Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

Ok, i have a confession. Last brew day I planned on adding 2 oz of Columbus hops to my mash, however, i did not because the mash was quite thick already. So now im looking for more hops to add to the dry hop. I already have 1 oz of wamiea, mosaic and cascade ready to go. However, i was looking for one more hop to use and all i really have are cluster and willamette. Thankfully the beer gods put 9 oz of citra hops in my hands earlier today. So ill at least add 1 oz of those too. Everything happens for a reason

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Thankfully the beer gods put 9 oz of citra hops in my hands earlier today. So ill at least add 1 oz of those too. Everything happens for a reason

Have you ever used Ekuanot hops in one of your beers, Creeps?

10 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

Have you ever used Ekuanot hops in one of your beers, Creeps?

I have not. Ive heard it mentioned more and more in recent podcasts ive listened to. Maybe i should buy a lb and check it out. I have a few lbs of hops in the freezer but is enough really ever enough???

11 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have not. Ive heard it mentioned more and more in recent podcasts ive listened to. Maybe i should buy a lb and check it out. I have a few lbs of hops in the freezer but is enough really ever enough???

No, enough is never enough.  Brew on!

9 hours ago, kedogn said:

I’m obviously not Creeps, but neither have I. The only reason I answer is I have 11# in my hop freezer.  Is there a specific reason you ask? 

Only this: In my 1st experiment I used 0.5 oz Ekuanot hop pellets (recommended me by my b-in-l, to create my 'Sweet 'Lil Holga' batch.  So far, this is the best (by far) batch of beer that I've made.  I don't have anywhere near enough experience to tell you what using the Ekuanot hops did differently than another type but I do know that this recipe experiment benefited greatly from them.  I  used the remainder in my 3rd experiment but haven't yet tasted it.  Compared to the ones my wife bought at the Christmas bazaar, and the ones MRB sent me for the Hop Head Red recipe (Willamette pellets) they definitely do have a different aroma.  Before I started this hobby, I thought hops were hops, essentially, and never gave them much thought.  I should know better: my ancestors were some of the first hop growers in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.  But that was several generations back -

i think i'm going to use last minute Christmas shopping as a cover to brew tomorrow. I'm out of my MRB Black Moon Rising brew and I may whip up another batch of that. Gonna steep some special b and carapils and then just follow the recipe. using nottingham yeast....will be a 1st for me.

8 hours ago, Jdub said:

i think i'm going to use last minute Christmas shopping as a cover to brew tomorrow. I'm out of my MRB Black Moon Rising brew and I may whip up another batch of that. Gonna steep some special b and carapils and then just follow the recipe. using nottingham yeast....will be a 1st for me.

For someone who doesn't know much about anything other than straight extract brewing (me) what do you actually do when you say "steep some special b and carapils"?  Does this mean you purchase some grains (?) and cook them up before adding to the wort from the extract?  I know this is very basic, but that's where I am - at the basic brewing level.  Thanks, Jdub.

5 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

For someone who doesn't know much about anything other than straight extract brewing (me) what do you actually do when you say "steep some special b and carapils"?  Does this mean you purchase some grains (?) and cook them up before adding to the wort from the extract?  I know this is very basic, but that's where I am - at the basic brewing level.  Thanks, Jdub.

Steeping and Mashing Grains 101, from MRB website.

1 hour ago, Squirley Mic said:

what @Shrike said..... i had some grains that I had purchased for other recipes. I put a couple of oz each into a hop sack and steeped it for 30 minutes like a tea bag in about 5 cups of water at ~152 deg. Then just continue the regular HME instructions. Very simple and adds flavor and body to your brew. Also threw in 1/2 cup of honey just because. Don't feel bad, I can only imagine the questions i asked on this forum last Jan/Feb once i got a kit for Christmas!

42 minutes ago, Jdub said:

what @Shrike said..... i had some grains that I had purchased for other recipes. I put a couple of oz each into a hop sack and steeped it for 30 minutes like a tea bag in about 5 cups of water at ~152 deg. Then just continue the regular HME instructions. Very simple and adds flavor and body to your brew. Also threw in 1/2 cup of honey just because. Don't feel bad, I can only imagine the questions i asked on this forum last Jan/Feb once i got a kit for Christmas!

Speaking of which, Forum Friends, they are coming.  Let's greet them warmly and help them...no matter how many times the questions have been asked and answered.  😜  We were all newbies once.  I don't know if I'd even still be brewing if it weren't for the great advice I found here.

new-brewers-are-coming.jpg

4 hours ago, Jdub said:

Sounds so much easier than I imagined.  Clearly, I need to continue adding to my beer pantry which is growing every month.  I love this hobby!  And I do very much appreciate those willing to help us beginners.  Thanks ~

15 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Sounds so much easier than I imagined.  Clearly, I need to continue adding to my beer pantry which is growing every month.  I love this hobby!  And I do very much appreciate those willing to help us beginners.  Thanks ~

Prepare for a slippery slope!

51 minutes ago, Cato said:

Just stocked up on grains that will see me through my next couple AG brews and several MB partial mash's. @RickBeer supported your LBHS, AIH since they had grains and hops on sale! They carry some grains that my normal supplier doesn't and a much larger hops selection.

The best part about them is that they have low prices and a reward system. Most of my big purchases are done through them so that I can go buy little things for free later

This is more for me than for you:  This is my to do list this weekend

Harvest London Ale III Yeast:

Clean Mason Jars

Pick up new mason jar lids

Sanitize Jars

Harvest Yeast

Dry Hop Black IPA:

Harvest Yeast

Measure Hops

Drop in Hops

Raise to 68

Rack Wild Botulism Ale into secondary:

Wait a long time

Clean 2 one gallon Carboys

Find a tube for the transfer

Find bungs for carboys

Sanitize

Rack

Brew a kettle soured beer????

On 12/21/2018 at 11:16 AM, Shrike said:

Speaking of which, Forum Friends, they are coming.  Let's greet them warmly and help them...no matter how many times the questions have been asked and answered.  😜  We were all newbies once.  I don't know if I'd even still be brewing if it weren't for the great advice I found here.

new-brewers-are-coming.jpg

Soon they will be here, maybe just as pissed off as I was when I fermented my first batch at 68F on the floor in the closet upstairs. Just in a years time I can think back to so many that came on for a batch or two and then they were gone.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, Shrike said:

I agree, but I'm thinking we could save everyone some time and trouble by convincing Mr. Beer to include Rick's phone number in every kit

Zombie Lust.

I've not had the 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust, and Total Wine doesn't have it but looking at clone grist and hops, it  fits a brew I can drink. I used a gift card to order some extra 2 row and 8 oz of Citra, everything else I have on hand.

I noticed some people either use S-04 or S-05 for their dry yeast. I'm thinking S-05 would make for a crisper finish, which might pair well with all that load of Citra.