MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

333 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

I'm not sure what "pre-boil" hops are either.

 

Our extract is hopped with distilled hop oils.

 

I mispoke! Not pre-boil......

What I was trying to say was adding hops to the boiling water - before you turn off the heat and then add in the HME. 

"Boiling-Water hops" I guess.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If adding hops when turning of the heat, this is known as adding at "flame-out". If adding at 5 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "5 minute hop addition". If adding at 10 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "10 minutes hop addition", and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MRB Josh R said:

If adding hops when turning of the heat, this is known as adding at "flame-out". If adding at 5 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "5 minute hop addition". If adding at 10 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "10 minutes hop addition", and so on.

 

Which is different than a Flame On!

 

display?key=fc778e44915911e088ae4040f9f8

 

 

MRB Josh R likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

If adding hops when turning of the heat, this is known as adding at "flame-out". If adding at 5 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "5 minute hop addition". If adding at 10 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "10 minutes hop addition", and so on.

 

Can you do hop additions to the 4 cups of water that gets boiled before adding the HME?

Or do hop additions need a DME/LME to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrWhy said:

 

Can you do hop additions to the 4 cups of water that gets boiled before adding the HME?

Or do hop additions need a DME/LME to work?

 

You would need to add some LME/DME for proper utilization. 1 LME per 4 cups works fine. But if you're doing a grain steep/mash, that should also be sufficient for hop utilization. Too much malt will lower utilization, though, so don't add a lot of malt to the 4 cups. Also, if doing a grain steep, you may need to use up to 8 cups of water depending on how much grain is being steeped/mashed.

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

You would need to add some LME/DME for proper utilization. 1 LME per 4 cups works fine. But if you're doing a grain steep/mash, that should also be sufficient for hop utilization. Too much malt will lower utilization, though, so don't add a lot of malt to the 4 cups. Also, if doing a grain steep, you may need to use up to 8 cups of water depending on how much grain is being steeped/mashed.

 

Thank you for the info.

MRB Josh R likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say this and I plan for that, and it's always the same I don't go through what I want to do....i'm a probeerstinator, still staring at the future on a shelf in my living room; double powerful patriot lager( have too older patriot lagers to use instead of one ), honey wild wheat, and a Czech pilsner with bohemian pilsner malt and Czech saaz hop, which I really looking forward trying that one!

MrWhy and Stroomer420 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busy weekend coming up, so I bottled my Gigantor Quad. Two days early, but whatever.

 

This was a recipe from the archives. Two cans Oktoberfest, 1 cup brown sugar, T-58. I added a pack of Golden LME for some more body and better head.

 

Bottling went well. Keep trying to get better at process.

 

The sample was mleh. This is one that will need to age out. I can see why the site recommends six months. Hard hit of alcohol, a few other things going on as well. But the Belgium flavors are in there. Just buried. There was some definite dark fruit notes going on.

 

I was also surprised at the color. I thought it would be darker but it was a golden brown.

 

Next time I brew this I am going to change up a few things.

 

Well, that one is done. The bottles are sealed. I will be revisiting this one in October.

Stroomer420 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

brewed up the Czech pilsner using the s-33 yeast, with "bohemian wrapsodasi malt" a hard to find grain only found in the Queensland Court, Northern Bavaria, Instanbul, Australia.

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the 2016 Winter/Spring brewing season is coming to an end. Brewed up my last one for the time being. The Angry Bovine with steeping grains.

 

I steeped Chocolate malt and Caramel whatever number it was. I don't remember. It was whatever Josh recommended on the Angry Bovine announcement.

 

I did not like that Chocolate malt. I am glad I went with a bit less than two ounce. It has a real strong flavor and smell. I am sure fermenting and conditioning will mellow it out, along with the sweetness from the lactose, but man. That is one to use sparingly.

 

Other than that, all went according to plan. I continued my new thing of cooling the wort before adding to the LBK. This time I cooled it down to 100, which I am glad I did because I did not put the water in the refrigerator last night like I normally would have and put it in the freezer late in the morning. It was not as cold as I would have liked, but it looks like I pitched the yeast at 68.  

 

This one will ferment for three weeks.


What is left?

 

Bottling my Hopped CAL. Bottling my #Myfestivus. Bottling this one.

 

And then continuing to wait for these beers to be ready!

Stroomer420 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Well, the 2016 Winter/Spring brewing season is coming to an end. Brewed up my last one for the time being. The Angry Bovine with steeping grains.

 

I steeped Chocolate malt and Caramel whatever number it was. I don't remember. It was whatever Josh recommended on the Angry Bovine announcement.

 

I did not like that Chocolate malt. I am glad I went with a bit less than two ounce. It has a real strong flavor and smell. I am sure fermenting and conditioning will mellow it out, along with the sweetness from the lactose, but man. That is one to use sparingly.

 

Other than that, all went according to plan. I continued my new thing of cooling the wort before adding to the LBK. This time I cooled it down to 100, which I am glad I did because I did not put the water in the refrigerator last night like I normally would have and put it in the freezer late in the morning. It was not as cold as I would have liked, but it looks like I pitched the yeast at 68.  

 

This one will ferment for three weeks.


What is left?

 

Bottling my Hopped CAL. Bottling my #Myfestivus. Bottling this one.

 

And then continuing to wait for these beers to be ready!

Oh you're not done, sir.  Not by a long shot!  Start brewing your fall/winter beers NOW!  Unless they're IPA's.  Think ant & the grasshopper...  think... Beer Squirrel.

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Oh you're not done, sir.  Not by a long shot!  Start brewing your fall/winter beers NOW!  Unless they're IPA's.  Think ant & the grasshopper...  think... Beer Squirrel.

 

Yeah. I've been looking at the calendar trying to figure out what the Summer 2016 Season/Schedule is going to look like.

 

Thinking I need to invest in a fridge and controller though. The ice thing is getting a little old.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

Yeah. I've been looking at the calendar trying to figure out what the Summer 2016 Season/Schedule is going to look like.

 

Thinking I need to invest in a fridge and controller though. The ice thing is getting a little old.....

I agree.  It can be a royal pain in the ass.  Since I don't have the space for anything temperature controlled I decided to brew seasonally.  I've pretty much figured out which brews I want to make now for the late fall/early winter.  

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 2, 2016 at 4:13 PM, MrWhy said:

Well, the 2016 Winter/Spring brewing season is coming to an end. Brewed up my last one for the time being. The Angry Bovine with steeping grains.

 

I steeped Chocolate malt and Caramel whatever number it was. I don't remember. It was whatever Josh recommended on the Angry Bovine announcement.

 

I did not like that Chocolate malt. I am glad I went with a bit less than two ounce. It has a real strong flavor and smell. I am sure fermenting and conditioning will mellow it out, along with the sweetness from the lactose, but man. That is one to use sparingly.

 

Other than that, all went according to plan. I continued my new thing of cooling the wort before adding to the LBK. This time I cooled it down to 100, which I am glad I did because I did not put the water in the refrigerator last night like I normally would have and put it in the freezer late in the morning. It was not as cold as I would have liked, but it looks like I pitched the yeast at 68.  

 

This one will ferment for three weeks.


What is left?

 

Bottling my Hopped CAL. Bottling my #Myfestivus. Bottling this one.

 

And then continuing to wait for these beers to be ready!

I bottled my Angry Bovine on Friday! I brewed the recipe as is, it tasted great before I pitched the yeast but the sample I tested at bottling didn't have as much sweetness as I had hoped for. Keep me posted on the turnout of yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ga Ced said:

I bottled my Angry Bovine on Friday! I brewed the recipe as is, it tasted great before I pitched the yeast but the sample I tested at bottling didn't have as much sweetness as I had hoped for. Keep me posted on the turnout of yours.

 

Will do! It smells a lot better today than it did the first day. Much better.


I think you might the sweetness starts to come out as all the sugars are eaten except for the lactose sugars. That is what is going to give you the sweetness. How sweet though, I do not know either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got clearance to brew again this Friday so we're going to make 5 gallons of the Mr Beer Belgian Blanc right away and then go crazy with an all grain 10 gallon Bells Oberon clone recipe. We've made 14 cases of beer in the last 7 weeks, this will put us at about 20 cases in 8 weeks. #pipeline

MrWhy and AnthonyC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Got clearance to brew again this Friday so we're going to make 5 gallons of the Mr Beer Belgian Blanc right away and then go crazy with an all grain 10 gallon Bells Oberon clone recipe. We've made 14 cases of beer in the last 7 weeks, this will put us at about 20 cases in 8 weeks. #pipeline

How can you not like that!  Nice, Creeps!!! 

Creeps McLane likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

How can you not like that!  Nice, Creeps!!! 

Baby due in three weeks. I just keep telling my wife were brewing so much cuz I won't be brewing after the baby comes... But I want to make your grapefruit ale, that won't take long, and a batch of banana beer with my last Weiss. Those I can whip up while mommy and baby nap. 

MrWhy and AnthonyC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Got clearance to brew again this Friday so we're going to make 5 gallons of the Mr Beer Belgian Blanc right away and then go crazy with an all grain 10 gallon Bells Oberon clone recipe. We've made 14 cases of beer in the last 7 weeks, this will put us at about 20 cases in 8 weeks. #pipeline

 

That is some impressive pipeline building right there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

 

Continuing to update this project. 

 

Yesterday was a bottling day. I bottled my #MyFestivus. This has been fermenting three weeks. Then, based on schedule, emotions, and several other factors....I bottled my HoppedCALeXtreme, which has been fermenting for two weeks.

 

Okay. The #MyFestivus was due for bottling. The sample was not great, but few of my samples have been great. A bit sour. Not sure what was going on. But it has been three weeks so I bottled. 

 

I did a six pack in glass 12 oz. 

 

A bit of backstory before the next. Lately I've been using some Jameson for sanitary purposes. Wiping...soaking, etc. So I had the Jameson out out. I bottled the six pack. I thought to my self..."self, what if I put a shot of the old Irish into this German brew?" Never one to back down from a challenge, and since I already had three glass bombers sanitized, ready to dance, i added a shot of the whiskey and filled. So I've got three glass bombers of #MyFestivus with whiskey that are going to condition for a long time. after those, I bottled the rest in plastic 750. 

 

I then looked at my schedule and realized there was no way I would be bottling next weekend. And they weekend after? No way I could bottle my hopped CAL and my angry bovine.


So I bottled my hopped CAL Extreme. I was surprised how the sample tasted. Really pretty good. I am more excited about this one than I am #MyFestivus. This was bottled all glass 12oz'rs.

 

The last bit of news....not sure why, but deep in my bones I had this feeling that I needed to sample my Angry Bovine. I've NEVER sampled a brew before bottling. Never. But today, I just knew I needed to do this. So I did.

 

WOW. This is a great freaking brew. I think I am in love.

 

In my mind, this is going to be brewed again. And for the next Angry Bovine I am going to chase flavor and ABV.....I am envisioning an Imperial Angry Bovine.....Emperor Cow....

 

As I finish this round my next step is to really nail down a way to control fermenting temps. Going to get a refrigerator and Johnson controller. Want to be able to ferment at least three kegs at a time. Four would be better, while controlling/maintaining temps. My issue is with things getting too hot.....looking at the Danby 4.4 all fridge....or the Danby 11 all fridge.

Creeps McLane likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Hello!

 

Continuing to update this project. 

 

Yesterday was a bottling day. I bottled my #MyFestivus. This has been fermenting three weeks. Then, based on schedule, emotions, and several other factors....I bottled my HoppedCALeXtreme, which has been fermenting for two weeks.

 

Okay. The #MyFestivus was due for bottling. The sample was not great, but few of my samples have been great. A bit sour. Not sure what was going on. But it has been three weeks so I bottled. 

 

I did a six pack in glass 12 oz. 

 

A bit of backstory before the next. Lately I've been using some Jameson for sanitary purposes. Wiping...soaking, etc. So I had the Jameson out out. I bottled the six pack. I thought to my self..."self, what if I put a shot of the old Irish into this German brew?" Never one to back down from a challenge, and since I already had three glass bombers sanitized, ready to dance, i added a shot of the whiskey and filled. So I've got three glass bombers of #MyFestivus with whiskey that are going to condition for a long time. after those, I bottled the rest in plastic 750. 

 

I then looked at my schedule and realized there was no way I would be bottling next weekend. And they weekend after? No way I could bottle my hopped CAL and my angry bovine.


So I bottled my hopped CAL Extreme. I was surprised how the sample tasted. Really pretty good. I am more excited about this one than I am #MyFestivus. This was bottled all glass 12oz'rs.

 

The last bit of news....not sure why, but deep in my bones I had this feeling that I needed to sample my Angry Bovine. I've NEVER sampled a brew before bottling. Never. But today, I just knew I needed to do this. So I did.

 

WOW. This is a great freaking brew. I think I am in love.

 

In my mind, this is going to be brewed again. And for the next Angry Bovine I am going to chase flavor and ABV.....I am envisioning an Imperial Angry Bovine.....Emperor Cow....

 

As I finish this round my next step is to really nail down a way to control fermenting temps. Going to get a refrigerator and Johnson controller. Want to be able to ferment at least three kegs at a time. Four would be better, while controlling/maintaining temps. My issue is with things getting too hot.....looking at the Danby 4.4 all fridge....or the Danby 11 all fridge.

This is the 102nd time I'm going reccomend this. Get an ink bird temp controller instead. You get a heating and cooling outlet and you can set just about anything on there. My Johnson controller cost me $65, my ink bird cost me $38. Heater cost maybe $20 which you can't even use on the Johnson. And I can digitally see the actual temp instead of having another thermometer in there to confirm my set point which always seemed to be a few degrees different than what I set. Do what I say, thank me later

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

This is the 102nd time I'm going reccomend this. Get an ink bird temp controller instead. You get a heating and cooling outlet and you can set just about anything on there. My Johnson controller cost me $65, my ink bird cost me $38. Heater cost maybe $20 which you can't even use on the Johnson. And I can digitally see the actual temp instead of having another thermometer in there to confirm my set point which always seemed to be a few degrees different than what I set. Do what I say, thank me later

 

Alright. I am amending my earlier post. I am getting a refrigerator and an inkbird controller.

 

But finding a fridgy unit has been a bit of a beast. I think I've narrowed it down to a Danby 4.4. all fridge. 

Creeps McLane likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

This week:

Apricot Wheat 2g

Caribou Slobber 5g

Basil Strawberry 2g (finally)

 

Is there a recipe for 2g Caribou Slobber somewhere on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now