Mr.Beer Community

Last year I brewed the deluxe porter and while I enjoyed it I want to brew it again and go a little drier. I was thinking of adding 2 to 4 oz of light brown sugar, thoughts?

18 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Just add regular sugar, brown sugar can give some off taste from the molasses.  Regular sugar act to dry it out and not give any flavor changes.

I was thinking of brown sugar, because I seem to remember in other threads people saying that the molasses flavor works well with a darker beer like a Porter to Stout. 

Any thoughts on how much to add?

I have never tried it in a dark beer.  I have only added brown sugar to three different brews and all three had an aftertaste that I didn't like at all.  It may not have been the molasses but it may have been as well.  If I were to want to dry out a beer (I would rather have it sweeter) I would just add plain white sugar.  Just my opinion for what that is worth.

On a whim, I added a little brown sugar to a wheat beer the second day of primary to boost the yeast (S-33 that tends to get a little sluggish). It ended up really kick-starting the yeast and final attenuation was excellent. Just tried a sample yesterday at about 2 weeks in the bottle and the flavor is quite good and the boost in ABV and slight drying out seems to sit well with. I didn't use much, though - 3 or 4 ounces in a 2.5 gallon batch.

I could definitely see it working with a Porter. You should probably keep it to a minimum, though and use a brew calculator to predict the effect on ABV. Something like 1/4 of a cup would probably do about what you want. You might want to replace part of the LME with the sugar or maybe the boost in ABV from the extra fermentables will suit you.

24 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

I have never tried it in a dark beer.  I have only added brown sugar to three different brews and all three had an aftertaste that I didn't like at all.  It may not have been the molasses but it may have been as well.  If I were to want to dry out a beer (I would rather have it sweeter) I would just add plain white sugar.  Just my opinion for what that is worth.

Yes I think the molasses flavor tends to be one of those you like it or you don't without much in between. Personally I like it at least in baked goods which I why I'm think of trying it instead of plain white sugar.

Also about the sweetness vrs dryness. I like both types of beer. I recently made an Oatmeal Stout, I may call it a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout based on the tasting at bottling time. That had a nice bittersweet taste and came in around 6%, for this porter I'm looking to go the other direction I'd like to keep the ABV at 5% or lower and have a drier finish.

17 minutes ago, J A said:

On a whim, I added a little brown sugar to a wheat beer the second day of primary to boost the yeast (S-33 that tends to get a little sluggish). It ended up really kick-starting the yeast and final attenuation was excellent. Just tried a sample yesterday at about 2 weeks in the bottle and the flavor is quite good and the boost in ABV and slight drying out seems to sit well with. I didn't use much, though - 3 or 4 ounces in a 2.5 gallon batch.

I could definitely see it working with a Porter. You should probably keep it to a minimum, though and use a brew calculator to predict the effect on ABV. Something like 1/4 of a cup would probably do about what you want. You might want to replace part of the LME with the sugar or maybe the boost in ABV from the extra fermentables will suit you.

Yes I have been playing around in QBrew and am leaning to 4 ounces. I was also toying with the idea of adding a little bit of vanilla extract but not sure yet. 

5 minutes ago, brybry said:

I was also toying with the idea of adding a little bit of vanilla extract but not sure yet. 

That was my exact thinking on a Stout I made up with some "second runnings" of a big batch of steeping grains. In addition to the grain liquor with oats mashed in, I used a little DME and a lot of dark LME as well as some brown sugar. I started with the intention of adding vanilla at the end of fermentation, but after a little taste test at the end of primary, I've decided that it's probably going to be just about right as is.

I might change my mind, but I have a feeling that vanilla is one of those things you'd want to get just right. It might be prudent to stick to a very proven recipe for a vanilla stout or porter and see how that turns out before experimenting with it.