Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

For varieties sake I try to alternate a PA/IPA in a LBK and a dark or amber in the other one. Sounds simple enough and would be but I love my dark beers and tend to stock more of those when I order.

6 hours ago, Cato said:

For varieties sake I try to alternate a PA/IPA in a LBK and a dark or amber in the other one. Sounds simple enough and would be but I love my dark beers and tend to stock more of those when I order.

My main rule of thumb when planning my brewing is to alternate between ones that need short conditioning and ones that need longer.  It keeps the pipeline running smoothly... :)  

8 hours ago, Shrike said:

My main rule of thumb when planning my brewing is to alternate between ones that need short conditioning and ones that need longer.  It keeps the pipeline running smoothly... :)  

Yes, Shrike, part of my reason for alternating the PA's as they are generally hoppier and so a bit shorter conditioning than a lot of the dark ales. Lol, though any pipeline gaps are good reason to add to the bottle supply from commercial craft brews.

It's coming up on my second time to mess around with the CAL.  This time I'm mainly clearing out some grains and hops that I've got in the fridge that I have nothing else to use in.

CALEX#2:

- One CAL HME

- Two of the "new" booster packets.

- 2oz. each Munich, flaked red wheat, and two-row

Mash grains for 30 minutes, add booster, bring to a boil.

- 1/2oz Waimea for 30 minutes

- 1/2oz Citra for 20

- 1/2oz Citra for 10

I've got excess MRB yeast on hand so I'll probably just use that.

According to QBrew it'll be about 5%-ish and nicely bitter at about 80 IBU.  It should be a nice, refreshing brew for summer.

I had planned to go up north this weekend and come back on Sunday and brew two extract  batches for kubbapalooza which is fast approaching. However, now it’s like rain/hailing out and strong winds. So.......... I have all the time in the world to brew this weekend. I’m making a gluten free lager and a bigger batch of wheat wort that will be split into a Hefeweizen batch and a Weiss that will be rack into the keg on top of some lemonade for a shandy. Super stoked

I received Dead & Berried and another order of Santa Rita (one of my top three favorite recipes) today, so revised my schedule:

-  Golden Empire IPA
-  Tangerously Hoppy IPA
-  Saison du Miel
-  Dead & Berried
-  Winter Dark Ale #2
-  Belgian Blanc
-  Hidden Lake Amber Ale

-  Santa Rita

I had that grisette the other night and it was so good that for the first time everbi emailed the brewery and askes them for some pointers. They were more than happy to steer me in the right direction and now i cant wait to brew my first kettle soured beer. Its all i can think about today

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Tomorrow were headed up north. My plan is to take two mason jars and some wort up there and collect some yeast. Ill be sure to keep yall up to date on that adventure 

Lol, my first thought was how does one head north in Wisconsin? Then I remembered that Michigan has that little finger peninsula that sticks out, or of course maybe your headed to Canada!

Regardless, looking forward to hearing about your yeast harvesting venture.

I had to revise my schedule today.  I received my latest order from MRB.  While sorting everything out I dropped a CAL on the floor...which dented the can pretty well.  So I moved that to the top of the Brew Queue.

One benefit of putting it at the top is that my first batch of WDA I brewed a couple of months ago will have reached minimum conditioning time before I brew the next WDA.  So I'll get to taste it and figure how I want to tinker with it...if at all.

-  CALEX#3
-  Tangerously Hoppy IPA
-  Winter Dark Ale
-  Redwood Ale
-  Santa Rita Pale Ale
-  Crater Stout
Then depending on the weather I'll transition to lagers for a couple of months.

Haven't really had a brew schedule recently, so with it being windy and rain bands coming in from Florence far south of me today is computer stuff and working of something of a brew schedule.

I've got a lot of HME cans, so my next up will be a Pale Ale based on MB Santa Catalina recipe, and I'll use the cans of CAL and American Ale but will ferment with US-05 or 04 and hop with HBC438. That'll be a quick and easy recipe to get into the fermenter. It turned out well with Mosaic last time, but the hops faded quickly. Hmm, maybe add an ounce dry hop of the HBC 438 as well to see if that will endure better than the Mosaic did.

For my other LBK might have to try a BIAB on a different style, maybe an Alt or a Marzen, since I've never brewed either one of those. Time to do some recipe research!

Ok, so I have three brews on my list. A blackberry lager, a lager showcasing my Prussia hops so I can see what I think of them. And finally, Big Al’s funk factory. I think my hops will be ready in the next week or two so I’ll probably brew that first but I also need to use up those blackberries so perhaps I’ll brew up 10 gallons of the Prussia lager and split 5 gallons of it with the blackberries. Ugh, the many hard decisions of a home brewer. hopefully I have enough hops...

I have two brews coming up once I bottle Little Trees Pale Ale and a Witbier clone. Little Trees will bottle end of this week and the Witbier next week.

First up will be pretty much an HME Pale ale, so I can reduce some inventory of HME cans. Will use a CAL and American Ale and hop with HBC438.

Second up will be a Belgian Dubbel, since we do have fall coming on and I'd like to have at least a few dark beers in the mix. There are a LOT of Belgian Dubbel recipes out there but I put together this one to use some of what I already have on hand and so once again have selected some common parts of several recipes and whittled down to this.

Because it will be a BIAB partial mash, I may or may not hit as high an OG, since I am still learning how to hit a better efficiency. My temporary solution is shooting a bit higher in gravity and adding a touch of LME here and there. LOL, this one has way more than a touch but I've got a full can of the Pilsen Light so, might as well make use of a good chunk of it.

Belgian Dubbel

Recipe :

Brewer Bob Batch 2.75 gal

Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity 1.073 OG Estimated FG 1.018 FG

Recipe Bitterness 19 IBU Alcohol by Volume 7.0%

Recipe Color 17° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.5%

Ingredients

Quantity Grain Type Use

0.06 lb Special "B" (Belgian) Grain Mashed

1.50 lb Pilsener (Belgian) - [Light] Base malt of European Beers and US

beers of all types

Grain Mashed

0.12 lb Extra Special Malt Grain Mashed

0.75 lb Carabrown Malt Grain Other

0.25 lb CaraPils - [Body, Head] Grain Mashed

0.25 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (Belgian) Sugar Other

2.50 lb Briess LME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract

1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (Belgian) - [Aromatic, Malty] Use 5% - 15% Grain Mashed

Quantity Hop Type Time

0.62 oz Kent Goldings (U.K.) - Aroma and dry hop intensely resiny,

candy-like, sweet, slightly floral and spicy

Pellet 60 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes

1.00 unit White Labs WLP530 - Abbey Ale Yeast™ Yeast Temperature Range: 62°-72° F (ABV 11%) Med-High Floculation

Recipe Notes

BIAB mash at 154-156 for 60 min

Sparge and add Pilsen light LME

Bring to boil and Add .625 oz of EK Goldings hops for 60 min.

Add .25 lb of Candi Sugar D-90 for last 15 min of boil

Chill to 75F and add WLP530 yeast and ferment for 18days and cold crash for 3 days and then bottle

Batch Notes

Mash

I have been getting in to partial mash lately but not long enough to have a mature product. I have Let it Bee and Grass-cutter Lager conditioning - both tasted good at bottling. Dry River Rye is brewing at the moment. Next in line is Naughty Cream Ale and Foggy Days California Common. It is going to be an interesting pipeline.

1 hour ago, Marius said:

I have been getting in to partial mash lately but not long enough to have a mature product. I have Let it Bee and Grass-cutter Lager conditioning - both tasted good at bottling. Dry River Rye is brewing at the moment. Next in line is Naughty Cream Ale and Foggy Days California Common. It is going to be an interesting pipeline.

You'll like the partial mashes and having more control over your grains and how they'll influence the final product!

Just ordered my specialty grains and yeast for my Belgian Dubbel. Had to laugh because I ordered a starter kit flask and Fast Pitch for my yeast. I had never heard of Fast Pitch until @Creeps McLane used some in a vid on wild yeast that I watched the other night.

Talk about perfect timing.

50 minutes ago, Cato said:

Just ordered my specialty grains and yeast for my Belgian Dubbel. Had to laugh because I ordered a starter kit flask and Fast Pitch for my yeast. I had never heard of Fast Pitch until @Creeps McLane used some in a vid on wild yeast that I watched the other night.

Talk about perfect timing.

OMG fast pitch is such a great product. You do make your own at home but if you dont do it right you could poison yourself... so i just but mine 

I've mostly used dry yeast but the white labs site said theirs needed a starter and i really wanted their WLP530 for this batch,  and was half thinking I should be able to make some wort in a sanitized jar, when I ran across the fast pitch starter kit with 4 cans and a flask w/stopper, and I jumped on it.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I've mostly used dry yeast but the white labs site said theirs needed a starter and i really wanted their WLP530 for this batch,  and was half thinking I should be able to make some wort in a sanitized jar, when I ran across the fast pitch starter kit with 4 cans and a flask w/stopper, and I jumped on it.

i used WLP001 california ale yeast on my last porter batch. i also picked up some more omega hothead for my next pale ale coming up. i really like the varieties of stuff you can make beer with.