Mr.Beer Community
I_Luv_Beer

My First Mr. Beer brew taste like it's carbinated

After a year or 2 of having the Mr. Beer kit I finally got around to making beer with it.

I feel very confident I followed the process well enough but I am not satisfied with the results.

My beer taste almost like a cider kind of carbonated. I used the sugar tablets so I don't think I used too much.

Did the ingredients in the kit get old?

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks

38 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Sugar tablets don'the impact taste.

What was the date on the can? I do not have the can but one of the 3 that came with the kit has a best before 26 Jun 2015

How long did you ferment?  At what temp? 3 weeks. I'm not sure about the temperature. I stored the barrel on the top shelf of my bedroom closet. I live in San Diego so it does not get too cold and it was not that hot.

How long did you bottle condition? 2 weeks and a week in a half in the fridge.

45 minutes ago, NwMaltHead said:

Welcome to the community, and don't worry, you're beers will get better! My first 3, cidery and only slightly better every time. But with patience and sanitizer on my side, my 4th (California Dreamin) was pretty damn good. 

I hope Mr. Beer kit is my stepping stone to brewing from scratch. Hopefully my second batch which is a couple of weeks away from bottling is better. It's the IPA and I love IPA's.

Patience is indeed the key.  I found that to be the hardest part when I started my first few batches.  I would check on the LBK a gazillion times a day, and then be itching to get into the bottles once carbonated.  But I learned to leave the beer to do its thing.  Patience pays off :)

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:04 PM, NwMaltHead said:

Yeah I'm ordering my first partial mash recipe. Come April I'm buying two carboys to start 5 gal recipes. 

I originally took my first step from the LBK's and bought two 8 gallon brewing buckets, they were on sale at the time from Midwest, never used them till a few weeks ago when all my other fermenters were being used. I got to say, they're a lot easier to handle, carry, clean and pour wort in and out. I love my plastic carboys because super light weight, and love the wide mouth carboys because of their wider opening. I had a 6 gal. glass carboy that slipped out of my hand in the bath tub and shattered, the carboy was a little awkward to handle wet if you ask me. I don't know why I never tried the buckets first? just thot to pass that experience along to you, when you look into upgrading.

3 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I originally took my first step from the LBK's and bought two 8 gallon brewing buckets, they were on sale at the time from Midwest, never used them till a few weeks ago when all my other fermenters were being used. I got to say, they're a lot easier to handle, carry, clean and pour wort in and out. I love my plastic carboys because super light weight, and love the wide mouth carboys because of their wider opening. I had a 6 gal. glass carboy that slipped out of my hand in the bath tub and shattered, the carboy was a little awkward to handle wet if you ask me. I don't know why I never tried the buckets first? just thot to pass that experience along to you, when you look into upgrading.

Being a total rookie I appreciate any info and good timing on the info. I'm going to another beer making class tomorrow so I want my next batch to be better.