Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

Tomorrow it will be 14 days without power - most of the snow is gone, but not all.  I'm supposed to crash my next batch tomorrow - thankfully it's still in the mid to low 30's outside so I'll just set the lbk in the snow patch, cover it with a towel and let it crash.  Bottling is easily done with melted snow water and takes no power so  I don't even need to run the generator.  On Wednesday it's back to the camp stove as I attempt my clone of Santiam Brewing's Pirate Stout.  I have all the necessary ingredients save the English Admiral hops and those I may need to substitute with the 'mystery' hops already on hand.  The brewing goes on (as does the delightful consumption of some of the earlier efforts!).  😋

1 hour ago, McSquirrely said:

Tomorrow it will be 14 days without power - most of the snow is gone, but not all.  I'm supposed to crash my next batch tomorrow - thankfully it's still in the mid to low 30's outside so I'll just set the lbk in the snow patch, cover it with a towel and let it crash.  Bottling is easily done with melted snow water and takes no power so  I don't even need to run the generator.  On Wednesday it's back to the camp stove as I attempt my clone of Santiam Brewing's Pirate Stout.  I have all the necessary ingredients save the English Admiral hops and those I may need to substitute with the 'mystery' hops already on hand.  The brewing goes on (as does the delightful consumption of some of the earlier efforts!).  😋

you-improvise-adapt-overcome.jpg&f=1

1 hour ago, McSquirrely said:

Where are you? At the Amundsen-Scott Research facility in Antartica? 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Where are you? At the Amundsen-Scott Research facility in Antartica? 

Coastal Mts of Western Oregon.  Our snow, when we get it, is full of water - blue snow they call it.  Very, very heavy.  It took down power lines in three surrounding counties and where we live is just about at the very tip end of the power grid.  Only two houses past ours for the next 40+ miles with power.  This beats a record long standing.  Day 16 and counting....

Lol, ferried up and down the stairs quite a bit today, but good exercise for my knee. Weighed grains for my Mystic Red Irish ale and should get supplies in for an Altbier recipe tomorrow. Rigged up a long extension for my IC, so I won't have to move the kettle off the workbench while chilling the wort.

My Red ale will be my first without roasted barley. Using Cara Aroma for most of the color, plus some melanoiden. Going to be an interesting red, and malty. Golden Promise, CaraAroma, Carafoam, and Melanoiden. Hops, Saaz for light bittering and some Cascade for aroma/flavor. Yeast- Nottingham. 3 gal.

My Altbier, I'll just do an LBK batch size as this one will be a bit different from my last Altbier, but will be fun to compare to see which I like better. I hit a homerun last time, I thought, but this variation has some interesting different grist players, so........

Im gonna brew a saison, shocking I know.  but Im gonna ferment in primary with saison yeast and lacto and then secondary with some brett.  Its gonna be a long process but itll be worth it.  Challenge is to get plenty of dextrins in there for the brett to chew on.  No matter what, @Big Sarge is sure to receive a bottle or 6. 

Also I gotta get some amber lager figured out for September when I go visit the badlands and @Bonsai & Brew

Might sound crazy, but Im gonna also possibly pick up some oak spirals from Austin Homebrew Supply for the sasion / lacto / breet beer. Id like to get some oak tannins in there as well for added body. Might ship those to my inlaws in TX while im down there visiting them and @Jdub.  Maybe bring back some Jester King beer and propagate some yeast for that beer. who knows. anythings possible.