Mr.Beer Community
Hoppytobrew

Home Grown Beer Labels

OK, the batch of Apple Brown Beery that I went all Mad Scientist on, Some may recall, I replaced all of the water in the recipe with Apple Juice. Original Gravity was 1.112, Just below the very bottom line on the Mr. Beer hydrometer.   It stalled out after a week at 1.021, so I added a little more Apple Juice and pinched a packet of EC-1118 Champagne Yeast.  After sitting another 2 1/2 weeks, It seemed like it stalled again at 1.007 so I just bottled it.  The bottles have now been sitting in the basement for a month and tonight I cracked open the first one.  It has a bit of a harsh aroma (smells like it could strip paint), but not a bad flavor, all be it very strong, but still Apple. Surprisingly it still managed to get a little carbonation, I didn't expect that.  So I was sitting on the couch with a comfortable buzz off just 1 bottle, I had an idea for a label, embracing the Mad Scientist theme. Grabbed an old meat grinder out of the kitchen, some apples out of the fridge. Found some shear pins for the snow blower in my tool box, an old pair of jumper cables, an old welding mask, a lab coat the wife had in the closet.  Some big ol' black rubber gloves under the sink.  Set up the camera, some gelled flashes and a white backdrop and started shooting. Found a cool background on a Windows Wall paper website and spent an hour messing with it in photoshop.

mad2.jpg

4 hours ago, walt_felix said:

OK, the batch of Apple Brown Beery that I went all Mad Scientist on, Some may recall, I replaced all of the water in the recipe with Apple Juice. Original Gravity was 1.112, Just below the very bottom line on the Mr. Beer hydrometer.   It stalled out after a week at 1.021, so I added a little more Apple Juice and pinched a packet of EC-1118 Champagne Yeast.  After sitting another 2 1/2 weeks, It seemed like it stalled again at 1.007 so I just bottled it.  The bottles have now been sitting in the basement for a month and tonight I cracked open the first one.  It has a bit of a harsh aroma (smells like it could strip paint), but not a bad flavor, all be it very strong, but still Apple. Surprisingly it still managed to get a little carbonation, I didn't expect that.  So I was sitting on the couch with a comfortable buzz off just 1 bottle, I had an idea for a label, embracing the Mad Scientist theme. Grabbed an old meat grinder out of the kitchen, some apples out of the fridge. Found some shear pins for the snow blower in my tool box, an old pair of jumper cables, an old welding mask, a lab coat the wife had in the closet.  Some big ol' black rubber gloves under the sink.  Set up the camera, some gelled flashes and a white backdrop and started shooting. Found a cool background on a Windows Wall paper website and spent an hour messing with it in photoshop.

mad2.jpg

Wow!  14% ABV!!  Hope you didn't wake up cuddling with the neighbor's Saint Bernard! ;)

It's clear you all have had some fun with this. I may have to dig in a bit. I've been very "just the facts, ma'am" with some small Avery labels. As a plus, they are easily removable and even pulled off some of the remaining original label that I fought with. They stand up to coolers, etc. and I can get at least a batch of fronts or backs (focused on ingredients and character) from a sheet. Maybe it's time I let the dogs run, so to speak. After all, my wife DID dub the next batch to bottle "Satan's @sscrack." Not a fan of boiling hops, is she?

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:14 AM, walt_felix said:

mad2.jpg

I like it..........:lol:.  Check out mine...Not as great as yours though.....wow...gonna have to come up with something.    Good one though for sure.

11 minutes ago, Steve-Oh said:

Cold crashing these two tomorrow. I'll be bottling them 3 days later on Monday. I'm gonna let the Red Cloud condition until 2-27 and the Velvet Elvis until 8-6. Found some removable labels on amazon I have been using. (Avery 5453) 

VelvetElvis.jpgRedCloud.jpg

those look really cool... I've been eyeballing the velvet Elvis recipe,

1 minute ago, Stroomer420 said:

I've been scanning the forum looking at ways to bring out the banana flavor and from what I can tell is using the wheat yeast 06 and fermenting in the 70s range is supposed to bring out the banana esters,,,

That's exactly right. The chemical responsible for the banana flavor from the yeast is isoamyl acetate. It is the same chemical in bananas that give them their flavor. This chemical is also an ester produced mainly by wheat yeasts and some Belgian yeasts. It becomes more prominent with higher temperatures, which will promote ester production.

4 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

That's exactly right. The chemical responsible for the banana flavor from the yeast is isoamyl acetate. It is the same chemical in bananas that give them their flavor. This chemical is also an ester produced mainly by wheat yeasts and some Belgian yeasts. It becomes more prominent with higher temperatures, which will promote ester production.

thank you MrJoshR,,, was reading and reading but needed some validation from the pros ?.....ok this thread can go back to being about labels now ?... I did post this in advance recipes and will report how this all works out for me there... ?