Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

Hmm, since I'm bottling an Alt tomorrow and conditioning a pale ale and a dubble, I think I'd like another shot at a wheat beer. I think that would be a nice variety from the darker beers in the pipeline.

Not too heavy of a wheat but not as light as my last Witbier. Recipe time! 

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Hmm, since I'm bottling an Alt tomorrow and conditioning a pale ale and a dubble, I think I'd like another shot at a wheat beer. I think that would be a nice variety from the darker beers in the pipeline.

Are you thinking all-grain or a Bavarian Weissbier partial mash?  There's always "Lost Donkey" All-Belgian Wit if you're feeling adventurous. :)

3 hours ago, Cato said:

did you ever try a Hefe Weizen? that would be a good one to brew.

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Are you thinking all-grain or a Bavarian Weissbier partial mash?  There's always "Lost Donkey" All-Belgian Wit if you're feeling adventurous. :)

Kinda thinking an LME Partial mash with a can of Briess Bavarian Wheat LME, and grains, however I've never tried the MB wheat HME.

I'll have to flesh out a recipe.

3 hours ago, Jdub said:

did you ever try a Hefe Weizen? that would be a good one to brew.

I don't think I've had a hefe weizen. Never tried much in the way of wheat besides the Witbier.

52 minutes ago, Cato said:

I don't think I've had a hefe weizen. Never tried much in the way of wheat besides the Witbier.

Here in Oregon, Widmer Bros makes a rather popular and easily found Hefe-weisen sold in most grocery stores.  Not our favorite but a pretty good hefe and commonly on-sale, esp in the summer months

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Here in Oregon, Widmer Bros makes a rather popular and easily found Hefe-weisen sold in most grocery stores.  Not our favorite but a pretty good hefe and commonly on-sale, esp in the summer months

Can I tell you a secret?  I love Hefeweizens but i do not care for Widmers version at all... sorry 

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Kinda thinking an LME Partial mash with a can of Briess Bavarian Wheat LME, and grains, however I've never tried the MB wheat HME.

I'll have to flesh out a recipe.

You can never have too many Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbiers.  

Good luck with your recipe!🍻

8 hours ago, Cato said:

next time you're at total wine, pick up a single Paulaner Hefeweizen, or another brand. See what you think. I 1st tried one in the early 90's and was like, whoa.

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Can I tell you a secret?  I love Hefeweizens but i do not care for Widmers version at all... sorry 

Not too worry, it's not anywhere near one of our favorites - tasting (to me) too much like a 'standard domestic'.  But Widmers does have other offerings that are much better.

14 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Hey Creeps, is there any difference in the grain bill between a Hefeweizen and a Weissbier? They seem to be the same thing as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'm tinkering with a recipe but going to likely make a 2.5 gal batch with some wheat and pilsener that I have on hand.

Which yeast with wheat seems to be the biggest decision.

8 minutes ago, Cato said:

Hey Creeps, is there any difference in the grain bill between a Hefeweizen and a Weissbier? They seem to be the same thing as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'm tinkering with a recipe but going to likely make a 2.5 gal batch with some wheat and pilsener that I have on hand.

Which yeast with wheat seems to be the biggest decision.

Id say they’re the same as far as grain bill. Id say 50/50 pilsner and wheat, noble bittering hop, and a hefe yeast would yeild a wonderful hefe 

10 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Id say they’re the same as far as grain bill. Id say 50/50 pilsner and wheat, noble bittering hop, and a hefe yeast would yeild a wonderful hefe 

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks

got a few brews on deck loaded up into Beersmith and ready to rock. tomorrow, brewing up a batch of a recipe i made up with some random grains, with some special B in there, some DME, honey, brewers gold and cascade hops. making a yeast starter right now for this batch. may be terrible, but i doubt it because it will be beer.

next week or 2, doing a pilsner recipe, a dubbel (think i'll call it J-Dubbel) an Imperial IPA and another MRB Black Moon Rising batch.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:38 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

You can never have too many Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbiers.  

Good luck with your recipe!🍻

So, @Bonsai & Brew and @Creeps McLane, wife sent me to store as we were out of eggs and she needed an egg for her to die for crab cakes. Damn right I busted up there in the rain and happened to pass the craft/imported section in the store where you can make up your own six pack from any of the beers.

I got a couple Smithwicks, an Elysian Space Dust, a Hoegarten Wit, and two German Wiessbier imports, an Erdlinger, and a Weistephan. I hope those last two are good Hefe/wiess examples.

Came home and fleshed out my recipe for a max 3gal batch. 3lb. PILS, 1.5 White wheat, .75 of Red Wheat, and .75 Dark wheat. I chose those last two because I wanted a little more color and fuller taste. Yeast Mangrove Jack M20. Hops I've got Saaz, which is a noble, but kinda feeling the pull of using Mandarina Bavaria for 20-25 min for light IBU and then dry hopping the same last week.

Am I off the wall anywhere here?

12 minutes ago, Cato said:

So, @Bonsai & Brew and @Creeps McLane, wife sent me to store as we were out of eggs and she needed an egg for her to die for crab cakes. Damn right I busted up there in the rain and happened to pass the craft/imported section in the store where you can make up your own six pack from any of the beers.

I got a couple Smithwicks, an Elysian Space Dust, a Hoegarten Wit, and two German Wiessbier imports, an Erdlinger, and a Weistephan. I hope those last two are good Hefe/wiess examples.

Came home and fleshed out my recipe for a max 3gal batch. 3lb. PILS, 1.5 White wheat, .75 of Red Wheat, and .75 Dark wheat. I chose those last two because I wanted a little more color and fuller taste. Yeast Mangrove Jack M20. Hops I've got Saaz, which is a noble, but kinda feeling the pull of using Mandarina Bavaria for 20-25 min for light IBU and then dry hopping the same last week.

Cato, you've got this whole brewing thing figured out!  

As for your selection, the only other one that I've had (besides Smiddy) is Hoegarten.  I'm sure some of the more experienced Weisse guys will weigh in but I don't think you can go wrong with German imports for reference beers.

Lastly, when you feel the pull of Mandarina Bavaria, always submit!

10 minutes ago, Cato said:

I would stick with the saaz. The yeast will give you plenty if flavors. Enjoy it for what it is. A simple, easy drinking beer. 

1 hour ago, Cato said:

and two German Wiessbier imports, an Erdlinger, and a Weistephan. I hope those last two are good Hefe/wiess examples.

weihenstephaner is solid....have not had erdlinger.