Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

tomorrow brewing up an AG super hopped Pliny the Elder clone. never had the real deal, but obsessed with things that i can't get. will see how the clone tastes. brewing with my son who goes back to college this weekend. will share finished product during spring break.

Ah, 8 oz Citra and 10 lb of 2-row hit the front porch this morning, which is perfect, because it'll be nasty stormy nor'Easter starting Sat night and all day Sunday will be windy and rainy. Brew day! Try my hand at a Zombie Dust Clone.

I'll do a full volume boil and plan on netting about 4.5gal 

Be my first Beersmith brew and water adjustments, plus using ph meter to chart how I did. I'm excited!

Running short on time to get a nice batch bottled before knee surgery mid February. Hate the thought of downtime and ewww surgery, but limping around like I've been on an unstable knee isn't getting it.

14 hours ago, Jdub said:

tomorrow brewing up an AG super hopped Pliny the Elder clone. never had the real deal, but obsessed with things that i can't get. will see how the clone tastes. brewing with my son who goes back to college this weekend. will share finished product during spring break.

You mash in yet???

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

You mash in yet???

yes, i mashed about 10am this morning. went well. didn't hit my OG #'s. came in a bit lower than i wanted. this recipe called for hop stand at flame out. cooled to 180 deg and whirlpooled for 20 minutes. i think i messed up in beersmith with boil time. changed it at last minute from 60 to 90 min boil. realized i had overlooked that. don't think BS adjusted. not sure. oh well. i made beer! smelled great.

also bottled up my 2nd round of Black Moon Rising. recipe using MRB Winter Dark Ale. put it in 740ml PET bottles. put it away and will crack one in about 3 or 4 months.

Here is my upcoming schedule.  I had some ingredients collecting dust, took a few years off from brewing (I was busy and stuff ok!).

2019 Back to Beer Schedule

• 12/26/18

• Autumn ESB 1 - Brew

• 01/12/19

• All American Gold - Brew

• 01/20/19

• Autumn ESB - Cold Crash

• 01/26/19

• Autumn ESB 1 - Bottle

• Santa Catalina - Brew

• 02/06/19

• All American Gold - Cold Crash

• 02/09/19

• All American Gold - Bottle

• Party time Pilsner - Brew

• 02/20/19

• Santa Catalina - Cold Crash

• 02/23/19

• Autumn ESB 1 - Taste

• Santa Catalina - Bottle

• Autumn ESB 2 - Brew

• 03/06/19

• Party Time Pilz - Cold Crash

• 03/09/19

• All American Gold - Taste

• Party time Pilsner - Bottle

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Brew

• 03/20/19

• Autumn ESB 2 - Cold Crash

• 03/23/19

• Santa Catalina - Taste

• Autumn ESB 2 - Bottle

• Horses Ass Ale - Brew

• 04/03/19

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Cold Crash

• 04/06/19

• Party time Pilsner - Taste

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Bottle

• 04/17/19

• Horses Ass Ale - Cold Crash

• 04/20/19

• Autumn ESB 2 - Taste

• Horses Ass Ale - Bottle

• 05/04/19

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Taste

• 05/18/19

• Horses Ass Ale - Taste

1 hour ago, Clonedogg said:

Here is my upcoming schedule.  I had some ingredients collecting dust, took a few years off from brewing (I was busy and stuff ok!).

2019 Back to Beer Schedule

Very ambitious.  Very commendable.  Very delicious variety.  You're back.

On 3/12/2016 at 12:01 AM, MrWhy said:

Breathing. Thinking good thoughts. Everyone makes mistakes....i'm okay...it's okay....baby steps....

If this is the worst thing you do, you're going to be OK. Hang in there.

16 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

In 10 hours ill be holding my corny keg under some kind of tubing to get 5 gallons of wort from a local brewery! Brewing a saison... are you surprised?

Which local brewery?

I will go as far as a week or 5 out only.

I have 2 HMS from 2018 date still.

Porter maybe  with anise (Maybe with Blackbeerd grains too)

American Ale - fruity  with booster I have to use up (I get 2 per HME) and misc left over hops. Last one was good.

then

Irish Red Ale  (based on CAL, as I find Oktoberfest is too heavy maybe Oktoberfest needs more hop to balance?)

So Rob texted me this morning and said there was a big accident at work and he wasn’t able to pick up his wort this morning with me. So naturally I called my dad and he helped me out. So dad was Rob earlier today. Got both our wort picked up and I threw mine in the snow bank (kegged) and went and took a 4 hour nap.  Woke up feeling like a brand new man but still obviously not 100%. So tomorrow brew day starts. BeerSmith recipe is completely done, I was told the mash temp, the post mash gravity and a bunch of water stuff that I’m not going to worry about cuz I don’t know what size their system is.

Kinda weird thing is I’m gonna water down my 5 gallons 1.046 wort, boil for an hour and add some candi syrup just to end up with 5 gallons of 1.056 wort. Kinda messes with my head

2802D262-756E-416C-B3CB-9A3A76281718.jpeg

thinking about what MRB recipe to brew next. i have an american porter hme, so i was thinking about another round of black beer'd porter. i have a bunch of LME's, grains and some s-05. but on the other hand @Shrike i have a el gordito kit in hand that i need to brew. on the other hand, i have a can of bewitched that i could brew too? #homebrewproblems

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

so what was the deal? was this brewery giving away wort today? what's the occassion?

This is the first time I’ve heard of any brewery giving away wort. I’ve heard of places just doing a wort giveaway but this place is letting 20 of us bring the wort home, boil it and ferment it and the best beer gets put on tap in the brewery. In exactly 4 weeks we meet back up and have a social drinking event and judges will be walking around sampling beers. Kinda cool eh?

what do y'all think about a variation of the Sunday Morning Coming Down recipe. 1 porter hme, pale LME (i only have that and robust), a booster, some grains....chocolate and carapils. us-05 and at bottling use a shot of espresso. anyone done a coffee beer before?

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

This is the first time I’ve heard of any brewery giving away wort. I’ve heard of places just doing a wort giveaway but this place is letting 20 of us bring the wort home, boil it and ferment it and the best beer gets put on tap in the brewery. In exactly 4 weeks we meet back up and have a social drinking event and judges will be walking around sampling beers. Kinda cool eh?

that is greatness. so i guess it's just a general base malt type of post mash wort, and then you're going to do your own boil? that is a cool concept. how did you hear about it? did they advertise it? i'll have to look around at some of our local breweries to see if they do something similar.

8 minutes ago, Jdub said:

that is greatness. so i guess it's just a general base malt type of post mash wort, and then you're going to do your own boil? that is a cool concept. how did you hear about it? did they advertise it? i'll have to look around at some of our local breweries to see if they do something similar.

88% 2 row, 12% crystal 15. 

Actually a friend told me about it from Facebook. I then started following any and all breweries in the area to make sure I didn’t miss opportunities like this in the future. I’ve heard of lots of breweries doing this before but never in my area. 

18 minutes ago, Jdub said:

what do y'all think about a variation of the Sunday Morning Coming Down recipe. 1 porter hme, pale LME (i only have that and robust), a booster, some grains....chocolate and carapils. us-05 and at bottling use a shot of espresso. anyone done a coffee beer before?

I made a coffee stout once. Brewed a stout, and added a large glass of cold brewed coffee from the gas station. I think I brought that cold brew home and ran it through some more coffee. Dumped it in the keg, then racked the stout on top. Delicious 

7 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

88% 2 row, 12% crystal 15. 

Actually a friend told me about it from Facebook. I then started following any and all breweries in the area to make sure I didn’t miss opportunities like this in the future. I’ve heard of lots of breweries doing this before but never in my area. 

thanks for the tip. i just visited my local brewery's facebook page (Shannon Brewing) and found out they're running a special. filling growlers for $10 of blackberry crystal wheat! will stop by tomorrow to get some.

8 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

That's way cool! 

On 2/23/2019 at 10:32 PM, Jdub said:

That sounds like a winner to me.  I've done three coffee brews and have enjoyed them all.  I recommend using cold-steeped espresso as hot-brewed can give off flavors.