Mr.Beer Community
MRB Josh R

Diastatic Power - What is it?

So if I want to tweak my High Peak IPA using less (or no) wheat DME, I could substitute flaked wheat 1:1 with pale 2 row malt? I originally used the wheat DME to add some body and a little flavor but my finished product turned out very-very hazy. To be expected since that is what wheat does. That's why I'm thinking less wheat DME but, after reading this post, I'm wondering if a partial mash of 8oz flaked wheat and 8oz 2 row malt would suffice. Could I also toss in 4oz Carapils without adding more 2 row malt?

4 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

So if I want to tweak my High Peak IPA using less (or no) wheat DME, I could substitute flaked wheat 1:1 with pale 2 row malt? I originally used the wheat DME to add some body and a little flavor but my finished product turned out very-very hazy. To be expected since that is what wheat does. That's why I'm thinking less wheat DME but, after reading this post, I'm wondering if a partial mash of 8oz flaked wheat and 8oz 2 row malt would suffice. Could I also toss in 4oz Carapils without adding more 2 row malt?

As I said above: While malts like Crystal, Carapils, and most dark malts may not need conversion since they don't really have starchy interiors due to the way they were kilned, other malts, such as flaked malts MUST be mashed with a grain that has a moderate to high DP for proper conversion.

Yes, you can use flaked wheat and 2-row, but this won't prevent haze. In fact, you're more likely to get haze by using grains rather than DME. It also won't affect your ABV like DME will. Keep in mind that wheat DME is 50% barley and 50% wheat. Flaked wheat will need 2-row for conversion, but malted white or red wheat doesn't.

47 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

As I said above: While malts like Crystal, Carapils, and most dark malts may not need conversion since they don't really have starchy interiors due to the way they were kilned, other malts, such as flaked malts MUST be mashed with a grain that has a moderate to high DP for proper conversion.

Yes, you can use flaked wheat and 2-row, but this won't prevent haze. In fact, you're more likely to get haze by using grains rather than DME. It also won't affect your ABV like DME will. Keep in mind that wheat DME is 50% barley and 50% wheat. Flaked wheat will need 2-row for conversion, but malted white or red wheat doesn't.

I've got some more reading to do, a lot actually. While I like the taste of my finished product with the wheat addition I might research partial mash with the same LME and hop schedule. 

I really want my High Peak IPA to be my go to brew as I'm a hop head at heart. My first batch was good but I want to try a tweak or two to make it perfect. My first tweak is focusing on the wheat addition and adequate substitutions. I'm also going to invest in a gallon fermenter so I can start small and tweak as needed. 

Edit: Just to be clear I'm definitely chasing flavor and aroma and dying care if ABV drops. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Is the haze mentioned above simply that "milky" look you usually get from weizens?  The way it's referenced makes it sound like "Damn woman!  You gave me the haze!"

Yes, talking the wheat haze. While I know any wheat addition will give the beer a hazy look, I might have over done it with a pound of wheat DME. 

14 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

Yes, talking the wheat haze. While I know any wheat addition will give the beer a hazy look, I might have over done it with a pound of wheat DME. 

Sabre, I made a dunkelweizen last weekend and it is cloudy (hazy) as hell.  I don't think it called for any wheat dme, but it had a lot of wheat lme.  

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

actually he's got a soft side to him, if he can tolerate my non sense then he's alright in my book, just as long as he doesn't yell at me, that's y I drink so much....lol

I kinda picture Rick reading your posts and just shaking his head.  Hahaha!