HoppySmile!

Baltic Porter

16 posts in this topic

Not yet.  I've had a can of this staring at me for awhile, but I've been working my way through some older HMEs first and even pinched the yeast to use in another brew.  Replacement yeast is on the way (should arrive today, in fact) but I've still got another beer or two to brew before I get to this.  I need to either start drinking my beer faster or begin giving bottles away to random strangers.

TonyKZ1 likes this

I started my Baltic on Jan. 6th.  Used S-23, and fermented at 55F.  I carbonated for a bit more than three weeks, and then put most in a mini-fridge.  I took a couple and put them in the regular fridge and sampled them this week.  I would say it hit the BJCP styling (http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1c), in particular, " Starts sweet but darker malt flavors quickly dominates and persists through finish."  I really like it so far.  I am cold lagering it for a few months, see how that cleans it up...  

I get now how it is different than a regular porter.  But quite nice nonetheless, and i'm sure i'll enjoy the whole batch!

MichaelL and HoppySmile! like this

theres only one review on the Baltic porter page, it's a one star, to me, all of mr. beer seasonals have been awesum! so I noe this one will be just the same!, i'm looking forward to trying this one when its ready!

Did you read the review?

"I bought this product 1 month ago but it didn't turn out as I only have the little keg I think the can they sent was for something bigger than the little keg I made 2 batches before with cans that came with the kit and the cans were only half the size. Shipping was also very expensive it tripped the price for a beer that didn't even work out . Hope you have better luck with it than I did"

This review will be removed because it's more of a general complaint rather than a review of the product. Not to mention all of the "No" votes under "Helpful?".

I don't think it counts. Besides, you were only looking at 1 version of the Baltic Porter, there's also the warm fermenting version: http://www.mrbeer.com/baltic-porter-2015-winter-seasonal. It has 2 reviews.

But as always, we encourage you guys to leave reviews when you can - even if they are negative. But the review section isn't the place for general complaints. We have a ticketing system for that.

Oh, and for the record, the guy who left that review is in Canada, hence the "expensive shipping".

brybry, HoppySmile! and Big Sarge like this

21 hours ago, MichaelL said:

Not yet.  I've had a can of this staring at me for awhile, but I've been working my way through some older HMEs first and even pinched the yeast to use in another brew.  Replacement yeast is on the way (should arrive today, in fact) but I've still got another beer or two to brew before I get to this.  I need to either start drinking my beer faster or begin giving bottles away to random strangers.

Although it truly sounds like a daunting task, I'd like to volunteer my services to help out a fellow home brewer. ;)

MichaelL and HoppySmile! like this

Sure!  Although I don't consider my fellow Forum members to be "random strangers," just come on by the house and I'll give you a bottle of ... something ... ^_^^_^^_^

Looks like a happy day in your future.  My batch of cold-fermented Baltic porter didn't last long enough to probably reach its true potential. I may have to steal back the ones sitting in my coworkers' fridge.  I'll leave him an IPA or a witbier instead. Its been there for months, taunting me.

I've not done the barrel thing yet.  I'm not a bourbon fan but a clean barrel would impart some oak or smoke to it, wouldn't it? Of course I'd have to wait even longer enjoy it.

HoppySmile! likes this

Hoppy, do you sanitize the barrel? Is it one time use only? I've always wondered this because the oak is porous, and has lots of little places for the nasty organisms that can ruin our beer. 

12 hours ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

Hoppy, do you sanitize the barrel? Is it one time use only? I've always wondered this because the oak is porous, and has lots of little places for the nasty organisms that can ruin our beer. 

From what I've read, and researched, yes there are little organisms that inhibit the inner realms of the barrel. I usually fill it with hot water 24 hrs before adding the beer for aging process. This serves two purposes; 1- it helps semi sterilizes the barrel before use ( dnt want to kill all the critters, they help ensure the flavor of the aging process ). 2- it helps with the sealing of liquid within the barrel. Now I usually a month prior to using the barrel fill it with hot water and let it set for a week to allow the staves to do their job by holding liquid. Then I dump it, and every week after that ( 3 weeks ), I added a 1/2 pint of bourbon to reinitiate the potential flavor and aroma again

MRB Josh R likes this

this is my second bourbon barrel aging. this time I didn't do a secondary fermentation in another carboy, instead I decided to let the barrel ferment an additional month. If you sanitize the barrel you can kill off the organisms that help make the flavor and aroma intensity. I purchased this barrel from Homebrewing.com. On their website is a down loadable PDF file about the caring and preparation of the barrel for beer aging.

MRB Josh R likes this

On 11/14/2016 at 7:01 PM, Ron Howard Dawson said:

As Hoppy explained, treating the beer with boiling water, then bourbon will kill any organisms. Though the chances of bacteria will be minimal if it was a recently used bourbon barrel. For wine barrels, the same process is used. Wine is at least 10% alcohol, which is enough to kill off any bacteria. However, if the barrel is inoculated with lacto-bacillus, then you're not getting it out. But if you're brewing a barrel-aged sour, then you will want this bacteria in there.

Some barrels you can use more than once, but the flavors created by the barrel will weaken with each use.

HoppySmile! likes this

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, Eric's Latest Mistake said:

My batch of cold-fermented Baltic porter didn't last long enough to probably reach its true potential

my first Baltic Porter, I too wiped it out before its true potential. My next door neighbor still has a half gallon growler unopened of my first barrel aged porter, and as eagerly I wait for this to do its magic in about 3 to 4 months, I think about his growler... he offered to give it back, but I insisted that I gave it as a gift. now I wish I never said that! LOL!