Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

On 12/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, Squirley Mic said:

Zowie!

Ever figure out the $/12 oz on this baby?  Or is that a totally irrelevant factor?

I’ll say $1.15 per lb of grain= $28.75

columbus hops were home grown so I’ll say they were free even though the time and labor certainly would argue that

cascade hops were free, pays to go to events and what not

golding hops I’ll say $5

$20 for a lb of mosaic comes out to $2.25 for this batch

throw in $5 to cover water chemistry and whirlfloc 

yeast was approx $14

Grand total- $55

its a 10 gallon batch- 1280

$0.04296 per ounce, $0.52 per 12 oz pour. $3 for a sixer, $12 per case

31 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Pretty excited for Saturday’s brew day. I’m gonna try to go as simple as possible. Kettle, grain basket, hop basket, plate chiller. That’s it. No pumps, no sparge, no whirlpool. Let’s try simple for a change

I think you're really going to enjoy brew day! Certainly less clean up than 3 vessel, and I'll be interested in your thoughts on it both likes and dislikes.

Although I have been buying stuff, it's all been centered on making my brew in a bag process streamlined and simple.

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Grand total- $55

its a 10 gallon batch- 1280

$0.04296 per ounce, $0.52 per 12 oz pour. $3 for a sixer, $12 per case

Excellent!  The economy of volume.  One good 6-pak of beer half as good would easily be $8-10. 

2 hours ago, kedogn said:

I’m really tired, but has this seriously been questioned or am I just missing something more than usual? 

It was me, I asked Cato, (or someone) the other day what BIAB meant (saw it in several posts).  I got several answers.  None of which were the correct ones.  The joke was on me.  I may be late, but I finally made the party.  🤩

1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

I have a friend that does 1 bbl Biab.  Had a bag made especially for it.  Uses pullys and hoists to lift the bag.

I gotta say, that’s impressive, but what a major PITA that must be.  Some of my beers use 90+ lbs of grain (before they are wet) and I am a-ok using a scoop to get that outta the mash tun (our yard waste bin currently has about 900# of grain in it - wet - and I can’t wait to see them dump it when they pick it up today - took 2 guys to move it to the curb lol). I am also quite happy to use pumps to move the wort and sparge water.  I get the “simplicity” of the BIAB, but after 10 gals, to me, it was more of a hassle than it was worth. :) 

38 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yeah, not sure I’d know many home brewers that would be willing to pay that to brew at home. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing that link. 

Edit:  Intersting.... if this is accurate:  “The average time to brew 2 batches of beer with this system is 3.5 - 4 hours +/- meaning that you can brew up to 12BBL of beer with the 300 gallon version in a single 7-8 hour brew day.” 

Edit2:  this really has me thinking. REALLY has me thinking. The brain is churning. 

Edit3: @Creeps McLane, I just might be owing you many beers in the future!! #JustSayin 

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I'm not seeing a 2 bbl LBK setup.

54 minutes ago, kedogn said:

I have done a ton of research today on that 300 gallon set up.  I have yet to find a reason NOT to get it. Hmmm?  :) 

This could be karma, kismet, whatever. From what I briefly read it sounds like they handle pretty much the whole system, including the controllers.

If there's  serious interest on your part I'd want to go where they've got one in operation and talk to the guys running it. As a production manager I used to have to make some hefty equipment purchases, and to me it was  just as important for me to know the customer support and service capability when there was a breakdown.

12 minutes ago, Cato said:

If there's  serious interest on your part I'd want to go where they've got one in operation and talk to the guys running it.

We know a local, fairly local, brewery that has one. Not sure if it’s the same company or not though. 

What I like about it is that you can basically run 2 3bbl beers at the same time. The thought of the ease of running 12bbls in a day or even 4 3bbl batches of different beers excites me.   Would mean a need for several different fermenters/brites, but could be done and with the savings vs a standard 7bbl system, wow! 

8 hours ago, kedogn said:

Yeah, not sure I’d know many home brewers that would be willing to pay that to brew at home. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing that link. 

Edit:  Intersting.... if this is accurate:  “The average time to brew 2 batches of beer with this system is 3.5 - 4 hours +/- meaning that you can brew up to 12BBL of beer with the 300 gallon version in a single 7-8 hour brew day.” 

Edit2:  this really has me thinking. REALLY has me thinking. The brain is churning. 

Edit3: @Creeps McLane, I just might be owing you many beers in the future!! #JustSayin 

When i was dreaming of owning a brewery / bakery i really liked that you could just hoist out the basket and set it on something and wheel it over to the bakery. 

9 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

When i was dreaming of owning a brewery / bakery i really liked that you could just hoist out the basket and set it on something and wheel it over to the bakery. 

That would be a great use of it. Seems like a pretty straight forward, easy to use (once programmed) set up. I look forward (most likely) to Brewing on it.