Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

Upcoming things i cant forget tondo: rack my lager into a secondary tomorrow night, start cold crashing the gluten free maybe on wednesday? Started the DR on my lager late last night, that wouldve been day 9 and saw some nice air lock activity at about 20 seconds intervals when i was perving today. Then i start the temp lowering stage. Reccomended 5 defrees per day but i may do 3 just cuz i have the time. Thinking about kegging it instead of bottling to avoid having to splurge on another packet of yeast. Bought some nice conditioning tablets off amazon though. Not sure if ill use them on any of these two beers. Everything is always undecided until i decide

Okay! The second brewing is installed and in effect. Heck Ya!!!! I can now ferment four LBKs at a controlled temp at one time. This is awesome. And it works out great because I have four LBKs! This is 10 gallons of potential beer at any given time.

Right now -

6/11 - Bottled my Quadzilla

6/12 - Brewed my Hoppy CAL (CAL + Booster + Pale + Gold, hopped with Warrior, Palisade, and Hallertau)

Still need to bottle up my Double Dubbel that is fermenting. Need to get to it this week, or by the weekend at the latest.

Still have to brew up -

Another Hoppy CAL (this one with Fuggle, Goldings, and Columbus); another Dubbel, and a nice PM Pale Belgian (the Whit your Whistle).

The last thing is a super hopped ESB that I am dreaming up.

51 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Okay! The second brewing is installed and in effect. Heck Ya!!!! I can now ferment four LBKs at a controlled temp at one time. This is awesome. And it works out great because I have four LBKs! This is 10 gallons of potential beer at any given time.

Now youll need a bottling bucket if you dont already have one... 

PS i bought the brewers best conditioning tablets, really excited. I popped some in my gluten free before i batch primed the rest. Theyre smaller so you can really dial in the carb you want! 

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

Now youll need a bottling bucket if you dont already have one... 

PS i bought the brewers best conditioning tablets, really excited. I popped some in my gluten free before i batch primed the rest. Theyre smaller so you can really dial in the carb you want! 

Bottling bucket.....a kegging system....a conditioning beer cave....

The possibilities are endless!

I do not have a bottling bucket yet. I've still been doing the whole one bottle at a time thing......barbaric. Simply barbaric....

#HUBRIS

6/13 - Brewed up another Hoppy CAL. 

Booster+Pale LME + Golden

15 Minute Hop Boil

15 Minute - Columbus and Goldings

5 Minute - Fuggle

--

Add CAL.

---

Darn it. Was in a rush to get this done so I threw some water in the freezer, hoping it would get cold enough to do what it needed to do. It didn't and I pitched way too warm. It is in the fermenting fridge now, hoping to bring the temperature down before too much damage is done.

Bottled up my Double Dubbel.

Abbey Dubbel Recipe with some added LMEs, steeping grains, and a different hop profile.

This ended up four weeks in the LBK.

All went well and it tasted outstanding. The strong hops flavor has melted into the beer and I am getting some belgian fruit notes from the yeast. 

This feels like a big beer. I can taste that alcohol bite in it, but it doesn't feel like it is going to need months to condition out. 

Brewed up my Weak Wit.

Steeping Grains - Red wheat and Pilsen malt.

2 Gold LME's

Booster

Hallertau at flame out

T-58

--

Probably used too much grain. Definitely more than half the bag for each. Kept temps pretty stable. Around 150 for 30 minutes. Used an ice bath to bring the wort temp down to 80. That with cold enough water (not refrigerator cold, but cold) got my wort temp down to an acceptable level for pitching the yeast. Not pitching too hot again!

I call this the Weak Wit because I did not use any orange zest or coriander. So this is less Blue Moon and more....I don't know. More not Blue Moon. I will let this ferment up and see where it goes.

--

EDIT - The HME was Bavarian Weiss!!! And it was Pilsen, not pilsner!

Well, how much of each did you use? Also the Pilsner you used, do you mean you got regular pilsner malt and are steeping it?(except for carapils{if it is}, I've seen no form of non fermentable pilsner malt, learn me something) If so, I honestly would suggest you get an equal amount of malted wheat (per the Reinheitsgebot) and do a partial mash...you'll get more bang for the buck.

@Adam10 & @Jim Johnson

I did the "Whit Your Whistle" Partial Mash Recipe minus the coriander and orange.

I forgot to put that I used the Bavarian HME. And it was Pilsen Malt, not Pilsner. Typo!

I did about an equal amount of wheat and pilsen and I think I did a partial mash. I kept the grains at 150 for 30 minutes. That would be a partial mash right?

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Brewing for the first time in quite awhile this weekend. Heres whats on the menu

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

Something looks a little screwy, Creeps.  If I'm reading this right it has your HME listed as a hop in the Night Walker Bone Warmer.  It could also be that I'm up wayyy to early.

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Something looks a little screwy, Creeps.  If I'm reading this right it has your HME listed as a hop in the Night Walker Bone Warmer.  It could also be that I'm up wayyy to early.

AC, you are up way too early! 

Mom not sure about the program, but it should be accounting for the IBUs in the HME. 

Alright, big brwing weekend coming up.  Heres what I have planned:

Slawson Saison

Recipe   Slawson Saison   Style   Saison
Brewer       Batch   7.00 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.070 OG   Estimated FG   1.017 FG
Recipe Bitterness   34 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   6.7%
Recipe Color   8° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   5.3%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
1.00 lb   Victory Malt   Grain   Mashed
3.00 lb   Pilsener (Belgian) - [Light] Base malt of European Beers and US beers of all types   Grain   Mashed
0.50 lb   CaraPils - [Body, Head]   Grain   Mashed
3.74 lb   Mr. Beer/Coopers Classic American Light   Extract   Extract
1.87 lb   Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbier   Extract   Extract
3.30 lb   Briess LME - Pilsen Light   Extract   Extract
1.00 lb   Briess DME - Pilsen Light   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
1.00 oz   Mt. Hood - Aroma -Mild, herbal and somewhat pungent or spicy   Pellet   60 minutes
0.50 oz   Columbus - Dual purpose hop with intense earthy and faint citrus character. Use in American ales   Pellet   30 minutes
0.50 oz   Columbus - Dual purpose hop with intense earthy and faint citrus character. Use in American ales   Pellet   10 minutes
2.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Classic American Light   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Bavarian Weissbier   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Columbus - Dual purpose hop with intense earthy and faint citrus character. Use in American ales   Pellet   0 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Generic   Other   Dan Star Saison Belle Yeast

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

And then batch # 2:

Big Boy Hopped Lager

Recipe   Big Boy Hopped Lager   Style   American IPA
Brewer       Batch   5.00 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.075 OG   Estimated FG   1.019 FG
Recipe Bitterness   66 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   7.2%
Recipe Color   11° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   5.7%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
1.00 lb   Victory Malt   Grain   Mashed
3.00 lb   Pilsener (Belgian) - [Light] Base malt of European Beers and US beers of all types   Grain   Mashed
0.50 lb   CaraPils - [Body, Head]   Grain   Mashed
1.87 lb   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Extract   Extract
1.87 lb   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Extract   Extract
3.30 lb   Briess LME - Golden Light   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
0.50 oz   Simcoe - Bittering woodsy pine, mahogany/walnut wood aroma, with some resinous/candy-like and citrus character.   Pellet   60 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   60 minutes
0.50 oz   Simcoe - Bittering woodsy pine, mahogany/walnut wood aroma, with some resinous/candy-like and citrus character.   Pellet   20 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   20 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   10 minutes
1.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Citra - Musky tropical fruit and strong citrus make this a great flavor/aroma hop very fruity   Pellet   0 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   0 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Saflager W-34/70 Weihenstephan   Yeast   Temperature Range: 48°-59° F 11.5 GRAMS

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

Currently fermenting Lemony WIt

Next up:

Golden One with some grains (Carapils and Biscuit malt)

Diablo with Cascade Dry hop

Zombiefest with Pumpkin Spice Cheerios added after 1 week fermentation - (in cooler)

Calavera Chile Stout

Next, Next up

Cooper's 6 gal Sparkling Ale kit in 3 LBKs

1. Standard recipe

2. Standard + Pride of Ringwood at flameout

3. Subst Sparkling Amber DME instead of the light DME and add Fuggles at Flameout.

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Currently fermenting Lemony WIt

Next up:

Golden One with some grains (Carapils and Biscuit malt)

Diablo with Cascade Dry hop

Zombiefest with Pumpkin Spice Cheerios added after 1 week fermentation

Next, Next up

Cooper's 6 gal Sparkling Ale kit in 3 LBKs

1. Standard recipe

2. Standard + Pride of Ringwood at flameout

3. Subst Sparkling Amber DME instead of the light DME and add Fuggles at Flameout.

Interesting ingredient choice! Let us know how it turns out!

It was a series of things coming together.

It is everything Pumpkin time and  my daughter mentioned she had them in Az,

+ I did not want to mess with ACTUAL PUMPKIN this year

+ past Pumpkin ales have been based on Oktoberfest

+ I remembered the Lucky Charms Milk Stout

then

my wife was visiting her to cheer her in a marathon race

+ You posted the Zombiefest recipe

AND I thought .............AHA!

So.........my wife brought me back a cup of the Cheerios to put in it.  

Oh - and I added the Calavera Chile Stout to the list.

And Boston Lager clone next on cooler after the Zombiefest.

Peace and love fellow brewers.

It has been many, many moons. The stories I could, and eventually will, tell you of this time are both epic and humbling.

Here is where we stand with this prior round of brewing.

The simple Wit turned into an unbelievably tasty session beer. It is not outstanding...but it's basic drinkability makes it more than it should be. 

The Abbey Dubbel continues to condition, as does quad 2.0. But I just had a big bottle of the quad 2.0, poured in a big mug. I am a bit toasty because it is a malty, high ABV, tasty, bastard.

Both of the CAL+ turned out very interesting. The fuggle/warrior one is spicy, hoppy and unique in a good way. The golding's one is what I would describe as a strong english ale.

I am onto my next batch of brews. I took advantage of a recent sale to pick up some of the last seasonals. 

Using the Baltic Porters I concocted two high ABV brews. One was an imperial porter...the other was a brown belgian beast.

Will update at the appropriate time.