MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

353 posts in this topic

AAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

 

MAJOR BREWING MISTAKE!!!!!

 

What the hell!!!!

 

I misread my calendar and bottled my Kenneth Blonde a week early..........HOLY HELL CRAP!

 

I am a complete loser who does not deserve to brew beer.

 

I am so stupid.....what the monkey poop am I thinking??????

 

 

IMG_2176.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay......all is not lost...right? 

 

I mean....two weeks....that is not bad. That is a long time fermenting. And I just really watch these bottles and make sure they do not explode...I condition them for a bit longer...8 weeks instead of 6....

 

All is not lost.

 

But by whiskers of a mangy cat how can I be so lame.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Okay......all is not lost...right? 

 

I mean....two weeks....that is not bad. That is a long time fermenting. And I just really watch these bottles and make sure they do not explode...I condition them for a bit longer...8 weeks instead of 6....

 

All is not lost.

 

But by whiskers of a mangy cat how can I be so lame.....

 

No, all is not lost.  It's still beer.  It'll likely come out OK with extra conditioning.  

 

I bottled my Sir Kenneth Blonde last night on day 21 and I messed up a bit, too.  I was trying to fish out the three hops sacks before I started bottling.  Two were floating and easy to get out.  The 3rd was somewhere on the bottom.  And I disturbed the trub just a little for a fraction of a second when I let my sanitized tongs touch the bottom of the LBK.  I let the trub re-settle for an hour before I started bottling, but I still figure I've got a little extra trub in the bottles.  I figure it'll settle out in the bottom of the bottles.  I could have cold crashed it for a few days, but my schedule didn't allow it.  But it'll turn out OK, I'm sure.

 

Edit:  Here's a photo.  You can see the bottles still came out OK.DSCN2847.thumb.jpeg.8d78e29dc985a31d37d8

Edited by K5WX
HoppySmile!, TonyKZ1 and MrWhy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks K5......

 

But still....you just let the tongs slip a bit.

 

I freaking misread my calendar by a week.....

 

I hang my head in pathetic shame.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Hang in there, MrWhy.  I think you're gonna be okay my friend. :)

 

Breathing. Thinking good thoughts. Everyone makes mistakes....i'm okay...it's okay....baby steps....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I misread my calendar and bottled my Kenneth Blonde a week early..........HOLY HELL CRAP!

 

I am a complete loser who does not deserve to brew beer.

 

People have been making and drinking since before calendars were invented! The process is way too chaotic to run on a strict clock, anyway. The OG is only 1.047 - it was almost certainly done fermenting at less than a week. An extra week is insurance and a third is double insurance and serves to start the aging process. If, by some small chance,  the FG was still too high, it might over-carbonate or blow bottles. Very probable it won't. If it flocked and cleared, the yeast was attenuated as far as it was going to go. Did you take an FG at bottling or at least taste a sample? Either would tell you that it's not bottled too early.

I intentionally crashed a low-OG Bitters at day 9 and bottled on day 11. It's easily one of the best beers I've done yet.

Chill out, for godssake, man! :)

AnthonyC and MrWhy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

What state are you in, Hoppy?  They look like box turtles.

A... I think, based on the amount of beer that Hoppy admits to drinking, we know what state he's in most of the time.

B... Them turtles don't look they're boxing, to me. 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the support everyone. It is good to know in times like these you have people behind you.

 

Okay - checked the bottles of Kenneth Blonde. Nothing has exploded or ran away or melted or anything else that might be bad. 

 

I am glass is half full kind of guy, so what this means is that I am going to be able to sneak in one more brew session before travel takes me out of commission for a bit!

 

Got to go through those recipes and see what I might be itching to brew up.

HoppySmile! and J A like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on track - turning lemons into lemonade. 

 

Brewed the Gigantor Quad from the archives...tweaked it from the original slightly by adding a Golden LME for head/body, and doubled the saaz since I had two packs.

 

* Cold 6 cups water, 1 cup brown sugar, Golden LME, 1 saaz hops

* Bring to boil

* Add second bag saaz hops, turn off heat

* Stir in 2 cans Oktoberfest

* Filled LBK with 1 gallon refrigerator cold water, pour in wort, top to 2 gallon with more refrigerator cold water

* Whisk like a madmen

* Sprinkle in T-58

--

Right now the LBK is sitting at 70....going to let it stay there until I leave for the evening and will add a cold pack. Goal for this Belgian is to leave it around 70 for the next few days to maximize Belgian flavors.

 

Will bottle in 3 weeks...and let condition for a LONG time!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had a busy day. bottled my St. Patricks stout and canadian blonde.  Also got a batch of roses rambling red and a batch of powerful patriot in the lbk's. first attempt steeping hops. should be interesting. Also enjoyed a few of my aztec mexican cervezas last night. 5 weeks conditioned. very good exept one bottle was cidery. i wonder if it was the last bottle and got a little too much trub in it. i noticed the trub in the lbk was cidery smelling. i suppose thats normal.  the rest of the batch has been very good. my next effort will be a higher abv ipa. 

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, J A said:

 

People have been making and drinking since before calendars were invented! The process is way too chaotic to run on a strict clock, anyway. The OG is only 1.047 - it was almost certainly done fermenting at less than a week. An extra week is insurance and a third is double insurance and serves to start the aging process. If, by some small chance,  the FG was still too high, it might over-carbonate or blow bottles. Very probable it won't. If it flocked and cleared, the yeast was attenuated as far as it was going to go. Did you take an FG at bottling or at least taste a sample? Either would tell you that it's not bottled too early.

I intentionally crashed a low-OG Bitters at day 9 and bottled on day 11. It's easily one of the best beers I've done yet.

Chill out, for godssake, man! :)

 

Yah - but still.....misreading the calendar by a week is lame.

 

I do not do any hydrometer readings so I am not sure. The sample did not taste great.....it did not taste bad.

 

But the bottles have not exploded which is good. I am hoping that a full two weeks is more than enough for primary fermentation to be done....and while it did not have enough time to start cleaning up, I will keep it conditioning for longer. Going to go 8 weeks with this one.

 

All we can do is move on and brew more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

Yah - but still.....misreading the calendar by a week is lame.

 

I do not do any hydrometer readings so I am not sure. The sample did not taste great.....it did not taste bad.

 

But the bottles have not exploded which is good. I am hoping that a full two weeks is more than enough for primary fermentation to be done....and while it did not have enough time to start cleaning up, I will keep it conditioning for longer. Going to go 8 weeks with this one.

 

All we can do is move on and brew more!

Lots of people bottle at two weeks.  I used to listen to a podcast everyday about beer and I learned that people do things differently than people do on this forum.  Neither one is right or wrong, just a different way to go about things.  But back to the topic, I think bottling at 2 is ok, but ales should never go past 3 weeks.  A hydro reading really couldve helped you here.  I dont take readings anymore though so maybe I should follow my own advice eh? Im just confident now, knock on wood

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

What state are you in, Hoppy?  They look like box turtles.

you really don't want to know that state i'm in right now....However, the state I live in is Oklahoma. these turtles appear early summer every year since there's a ton of foliage in my backyard, it's a safe haven for them I guess, this was the first time I've seen turtles mating, or I guess that's what they were doin when I found them, It was a Kodak moment for me...hehehe...

AnthonyC and TonyKZ1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

you really don't want to know that state i'm in right now....However, the state I live in is Oklahoma. these turtles appear early summer every year since there's a ton of foliage in my backyard, it's a safe haven for them I guess, this was the first time I've seen turtles mating, or I guess that's what they were doin when I found them, It was a Kodak moment for me...hehehe...

Should've offered them a beer and a smoke when they finished!

HoppySmile! likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and since my cell phone can't send pics to my email address, the stash has grown, including three all grain recipes. why are these photos so darn big??? is this for mobile viewing as well?

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoppy, have you ever come across bacon extract?  I'm looking for some b/c I wanna make a bacon smoked porter.  Also, I noticed that you have a lot from Midwest.  Do you like them better than Northern?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to me, for the price, I think AIH is the best way to go, their packaging is cheaper , the extract are in generic plastic containers no labeling, the grains are sealed in regular plastic bag, but they include a the large grain bag with grains already in it. northern brewer is a bit pricey, however, they're pretty much first class on packaging, and always good with shipping. Midwest is pretty good, they don't offer super deals as much as northerner, and AIH

AnthonyC and TonyKZ1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'll look for some bacon extract, u know i'm wondering if u can experiment with dried bacon bits, the kind u put on a salad? maybe add sum to a hop sack or even make a one gallon batch and add the hop sack?? just a thought

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now