Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

and since my cell phone can't send pics to my email address, the stash has grown, including three all grain recipes. why are these photos so darn big??? is this for mobile viewing as well?

Need big photos to convey the size of the stash!

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Lots of people bottle at two weeks.  I used to listen to a podcast everyday about beer and I learned that people do things differently than people do on this forum.  Neither one is right or wrong, just a different way to go about things.  But back to the topic, I think bottling at 2 is ok, but ales should never go past 3 weeks.  A hydro reading really couldve helped you here.  I dont take readings anymore though so maybe I should follow my own advice eh? Im just confident now, knock on wood

I think it is less that I bottled at 2 weeks and more the shock of completely not realizing what day/date I was at. It was almost like all sense of calendar time completely melted.....so after I bottled, happy with myself, and started going through my schedule...the realization that I was a week off hit me like slap with a cold fish.

But I am back on track. Longer conditioning time for this one....I've got the Belgian Quad in the LBK......because of this "push" in the schedule I am throwing in a bonus brew....going to do a very simple super hopped CAL, which should be nice.

And I started putting a little sheet of paper in the cooler to remind me what is fermenting, the date I brewed it, and my target bottling day!

I just brewed up a Dortmunder yesterday, think i'll order a few more of those this weekend  since they're about gone, and I want to do a 5 gallon batch, next will be a kolsch I've been wanting to do. in a way, at least i'm trying to stay somewhat with the seasons

39 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

I think it is less that I bottled at 2 weeks and more the shock of completely not realizing what day/date I was at. It was almost like all sense of calendar time completely melted.....so after I bottled, happy with myself, and started going through my schedule...the realization that I was a week off hit me like slap with a cold fish.

But I am back on track. Longer conditioning time for this one....I've got the Belgian Quad in the LBK......because of this "push" in the schedule I am throwing in a bonus brew....going to do a very simple super hopped CAL, which should be nice.

And I started putting a little sheet of paper in the cooler to remind me what is fermenting, the date I brewed it, and my target bottling day!

I messed up one time and added the vanilla to my Witches Pumpkin recipe, and the Pumpkin to the Nilla Porter recipe.  Best mistake ever, so ya never know MrWhy. :)

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

A hydro reading really couldve helped you here. 

I take reading at bottling so I can confirm projected numbers from the calculator I'm using. The Mr. Beer recipes are going to be pretty consistent since they're tried and true, but since I'm using other ingredients and trying out different yeasts, it's important to see where the baselines are.

8 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Lots of people bottle at two weeks.

For low OG beers, I think it's probably more common to do 2 weeks, but for inexperienced brewers, the extra week is a good routine. I've definitely been better off scheduling that way because it takes the guess work out of it - though I have intentionally pushed some ahead of that. For a Kolsch (cold-fermented ale yeast) the 3 weeks was totally necessary because the Krausen was still active after over a week in the fridge at 55-60 degrees. It finally cleared at 2 weeks plus and I let it sit at room temp for 5 days before cold-crashing. 

Alright. The Winter/Spring 2015 Brew Season Continues.

The big news is that through spacial configuration I'm now able to run 3 LBKs at a time, which changes it all.

So tonight I brewed #MyFestivus. I am calling it my Festivus, because not trying to go all #madscientist, I did make a few changes. 

I did not realize the recipe called for Smooth DME....and instead it appears I ordered Smooth LME. Not sure if the difference between LME and DME is subtle or catastrophic....but it is what I had so it is what I used.

The other major change is that at the very end, flameout I believe it is called, I threw in a pack of Saaz, commando style. I had them. I figure why not? 

The other big thing is that with the addition of a third LBK I was able to squeeze in ONE more brew before I shut down for a few weeks. ANGRY BOVINE!

Edited the calendar at the beginning of this thread to reflect all changes to the schedule.

Here is where this season all ends up when done (April 23)

Hopped ESB

Kenneth Blonde

Enhanced Dortmunder (brewed Ale Style)

Gigantor Quad

My Festivus

Hopped Cal+

Angry Bovine (with Steeping Grains)

In addition I have a several bottles of my first ESB, as well as all of my Mad American Ale still conditioning.

#Pipeline! #DoingThis!

Bottled my Remixed Dortmunder. Dortmunder brewed with US-05, a pale LME, and warrior, saaz, and williamette hops.

The sample was a bit harsh, but tasty!

This one is going to condition for at least six weeks, ideally eight.

Cheers!

FullSizeRender.jpg

5 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Bottled my Remixed Dortmunder. Dortmunder brewed with US-05, a pale LME, and warrior, saaz, and williamette hops.

The sample was a bit harsh, but tasty!

This one is going to condition for at least six weeks, ideally eight.

Cheers!

Harsh as in strong (ABV), or is it the hop bite?

9 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

Harsh as in strong (ABV), or is it the hop bite?

A few factors. The ABV was there, but it was more harsh from the hop bite. I'm hoping this mellows over the weeks.

Plus, as is par for the course with my brewing, the fermenting temps were a chaotic roller coaster of madness. I'm sure there are some off flavors in there.

All that being said, this was not a bad sample and there is potential there. 

11 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

A few factors. The ABV was there, but it was more harsh from the hop bite. I'm hoping this mellows over the weeks.

Plus, as is par for the course with my brewing, the fermenting temps were a chaotic roller coaster of madness. I'm sure there are some off flavors in there.

All that being said, this was not a bad sample and there is potential there. 

You shouldn't have any trouble with the hops mellowing out in time. I do recommend (if possible) that you limit yourself to one bottle during week 6 and one during week 7, supplemented by other ready home brews or some nice store-bought craft brew. 

As far as temperature control, I keep my keg in a cooler in the front room. It is an eyesore to the wife, but it maintains a nice, steady temperature (more important than feng shui and aesthetics). I'll usually have to rotate out frozen water bottles in the summer, but the winter and spring have been consistent without. 

I'm sure it'll turn out awesome!

9 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

got a dortmunder in week 3 in primary, yea I added a 1/8 oz. of moteaka hop for the heck of it, it had a funky smell, but that was due to the 34/70 yeast

Did you dry hop? Or put in the hops pre-boil? Or just after?

I MADE A GOOD BEER!!!!

WOW. I made a good beer!!!!!

This is my mad scientist Mad American Ale. I used the T-58 Belgium yeast, the American Ale HME, Saaz hops, and other stuff I do not remember. This was in my early days when I was chasing ABV and just throwing caution to the wind.

AND IT IS A GOOD BEER!!!

It is like an amber tripel...there is still some alcohol harshness...it could use a few more weeks to condition and mellow....but as it stands...IT IS GOOD!!!! I've had 8 dollar belgiums in a tulip that...okay...they were a bit more tasty...but they were 8 dollars........and in a couple more weeks this might go from good to really good!!!!

GO ME!!!

ADDED EDIT INFO - Okay - confession time. Saturday was 6 weeks, put in fridge for a few days, then try a bottle. But I was arranging bottles, clearing spaces, etc. and I ended up with this floating bottle. I did not feel like going back to the garage, it would not fit in my cupboard, so I said to myself...."self....just put it in the fridge and have it Sunday." That was yesterday. Today I was supposed to go have a couple of beers with my buddy but that did not happen so I got home and said to myself "self...just try the beer." And I tried it and...I MADE GOOD BEER!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

15 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

pre boil, but only 1/8 bcuz the moetaka has a lime like aroma to it, so I didn't want to screw it up too much, probably already did lol! doesn't matter i'll drink it

When you do a pre-boil hops is it just water or do you put an LME in it?

well I do all partial mashes, so I start off with steeping the grain bag , then after the steeping remove from burner, I add the LME and/or HME extract stir til fully dissolve then return to burner bring to boil then add hops and boil a minimum an hr. Now on the dortmunder I just brought the water to a boil added hops and let boil for 30 minutes then added dortmunder, cut sum corners and made it more simpler because didn't think it was worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, MrWhy said:

When you do a pre-boil hops is it just water or do you put an LME in it?

Whats a pre boil hops????  I cant find it onlibe but I was sure hops need the sugars in malt to do their thing.  So put LME in, but not HME.  That and maybe it'll darken it a bit so others stay away from our beer.  "I dont drink dark beer"  Really? cuz theres some black lagers that are the most amazingly smooth beers Ive ever tasted

@MRB Josh R maybe you can elaborate on this.  I was doing some reading on how extract is made.  One website made it sound like you boil hops in water.  Is that true.  Cuz I also heard you get bittering hops in giant cans.  I dont know what to believe.  Can we see pics of the factory???  Can you take 10 of us on a tour?  Ill take my FMLA leave to do that instaed of stay home with my newborn in 5 weeks.  IS that enough time to make this happen?  I pick those invited... please

8 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Whats a pre boil hops????  I cant find it onlibe but I was sure hops need the sugars in malt to do their thing.  So put LME in, but not HME.  That and maybe it'll darken it a bit so others stay away from our beer.  "I dont drink dark beer"  Really? cuz theres some black lagers that are the most amazingly smooth beers Ive ever tasted

@MRB Josh R maybe you can elaborate on this.  I was doing some reading on how extract is made.  One website made it sound like you boil hops in water.  Is that true.  Cuz I also heard you get bittering hops in giant cans.  I dont know what to believe.  Can we see pics of the factory???  Can you take 10 of us on a tour?  Ill take my FMLA leave to do that instaed of stay home with my newborn in 5 weeks.  IS that enough time to make this happen?  I pick those invited... please

I was being unclear. I meant did you put the hops in the boiling water, before you turn off heat and stir in HME.

I guess a better way to say it would be "did you put the hops in the boiling water."

It is something I was not sure about either. I don't know if I can boil the hops in the water and it does anything, or if it is better practice to have an LME and then boil the hops for like 10 minutes if I want some flavor...five minutes if I want aroma (I don't have that nice little curvy chart with the times handy.)

My understanding is the the Mr. Beer HMEs are already bittered and any added hops can be used for flavor and aroma, but bittering is not necessary.

Brewed a Hopped CAL.

CAL HME, Booster, PALE DME, Golden LME, Cascade and Centennial Hops, Mr. B yeast.

Added Booster, Pale DME, Golden LME to 8 cups water. Brought to boil.

20 minute boil

At boil added 1 oz Centennial and .5 oz Cascade (20 minutes total boil)

At 10 minutes added .5 oz Cascade (10 minutes boil)

Turned off heat, removed "big" hop bag (the first one with the 1 oz Centennial and .5 oz Cascade)

Stirred in CAL HME

Ice bath to bring wort temp down below 120 (started at 140/150)

Added 1 gallon refrigerator cold to LBK, poured in wort, topped off with more refrigerator cold water.

Stirred and pitched yeast. (wort temp looked to 68/70).

--

This is the start of what I am considering my "base" beer. CAL + Booster. I want to start regularly brewing a CAL + Booster and then adding/changing things to see what comes up. The goal with this one was to use more/different hops and get a stronger hop profile than what I've been brewing. 

The Golden LME was sort of a mad scientist throw in. I did not know I had it, I do not need it for the Angry Bovine and I've got no more brews for a bit after that. So I threw it in.

Reason for the ice bath - I think I've been pitching too hot. This time I wanted to make sure that I pitched at a lower temp, so I brought the wort down to sub 120. There was no reason for that number. I just figured 20 degrees seemed good.

I am going to let it sit at 68/70 and get fermentation going. 

Ferment for 3 weeks and see what happens. 

On 3/26/2016 at 10:51 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I'm not sure what "pre-boil" hops are either.

Our extract is hopped with distilled hop oils.