MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

333 posts in this topic

I just brewed Howling Red and That Voodoo That You Do last night.  I'll be bottling a Honey Ale that I made tonight and on deck are a Morning Joe Stout, Bourbon Barrel Stout, and Dad's Cream Ale.

Can't wait!

21 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

Is there a recipe for 2g Caribou Slobber somewhere on here?

No, the recipe I have is from Northern Brew & I don't think that there is a 2 gallon recipe for it. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

No, the recipe I have is from Northern Brew & I don't think that there is a 2 gallon recipe for it. 

There is a 1 gallon and a 5 gallon recipe on northern brewer. Doubled up 2-1 gallon slobber recipes into a lbk last year and it turned out great. Made a 5 gallon batch split between 2 lbks but is still conditioning in the bottle right now.

AnthonyC likes this

3 hours ago, kraig927 said:

There is a 1 gallon and a 5 gallon recipe on northern brewer. Doubled up 2-1 gallon slobber recipes into a lbk last year and it turned out great. Made a 5 gallon batch split between 2 lbks but is still conditioning in the bottle right now.

I totally forgot about the 1g recipe.  Glad it turned out great.  I hear nothing but good stuff about it.

10 hours ago, kraig927 said:

5 gallon split between 2 LBK's. Wouldn't that be pretty close to overflow or no?  Is that the first time you've done a split like that?  Just curious, because if that works I may try to do something like that soon.

I do it all the time, and many others do also.  With the right temps (mid 60s), and the right yeast (Nottingham will overflow), it works fine.

MichaelL likes this

Bottled my Steeped Angry Bovine. This is the Angry Bovine with the steeping grains that Josh recommended.

No pics. Bottling went well. Sample tastes pretty darn good. I'm excited about this one.

I did also bottle a Special Edition Steeped Angry Bovine. 22oz glass bombers. Angry Bovine with a nice shot of Irish Whiskey. A shot of vanilla coffee. A squoosh of vanilla extract. Considering calling this one Irish Coffee Cow.

---

And that wraps up this brewing season.

To sum up - from early Feb until now I've brewed and bottled:

Hopped ESB, Sir Kenneth Blonde, Dortmunder Remixed, Gigantor Quad, #MyFestivus, Hopped CAL, Angry Bovine.

7 Batches brewed and bottled. Not bad. Of those the only one I've sampled is my Hopped ESB and it is really good. 

I also have my regular ESB that I'm working on drinking. Very good. And my Mad American Ale, which turned out really good as well.

Next up I'm going to get a fridge and temp controller. Stabilizing my fermentation temps is my goal. I think that will do a lot to improve my beers. The whole ice thing just isn't working.

Once I've got that ready, I'll get the next brewing schedule up!

Thank you everyone for your advice, guidance, support, etc. I honestly don't know if I would have kept at it without this community.

TASTING NOTES -

My Dortmunder Remixed and Kenneth Blonde. I put them in the fridge a few days ago. The Dortmunder is at 6 weeks and the Kenneth Blonde is at 8 weeks.

--

Dortmunder Remixed - Dortmunder Seasonal brewed as an ale. Added a pale LME and hops.

Hop schedule was:

Warrior and Saaz Hops - 10 minute boil

Williamette added at flameout

Used US 05 yeast.

Brewed on March 16, 2016; Bottled on March 26, 2016

Not sure what is going on with this one. There is a bit of a sour undercurrent. Not bitter,  but sour. Is it an infection? Other than that it is a pretty good beer. I like the hop presence. Not too forward, but strong. In hindsight I wish I would have either added two pale LMEs or added a pale and a golden. I am still not sure if I am getting these off flavors because it fermented too hot or if I pitched too hot...or maybe I did not sanitize well at bottling? I will drink it but this is not one I would share with others, at least not this particular bottle. Going to give these a couple of more weeks to mellow out and see what is what. Perhaps a bit of extra conditioning, up to the 8 week mark, will smooth things out. Not a problem. I have some other beers to drink!

---

Kenneth Blonde

Brewed according to recipe

Brewed on Saturday Feb 27; Bottled on Fri Mar 11 (1 week early).

Liking this beer. Has a nice heffenweizen thing going. Good flavor. Malt and hops in balance. Refreshing. Very refreshing. If this was poured for me at a bar I would not blink twice. I am going to give a couple of bottles of this to my father in law and see what he thinks.

Was I more careful about fermenting temps with this one? Maybe........did I sanitize the bottles better? Maybe? I am not sure. But I like this beer, at least this bottle, as it is right now. I am putting this on my ready to drink list!

--

30 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

bit of a sour undercurrent

Sour is the last word I'd pick to describe this beer done straight, it was already quite bitter (to my admittedly wussy palette) without a hop boil. Was it sour like cider, like vinegar, like yogurt/sour cream, etc?

MrWhy likes this

13 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Sour is the last word I'd pick to describe this beer done straight, it was already quite bitter (to my admittedly wussy palette) without a hop boil. Was it sour like cider, like vinegar, like yogurt/sour cream, etc?

I don't know.  I might not have a refined enough palatte and vocabulary to describe it. Bitter was definitely there, and maybe the added hops create a bitterness that I am perceiving as sour? And it was an undercurrent.

Perhaps it was a bit more on the cider side. Definitely not vinegar or sour cream. 

It could be that it just needs a few more weeks to mellow out?

It was certainly drinkable. I drank it. My understanding is that if it is an infection, it is pretty hard to miss.......Trub in the bottle at bottling?

MRB Tim likes this

27 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

It could be that it just needs a few more weeks to mellow out?

Conditioning is the best course of action. If it can be fixed, that's how.

SUMMER BREW SCHEDULE

I know everyone has been waiting on pins and needles to see what the next brews are, and here we are.

Still rounding out the schedule, but this is the first batch for my summer brewing - I am thinking of this as the Go Big or Go Home Belgium Collection.

Gigantor Quad 2.0 - 2 Oktober fest, 1 each of the golden, smooth, and robust LMEs, steeping chocolate, crystal 60, and munich. Hops will be some goldings and hallertau. T-58 yeast. Booster added.

Dubbel 1.0 - Bewitched Amber, 1 Smooth and 1 Golden, Saaz hops. Booster. T-58. This one is mostly to recipe except I am adding golden for a nice foamy Belgium top, and booster to round out the extra malt.

Dubbel 2.0 - Bewitched Amber, 1 golden, 2 smooth, steeping munich, crystal, and a smidge of chocolate, hops will be hood and sterling, booster added.

If I ever make it down to my LHBS I may try to grab some Special B and Belgian Aromatic to through into the steeping mix.

The big news is that I have a fermenting fridge on the way. I never found anything I liked on Craigslist so I just ordered. Danby 4.4 All fridge. I am REALLY hoping I can fit three into that bad boy, if not two will do. Going to order my temp controller on Monday. Also REALLY hoping that taking care of the wild fermenting will start to improve the flavor profile of my beer.

If everything gets her on time, I should be able to get up and in production next weekend.

plans on sunday to bottle some beer, ok, a lot of beer... 

5 gallons of blue moon clone

5 gallons of belgian blanc

10 gallons oberon clone

that should be enough freaking wheat beers to last the whole summer.

bottling straight from four kegs with the blichmann beer gun. First time using it, sound be fun and easy, hopefully. I need to start drinking to make sure we have enough bottles

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

plans on sunday to bottle some beer, ok, a lot of beer... 

5 gallons of blue moon clone

5 gallons of belgian blanc

10 gallons oberon clone

that should be enough freaking wheat beers to last the whole summer.

bottling straight from four kegs with the blichmann beer gun. First time using it, sound be fun and easy, hopefully. I need to start drinking to make sure we have enough bottles

You ole beer squirrelin' s.o.b., you! ;)

HoppySmile! likes this

4 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

30 more gallons fermenting...

I cant really claim that though. My brew buddy has been keeping "boil over brewery" going since my boy was born. He made 10 gallons of some double IPA, 10 gallons of spotted cow clone and 10 gallons of a fat tire clone in the last 3 weeks. Hes been one busy boy. Hopefully he lets me in on some of these. I have 4 gallons of MRB to bargain with. 

AnthonyC and HoppySmile! like this

Ok, got my cart all ready on Ritebrew.com for my next three batches

4 gal Creepy Winter Clone

2.25 Gallon cIPtrA which is turning into a cascade IPA instead... Dont tell anyone

6.5 Gallon Intolerant Zombie, my Zombie Dust clone Gluten Free Style

That and 20 gallons of wheat beer should take care of summer.  Grand total minus yeast $50, Im cool with that ;)

Bonsai & Brew and HoppySmile! like this

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, MrWhy said:

To me, Istanbul will always be Constantinople.

kinda late on the like button............

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I cant really claim that though. My brew buddy has been keeping "boil over brewery" going since my boy was born. He made 10 gallons of some double IPA, 10 gallons of spotted cow clone and 10 gallons of a fat tire clone in the last 3 weeks. Hes been one busy boy. Hopefully he lets me in on some of these. I have 4 gallons of MRB to bargain with. 

fat tire is good stuff!, i'm bottling mine later today, would do it now but i'm still drunk from yesterday, and its 2 a.m. I had a near mini keg explosion so I had to tap into it yesterday, it was my northwest chinook ipa. its fabulous, but wanted to wait longer but had no choice, and when the keg is empty i'm going to have to recycle it, sad but it cud be wore I could have lost it all

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, MRB Tim said:

Conditioning is the best course of action. If it can be fixed, that's how.

Look at You!!! tell josh to get in the back seat! bcuz Oh Mighty Tim is Taking Over!!!!!       ( Oh Mighty Tim, reference to the Holy Grail movie )

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Alright!

The Danby 4.4 fridge is in, the inkbird is set up. It is time to start brewing again.

That is the good news. The somewhat bad news - despite seeing multiple posts where people talked about fitting three LBKs in it, I am just not seeing how it is possible. See the pic below. I've tried every possible combination, including going no shelve and just stacking the kegs on top of each other, but it is just not fitting. I've gone side by side, etc. The only thing I can think is that I would need to cut plastic off the door....but that might be beyond my skill set at the moment.

Part of me just wants to buy one more small fridge......

IMG_2766.JPG

Creeps McLane and HoppySmile! like this

People remove the plastic door panel and replace it with a flat sheet of whiteboard material to fit kegs (not sure what model or if LBKS would fit).  

Also remember that when you prop up the front of the LBK it is a tad shorter. And measure with the spigot attached of course.

https://www.google.com/search?q=danby+fridge+brewing+door+panel&oq=danby+fridge+brewing+door+panel

HoppySmile! likes this

Back to Action.

Summer Brewing - The Belgian Blast

May 21 

Quadzilla Quad 2.0

Double Dubbel Abbey Dubbel 2.0

Brewed these up today, first time doing two steeping grain brews in one day and running them concurrently (started one as the other was finishing.)

Quadzilla 

Steeped/Mashed Munich, Crystal 60, and some chocolate malt.

Booster

Robust, Smooth, and Golden LME's 

Goldings and Hallertau for a 10 minute boil

Wine yeast at boil (extra nutrient for the yeast.)

2 Oktoberfest HMEs

T-58

There was a lot of liquid/malt so I brought down the temp with an ice bath before putting it into the LBK. Looks like i pitched the yeast at 70.

Double Dubbel

Steeped/mashed Munich and Crystal and just a touch of chocolate malt

Golden, and 2 Smooth LMEs

Hood and Sterling for a 5 minute boil

Wine yeast at boil 

1 Bewitched Amber

T-58

With the almost freezer cold water, this ended up pitching at 70 too.

Alright. Three weeks in the fermenting fridge for these bad boys and then a LONG condition. These are going to be some ready by winter beers.

A few things...found another refrigerator on sale.......and I could not resist. So I am adding another "fermenting" chamber. Go Me!!!!! It is a different brand but I think I will be able to fit two more LBKs in. Ordered another temp control unit as well....#GOMEDOUBLE!

So with that, the brewing production is increasing.

Took advantage of this little sale the MrBeer people put together and ordered up some things, and a fourth LBK.

Belgian Blast continues. Once my two big boys are done fermenting and bottled going to brew up

Abbey Double Standard - no steeping grains. Almost to recipe. I have this on hand already.

Belgian Wit - the partial mash one. On sale it is a great deal.

Then I am going to work up two more CAL experiments. My first went real well so #madscientist here I come.

My base for both of these is CAL + Booster + Pale + Gold

For one I am going to work some arrangement of Fuggle, Goldings, and Columbus 

For the other I am going to hop it with Warrior, Palisade, and Hallertau.

Looking forward to both.

#brewlife

MRB Josh R and Creeps McLane like this