MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

284 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Done.  Love this beer. A bit pricey....but who cares. I don't need food or clothes.

I hear you!  Between the recipie and the 2G fermenter, I spent close to $100 to brew this beer.  I can re-use the 2G fermenter.  Even still - totally worth it to keep growing and learning in this fascinating hobby!

MrWhy and dale hihn like this

Saturday 5/6

Bottled up my Redo Ale, the rebrewing of my first beer. I am looking to brew a very drinkable Belgian Amber Ale. 

Bottling went fine but I guess I under filled the LBK because I only got 10 bottles, not my usual 11.

Sample was fine. A drinkable ale with a slight Belgian flavor from the yeast.  Kind of boring, but I guess the goal was to fix my first beer, and in that case I succeeded beyond measure.  Color seemed a bit pale from what I remember, not amber at all.

I am thinking that next time I brew this I am going to add some grains, and maybe swap out the saaz for a different hop. Zythos maybe.

Sunday 5/7

Bottled up my Zythos Hopped CAL. What a complete crap show. Only got nine bottles. I've been under filling for some reason. And on the last the little spigot clogged.

Whatever. The sample was really good. I mean really, really good. So I am happy. 

Before I bottle my next two (La Noche and the Hopstimulator) I am going to cold crash. 

Next bit of news, everything is ready for my adventures in BIAB. Have my first all grain ingredients ready to go. Going to brew up a London Porter. I'm quite excited.

hotrod3539 and Creeps McLane like this

Thinking tomorrow ill do a 5 gallon BIAB hefe. I have both the boys by myself tonight so i do believe i am allowed some fun alone time tomorrow night.  Should be a nice night in front of the dark star. 

MrWhy likes this

33 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Thinking tomorrow ill do a 5 gallon BIAB hefe. I have both the boys by myself tonight so i do believe i am allowed some fun alone time tomorrow night.  Should be a nice night in front of the dark star. 

Tomorrow I am going to brew up my first all grain, BIAB. A London Porter. 

Did a run through for my process.  I can get 4 gallons up to strike temp with ease and no problem bringing 4 to a boil.

I can fit my 5 gallon into the sink for an ice bath.

A few things I have not figured out yet....I did not have my ruler I ordered so I wasn't able to measure gallon levels or boil off rate.

Still have not decided if I am going to pour my chilled wort into the big pot after or get it into the LBK from there.

#soexcited

Creeps McLane likes this

9 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Tomorrow I am going to brew up my first all grain, BIAB. A London Porter. 

Did a run through for my process.  I can get 4 gallons up to strike temp with ease and no problem bringing 4 to a boil.

I can fit my 5 gallon into the sink for an ice bath.

A few things I have not figured out yet....I did not have my ruler I ordered so I wasn't able to measure gallon levels or boil off rate.

Still have not decided if I am going to pour my chilled wort into the big pot after or get it into the LBK from there.

#soexcited

I just used a piece of quarter round for my yardstick . Ask your wife what that is if you don't know

MrWhy likes this

@Creeps McLane

I have started my BIAB adventures! A london porter from my LHBS. Original recipe is for 5.5 gallons and calculated at 60% efficiency. I just cut everything in half.

2.5 Gallon

Grains:

Pale 2 row - 5.25 lbs

Brown Malt - 8 oz

Crystal 40 - 8 oz

Chocolate - 2.5 oz

Pale Chocolate - 2.5 oz

mash at 152

Hops:

Fuggles .5 @ 60

Fuggles .25 @10

---

Using the simple biab calculator I started with 4.25 gallons of water in my big kettle. I brought it up to 165 (ish) and added my grain bag and grains. I stirred and turned off the temp, put on the lid. The temp dropped to below 160. Hard to tell with the brew thermometer, but it looked closer to the 160 than the 150 so I'm thinking 158. I know there is a difference between mashing at 152 vs. 158, but I just left it. It essentially held that temp for the duration of the mash.

For a variety of factors I decided I did not want to do either a mash out or a sparge. Mashout, I just didn't. Sparging, it is a logistics issue. I need one more pot to transfer the grains into after sparging and I didn't have it. I am not even sure how much I need it? Until I can measure for efficiency and gravity, I just won't know. So I lifted the bag out, let it drip, and I know I am not "supposed" to, but I went ahead and squeezed the bag a bit to get everything out.

After the grain, squeezing, etc. I ended up with about 3.6 gallons of wort. 

I am now in the process of the hop boil.

Will update with the next steps!

Hop boil completed.

Using the tube and valve, I transferred the wort into the 5 gallon kettle. As it got to the level of the little hole thing, it sputtered and stopped (as I expected it would.) But when I tilted the kettle, it still wouldn't flow. I thought it might have clogged with gunk, but with my initial clean up it appears that was not the case. A flow/pressure thing? I don't know. I would like to start finding a way to get some of that gunk out. Irish moss? The more beer trub trapper?

Beer went into the 5 gallon and it seems like i have a shade under 3 gallons. Perhaps 2.75. Not bad at all. 

Due to scheduling issues, I don't have the time to wait for it to cool and transfer to fermenter right now. So a quick ice bath to get the wort cool enough that I could handle the kettle and it is now sitting in my fermentation fridge, set at 68, cooling down. If I get home in time and the wort is cool enough, I'll transfer to the LBK and pitch. If not...tomorrow AM I suppose.

Which kind of sucks because now I'll need to re-sanitize everything.

A note - apparently the smell of BIAB is a lot worse than extract (which my fam already hated.) The kid and wife were miserable. Which means I just might be picking up a propane burner and transferring to the garage. Or the wife and daughter are going to have some nice bonding time at the mall or something on days when I brew.

Just made a 5 gallon SMaSH Saison (single malt, single hop) using a single-step decoction mash. I'm calling it "Smashing Lemons Saison".

10 lbs Pilsner Malt

1 oz Lemondrop @ 60 mins

1 oz Lemondrop @ 15 mins

1 oz Lemondrop @ FL

1 oz Lemondrop Dry-hop for 4 days

Zest of 2 lemons soaked in Everclear (added to the dry-hop)

1 Package of GigaYeast Saison #1 (GY018) - This is a French Saison yeast - drier and cleaner tasting than Belgian Saison yeasts

1 Whirlfloc tab

1 capsule of Servomyces yeast nutrient

1.051 OG

5% ABV

30 IBUs

3.5 SRM

Fermenting at 66 F to keep it clean tasting. I want to minimize the esters so they are just in the background.

This should be a crisp, dry, and sessionable summer saison. I'll keep you posted on how it comes out. :) 

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Hop boil completed.

Using the tube and valve, I transferred the wort into the 5 gallon kettle. As it got to the level of the little hole thing, it sputtered and stopped (as I expected it would.) But when I tilted the kettle, it still wouldn't flow. I thought it might have clogged with gunk, but with my initial clean up it appears that was not the case. A flow/pressure thing? I don't know. I would like to start finding a way to get some of that gunk out. Irish moss? The more beer trub trapper?

Beer went into the 5 gallon and it seems like i have a shade under 3 gallons. Perhaps 2.75. Not bad at all. 

Due to scheduling issues, I don't have the time to wait for it to cool and transfer to fermenter right now. So a quick ice bath to get the wort cool enough that I could handle the kettle and it is now sitting in my fermentation fridge, set at 68, cooling down. If I get home in time and the wort is cool enough, I'll transfer to the LBK and pitch. If not...tomorrow AM I suppose.

Which kind of sucks because now I'll need to re-sanitize everything.

A note - apparently the smell of BIAB is a lot worse than extract (which my fam already hated.) The kid and wife were miserable. Which means I just might be picking up a propane burner and transferring to the garage. Or the wife and daughter are going to have some nice bonding time at the mall or something on days when I brew.

Im so proud of you ?

Try this next time, should help with the clogging. They make them in 12 and 6". 

Bazooka Screen for Homebrew Kettle or Mash Tun by The Weekend Brewer (12") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBWUQ8L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mb6fzbQM0GND8

MrWhy and hotrod3539 like this

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Im so proud of you ?

Try this next time, should help with the clogging. They make them in 12 and 6". 

Bazooka Screen for Homebrew Kettle or Mash Tun by The Weekend Brewer (12") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBWUQ8L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mb6fzbQM0GND8

Many thanks!

Chilled wort transferred to LBK. Yeast pitched. LBK in fermenting fridge set at 68.

A few things....

I need to think through the transfer to LBK process. It did not go very smoothly. But it is a new process for me, so what can I say.

I resanitized everything. I used a measuring cup to transfer wort to LBK through strainer. I did not lay down towels, etc. and was not not prepared for the drip factor. The drip accumulated and became a real problem, which caused frustration. Next time lay towels and be more deliberate.

The size of the 5 gallon pot is a problem. I think instead of a 5 gallon pot, a smaller 3 to4 gallon pot would work really well. The 5 gallon pot has many uses, but I think I need the third kettle. Just easier overall to manage.

I really liked putting the kettle into the fermenting fridge and just walking away. It wont work all the time, based on what I've got going on.....but it is a real nice thing to have as an option...HMMMMM.....maybe I am over thinking this. I don't need to get wort down to pitching temps in the kettle....just get it down to a reasonable temp, transfer to LBK, throw in fridge until ready.......

@Creeps McLane showed me a nice filter. I think I need to explore this. I prefer to try an eliminate some of the stuff going into the beer. And work my process to eliminate more of this stuff each step.

Cleaning the BIAB bag.....yikes.....I need to work on this.

Overall I am pleased with the process and looking forward to exploring the world of all grain BIAB more.

Mr. Beer....do not fear! This was a long brewing day. I am really looking forward to the nice, simple familiar process of brewing up my Chinook IRA....with hop bags!

Creeps McLane and hotrod3539 like this

38 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Many thanks!

Chilled wort transferred to LBK. Yeast pitched. LBK in fermenting fridge set at 68.

A few things....

I need to think through the transfer to LBK process. It did not go very smoothly. But it is a new process for me, so what can I say.

I resanitized everything. I used a measuring cup to transfer wort to LBK through strainer. I did not lay down towels, etc. and was not not prepared for the drip factor. The drip accumulated and became a real problem, which caused frustration. Next time lay towels and be more deliberate.

The size of the 5 gallon pot is a problem. I think instead of a 5 gallon pot, a smaller 3 to4 gallon pot would work really well. The 5 gallon pot has many uses, but I think I need the third kettle. Just easier overall to manage.

I really liked putting the kettle into the fermenting fridge and just walking away. It wont work all the time, based on what I've got going on.....but it is a real nice thing to have as an option...HMMMMM.....maybe I am over thinking this. I don't need to get wort down to pitching temps in the kettle....just get it down to a reasonable temp, transfer to LBK, throw in fridge until ready.......

@Creeps McLane showed me a nice filter. I think I need to explore this. I prefer to try an eliminate some of the stuff going into the beer. And work my process to eliminate more of this stuff each step.

Cleaning the BIAB bag.....yikes.....I need to work on this.

Overall I am pleased with the process and looking forward to exploring the world of all grain BIAB more.

Mr. Beer....do not fear! This was a long brewing day. I am really looking forward to the nice, simple familiar process of brewing up my Chinook IRA....with hop bags!

You sir are making beer! Congrats to you. Honestly you will notice a difference switching to all grain. This is a big step and its easy to get caught up in it but after a brew or two you will see yourself getting better and by then you'll know what works for you and what doesn't. Maybe you need a few more pieces, maybe you can make what you have work for you. Its all in your hands 

as far as your problems, no biggie. Youll get better as you go but it seems like you did pretty well for your first time. 

As far as transferring the wort. Again ill ask if a 5 gallon fermenter is a possibility. It will save you a lot of agony if you can work it.  Bazooka screen plus mesh strainer is guaranteed to keep all junk out of your fermenter. 

Wort chiller? Maybe, if feasible. I recommend it but maybe its just an extra cost that you dont need. A good solid cold break is a good thing! But... Your beer is yours, you brew it how you see fit. 

Once you get the hang of this BIAB thing you can walk away during the mash and do some cleaning or take a shower or whatever. Tonight i tidied up the garage while mine was going on.

in short, you do what you have to do. Myself or anyone else here may suggest a lot of things but in the end only you know what your limits are. I see you producing great beer. You seem to have a wonderful taste for great beer and damn it you will brew some too!!! I applaud you tonight for stepping out of the box and betting yourself as a homebrewer 

hotrod3539 and MrWhy like this

Newspaper on the counter for the drips.

Ice blocks in the sink for cooling, made in used plastic containers.

MrWhy likes this

7 hours ago, MrWhy said:

@Creeps McLane

Moving into all grain is a big step for me. It is something I said I would never do because I didn't really believe I could ever do it. But here I am....a year an six into my life as a brewer and I just completed my first all grain session. And it wasn't a disaster! But this isn't because of any special talent. It's because i was blessed to find my way to this forum. 

Thank you for your support and help during this. And thank you to all my Mr. Beer peeps.. @MiniYoda  @RickBeer.... @Bonsai & Brew @KaijuBrew @HoppySmile! @MRB Josh R @MRB Josh B @MRB Tim @AnthonyC (miss you brother brewer!) @Shrike @Big Sarge @Nickfixit    ....and anyone I missed.

While I love both my wife and daughter deeply, they are not really committed to my growth as a brewer. (Although my wife has promised me she will learn to use a refractometer and do my gravity reading/testings.....)

Brewing has given me a deep joy and, if I am not getting to deep or sentimental, has honestly brought a bit of meaning to my existence. I love brewing beer. I love the malts...the hops...the yeast...the process. And, still being honest, I have no doubt without the support of the people on this forum I would have given up, moved along, etc.

Every single person who takes the time to read a post, like it, respond, give advice, ask a question.....thank you. I've never met any of you IRL (YET!) but I appreciate you all.

And with that...I am out for the night!

Mr Why - it is great to find something you love to do - stick with it while it gives you joy!

I got my kids into to brewing by making root beer batches with them.  My wife is a great cook in her own right.  Our running joke is she stays out of the beer making EXCEPT the point in every batch where the wort is poured into the fermenter.  I always joke that the secret ingredient in every batch is the love of my wife!

Like you, over the past months, I have discovered that I love the process of making beer too - even more than drinking it!  But that is fun too.  As the beers I make get better (or more to my taste) due to experience, better technique and all the great tips I get here - it is so fun to share them.

When I share a home brew with someone for the first time - I love the look on people's faces when they taste something home made.  Sometimes there is a look of trepidation followed by a taste and then surprised look and a smile when it actually tastes good!  That experience makes it a very fun hobby for me!

Keep up the good work!

MrWhy, dale hihn and Bonsai & Brew like this

@MrWhy

When I split a 6 gal recipe into 3 LBKs I fortunately do it not as AG so I have less liquid to deal with. I will make partial mash and hop boils separately for each LBK if they are different brews, so 1 gal pot is good, and I can ladle out from that while holding it over the LBKs to limit drips. Same with the HME. So for an actual 5 gal container, I could suggest trying to get one with a spigot? I am assuming you do not based on cup comments. e.g.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/biab-brew-bag-kettle-kit.html?a_aid=homebrewing

http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/anvil-brew-kettle-5-gal.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/8-gal-megapot

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Stainless-Steel-10-Gallon-Spigot-Pot/6660146/product.html

Then you could fill a quart or 1/2 gal jug as interim container for wort transfer in a controlled way.

Maybe you can find cheaper on sale or used.

MrWhy likes this

28 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

@MrWhy

When I split a 6 gal recipe into 3 LBKs I fortunately do it not as AG so I have less liquid to deal with. I will make partial mash and hop boils separately for each LBK if they are different brews, so 1 gal pot is good, and I can ladle out from that while holding it over the LBKs to limit drips. Same with the HME. So for an actual 5 gal container, I could suggest trying to get one with a spigot? I am assuming you do not based on cup comments. e.g.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/biab-brew-bag-kettle-kit.html?a_aid=homebrewing

http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/anvil-brew-kettle-5-gal.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/8-gal-megapot

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Stainless-Steel-10-Gallon-Spigot-Pot/6660146/product.html

Then you could fill a quart or 1/2 gal jug as interim container for wort transfer in a controlled way.

Maybe you can find cheaper on sale or used.

My mash/boil kettle (8 gallons) has a spigot, but it is way too big to get into the sink for an ice bath. So I need to get the wort out of that kettle, into something manageable (my 5 gallon). That fits in the sink for the ice bath and fits in my mini fridge.

I'm going to look at that bazooka thing or maybe a false bottom for my boil kettle....a better funnel/strainer for transferring the wort. 

Rick beer said something about "newspaper" but I don't know what he means....do I lay my kindle down??? Haha. Just joking. Kind of. I have not had a newspaper in years.....but I am going to be more deliberate about laying down some towels and such. (I've got plenty of old towels for just this sort of thing. Also thinking of getting a nice 32 ounce ladle......or just grab an autosiphon. 

I've bot my IRA with chinook hops to brew up.......I want to get in one more BIAB session to hone my skill set before I take my summer break.

Finally got my pale ale in the LBK. 

In two weeks I shall start a 5 gallon batch of my Spurgeon Farmhouse Ale, followed by a 2gal Hefeweizen and then a 5 gallon IPA featuring African hops

Creeps McLane and MrWhy like this

On 5/14/2017 at 7:40 AM, KaijuBrew said:

Mr Why - it is great to find something you love to do - stick with it while it gives you joy!

I got my kids into to brewing by making root beer batches with them.  My wife is a great cook in her own right.  Our running joke is she stays out of the beer making EXCEPT the point in every batch where the wort is poured into the fermenter.  I always joke that the secret ingredient in every batch is the love of my wife!

Like you, over the past months, I have discovered that I love the process of making beer too - even more than drinking it!  But that is fun too.  As the beers I make get better (or more to my taste) due to experience, better technique and all the great tips I get here - it is so fun to share them.

When I share a home brew with someone for the first time - I love the look on people's faces when they taste something home made.  Sometimes there is a look of trepidation followed by a taste and then surprised look and a smile when it actually tastes good!  That experience makes it a very fun hobby for me!

Keep up the good work!

What kind of root beer batches? What size? I have a 5 gallon batch to make which will be my first batch ever. They say to naturally carb to put some yeast in it then refrigerate when its at the level you want. You have any experience with this?

Sun 5/21

Bottled La Noche Obscura and Bottled that funky buddha IPA thing.

Wow.....I am not going to lie. Both of these are currently in the running for the best beer I've ever brewed. 

Next up to bottle is my all grain London Porter.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I MIGHT be shutting it down after this.  I'm going to try to avoid a yearlong spiritual quest....but we cannot always choose what the Great Brewer chooses for us.  

Bonsai & Brew likes this

WhyBrewingCo Tasting Weekend:

Imperial Porter bottled 3/4/17 (12 weeks conditioning as of tasting)

Brown Belgian Beast bottled 3/18/17 (10 weeks conditioning as of tasting)

Imperial Red Ale Plus bottled 4/15/17 (6 weeks conditioning as of tasting)

Slap Hoppy Stout bottled 3/25/17 (9 weeks conditioning as of tasting)

Imperial Porter: Huh....not my best beer. But not my worst. The banana flavor is still a bit too present. It is still not balanced, the malt sweetness needs a stronger hop bitterness and presence. And it is strong. As in headache the next day strong. I fermented this too warm. I'll have another one in a few weeks and end up saving a couple for a nice long while, but nothing says this one is a long-term keeper. 

Brown Belgian Beast - this was a crazy drunk brew. The first sample I tasted evoked the flavors of raw meat. So this one has come a long way because at this point it tastes like a sweet, strong, brown belgian. It is not great. I am not sure if it is even drinkable. The alcohol is very strong in this one. I mean, I can taste alcohol. But at this point it does not taste like raw meat, which is an improvement. I think this is one I am happy to give several months to before sampling again, just to see what happens.

Imperial Red Ale - WINNER!!!!! Great deep amber color. I upped this one with 3 smooth LME and some centennial and cascade hops. Legitimate great beer.  Love it. Great flavor, great balance. Strong but not overpowering....feeling there is not need to sit on this one. Just going to start putting it into the drinking cycle. 

Slap Hoppy Stout - WINNER!!!!! Wow.....according to my notes I decided not to note what I did. Which is both unfortunate and boldly invigorating. That being said this current version of the slap hoppy stout is in every way outstanding. I love this beer. The recipe is two saint pats and a robust, and some northern brewer and goldings. Not sure what I ended up doing, but whatever. I will accept my brilliance without question. Seriously, not many times I've been served a better strong stout. Thinking that this one, along with my Imperial IRA is going into the rotation immediately, with maybe one or two saved for longer conditioning. Or not.

So as it stands....IRA and Slap Hoppy are great beers and going into the the drinking mix now. The Imperial Porter sucks (my fault) and I see no reason to try to let it sit out. Will drink up and free the bottles (saving one). Brown Belgian...sucks.....but I'm going to sit this one out for awhile and just see what happens.

Bonsai & Brew, Shrike and kedogn like this

Ordered 10 gallons worth of stout ingredients yesterday. Figuring ill make a split batch, 5 as a regular stout and the other 5 will have 4 oz of cocoa nibs and an undetermined amout of coffee. 

kedogn, MrWhy and hotrod3539 like this

Sake Tasting 5/29/17

Picking up the kid today from a friend's house and it turned out she wanted another half hour of chill time, which I was happy to oblige. Stopped at a nearby Asian market and decided to pick up some different sakes to try.

I am not unfamiliar with sake and have had several tastings over the years, but I am not in any way a sophisticated drinker of the brew. It has always been next on my list. Beer. Bourbon. Manhattans. Sake. We all should have well defined goals. 

Sake 1 - Sparkling Peach Sake.

ozekisparklingpeach.jpg.9efe85b6fb31ccd4090a31534ce8c5ce.jpg

Once at disneyworld I had an outstanding lemon sparkling sake that I've never been able to find again, but I have been looking. This is a fine drink and I could see it being the base for a nice summer cocktail or a wonderful summer evening picnic sake. But if you are looking for any sense of "traditional" this is probably not it. While I did not see it at my market, they also sell this in cans. And while I used the word traditional, I would like to point out that in japan, there really is no such thing as traditional. You can walk into a 7-11 and buy any of these in a can......along with whiskey highballs and whatever else you want.

Sake 2 - Pineapple Sake

pineapplesake.jpg.2fd1453b51ed3d545b6127ddedd72c4f.jpg

This one was really nice. It was not sparkling and it retained more of the traditional sake taste than the above. The above was a sparkling peach drink. This was a sake with mild hints of pineapple in the background. I really enjoyed it and it is a very drinkable 10%....which is to say I should probably watch out. I had a strong pour and it went a lot more quickly than it should.

Sake 3 - Traditional Junmai Sake

blackbottlesake.thumb.jpg.48a2df8e7812b5db8e20d03e1927d4c9.jpg

This was my "traditional sake" sake choice. Junmai sake (double check spelling and accuracy). It is a strong 14%. I like this a lot, but I really like sake. It is clean and clear. Very mild, in a good way. Polished and refined. Keep in mind that my palate is anything but polished and refined at this point, so it could be swill. But I do not think so. No haze at all in this one.  Planning on doing a sake tasting with some friends and I am putting this on the list. In fact, I am wondering if there is not any reason to just give myself a second really strong pout tonight.

All in all a good evening for sake. Over the next few weeks I am going to continue to build my knowledge base and expand my palate.

Shrike and dale hihn like this

Sat 6/3/17

Bottled the English Porter, my first BIAB beer. The sample was really good. Very fresh taste, good flavor. I am glad I went with half chocolate half pale chocolate. I think it cut down on the bitterness. And the goldings is present, but not it is not over hopped. I am looking forward to this one and do not see the need for a long conditioning time. I think three weeks should be just fine.

Creeps McLane and hotrod3539 like this