Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Stroomer420

Recipe advice thoughts

after private messaging mr beer for help with a recipe i was told never to private message them with recipe help ,thats what the forums are for,,, okie dokie then....so heres my idea for a honey orange ale,,,,im gonna use 1 can of CAL 1 pale LME, 1 can manarin oranges in lite syrup,, 2 ounce of 2 row,,2 ounces 0f carapils,, 2 ounces of caramel 15 ,, 1 ounce of honey maly and 1 ounce of flaked corn,       ,,, gonna do 30 min steep of grains at 160,,, after 30 mins bring to boil then flame out add HME LME AND i have an ounce of zythos hops to add at flame out maybe some honey to dry out the beer half a cup......... so thats my idea any commuity help will be most appreciated... thanks all........love my mr beer :)

For the record, I didn't say to never message me for help. I said I would prefer it if questions like these were posed on the forums so others can benefit from the solutions.

You're not going to get any flavor from the canned oranges. The syrup and sugars will be fermented out leaving nothing behind, but acidity. Orange flavored beers are usually flavored by the zest of the orange, or by orange flavored extract. If adding honey malt, you may want to omit the caramel malt. Or at least cut it back to .5-1 oz because the honey malt is very sweet and the caramel malt will only enhance that sweetness. If that's your thing, though, go for it. I would also omit the flaked corn. There's no reason for it if you're adding body with carapils. The purpose of flaked corn is to lighten the beer's body without affecting the ABV. It will add a slight bit of creaminess, but so will the carapils.

With a few minor tweaks, this could be a good recipe.