1 is more a biscuity, clean lager taste.  WIll be curious to see how the Bootleg #2 differs.  Intending to bottle the first two this weekend (or next, if I don't get around to it).  Picking up Bootleg #2 yeast tomorrow, so might brew it next weekend.

lager-1a.jpg

lager-1.JPG

15 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Update: intolerant zombie V 2.0

74E68354-A511-465F-9B28-8E156088A5B3.jpeg

Lol, Creeps, I won't even pretend to understand the brew you are concocting, but I can tell you are excited about it so that's cool. I've  seen the photos of that complicated looking conical and hmm, mash tun that you have. You going to transport all that stuff outside or just the brewpot? Lol, probably really stupid questions from a guy that for brew day uses 1  6qt pot, an LBK,  extracts, hops, and a packet of yeast and brew day lasts about an hour!

29 minutes ago, Cato said:

Lol, Creeps, I won't even pretend to understand the brew you are concocting, but I can tell you are excited about it so that's cool. I've  seen the photos of that complicated looking conical and hmm, mash tun that you have. You going to transport all that stuff outside or just the brewpot? Lol, probably really stupid questions from a guy that for brew day uses 1  6qt pot, an LBK,  extracts, hops, and a packet of yeast and brew day lasts about an hour!

Extract brew day consists of: 13 gallon kettle (smallest i have), propane burner, spoon, and then ingredients. Simple, easy, perfect for a late night driveway brew. Should be done in about 2 hours. 

42 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Extract brew day consists of: 13 gallon kettle (smallest i have), propane burner, spoon, and then ingredients. Simple, easy, perfect for a late night driveway brew. Should be done in about 2 hours. 

Have you ever brewed with the Sorghum extract before?  I've seen it and have been curious about it.

1 hour ago, C-Note 1959 said:

Have you ever brewed with the Sorghum extract before?  I've seen it and have been curious about it.

I have, but I really didn't like the flavor of it.  But...  that's personal preference, and I wouldn't judge your experience based on my taste.  I would grab a bottle of New Grist or Redbridge before brewing with it to see if you appreciate the flavor.  For my gluten-free brewing now, I use Clarity Ferm, which will make any ole brewday gluten free (well, technically, greatly reduced to the level that certifies as gluten-free).  Just add this near the end of the brewday and away you go.  Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, C-Note 1959 said:

I didnt mind it at all but ive only used it for an ipa. Perhaps the hops covered any off flavors. Sorghum + candi sugar + maltodextrin = yummy in my tummy

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

Updated after the last sale:

-  Witch's Flight
-  CALEX#2
-  Foggy Days California Common
-  Winter Dark Ale #1
-  Brew de Ale ze Bub
-  Thunder Bay IPA
-  Shameless Stout (will go partial-mad scientist on this one)
-  Tangerously Hoppy IPA
-  Winter Dark Ale #2

I'm always impressed with your ability to stick to a brew schedule.  Sometimes I'll change my mind in the time that it takes me to go from the kitchen down the stairs where I store my grains!:D

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm always impressed with your ability to stick to a brew schedule.  Sometimes I'll change my mind in the time that it takes me to go from the kitchen down the stairs where I store my grains!:D

Truth right here......