Putting together a recipe for a session Ale. Here's what I got:

American Ale

LME Smooth

Crystal 40- 3oz

Carapils 2oz

Liberty pellets

Thoughts, tips or suggestions?

MrWhy likes this

I don't see any reason this would not be worth trying!

I did an American Ale with a couple LMEs....booster....some Saaz...and the T-58.

Now - I have no idea how this turned out because it is still conditioning....

NwMaltHead likes this

I'm still a real newb, but my next batch was going to be  a CAL HME and an American ale HME.

11 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I did an American Ale with a couple LMEs....booster....some Saaz...and the T-58.

Now - I have no idea how this turned out because it is still conditioning....

My question is why did you include the booster with that much extract in a 2.13 gallon recipe? Chase flavor, not ABV. With 3 extracts in the LBK, the booster won't add anything perceptible to the beer.

RickBeer and NwMaltHead like this

2 hours ago, scouterbill said:

My question is why did you include the booster with that much extract in a 2.13 gallon recipe? Chase flavor, not ABV. With 3 extracts in the LBK, the booster won't add anything perceptible to the beer.

It was in my younger days when I knew not better and knew not what I chased.....

scouterbill and NwMaltHead like this

I add Booster b/c I'm a stubborn ass who hates to waste things.  I have about 6 of them lying around and I'll be damned if I'm going to throw them away.  If I'm brewing something that I know isn't my "cup of tea", but other people will like it, I boost the hell out of it!  What's the worst that can happen?  They don't like it and stop bothering me for my beer or maybe they get so wasted on it that they wake up with a killer hangover and swear off the booze for good!  Either way... MORE BEER FOR ME!  #WINNING!  ;)

On 3/13/2016 at 9:47 PM, Broox said:

I'm still a real newb, but my next batch was going to be  a CAL HME and an American ale HME.

Me too. Bought the American Ale on a 2 for 1 special. Just finished a batch of American Ale Sunday, and want to experiment with the 2nd batch. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Creeps McLane likes this