Adam10

Angry Bovine or Sticky Wicket?

12 posts in this topic

Trying to figure out my next brew. Any opinions? I am kinda leaning towards the Sticky Wicket because I liked doing the PM Santa Rita Pale Ale. I am thinking about possibly trying to figure out a way to do the Angry Bovine as a PM. just because the Angry Bovine recipe looks more interesting to me. Maybe use the grains from Sticky Wicket in place of the LMEs in the Bovine. But I would love to hear the opinions of others on this. Thanks

Josh's rec is to steep 2oz chocolate malt and 2oz Crystal 60.

Since there is a sale right now, I ordered an Angry Bovine along with those grains.

Now - I am not an expert by any means, so for all I know adding oats might be the greatest idea ever...or it might cause everything to taste like a monkey's butt......or it might be somewhere in the middle!

Adam10 likes this

Yeah the sales usually dictate my brew sessions. Thanks for the advice. I am curious about what the oats would do. 

32 minutes ago, Adam10 said:

Yeah the sales usually dictate my brew sessions. Thanks for the advice. I am curious about what the oats would do. 

Again - I am not an expert and you probably already know this - but Josh and others have written that when you use oats, you need to use another grain or something like that. Here is where he wrote a bit about this.

1 hour ago, Adam10 said:

Are you going to use both LMEs in the Bovine with grains?

Yes. My understanding from what I've read is that for this, grains are for flavor, body, color, etc. They make your beer taste better. They are not for "wort", ABV, etc. That is what the HME and LME is for. This is not all grain brewing.  The grains are enhancements, not substitutes.

Adam10, RickBeer and MRB Josh R like this

I bottled Angry Bovine Milk Stout about 6 weeks using nibs and lactose sugar.  Sample a couple of bottles at the 4 week mark and the chocolate flavor hadn't really come out yet.  I'll be sampling another bottle or two this weekend but they said 2-3 months for the flavors to peak.  That aside, it's already an enjoyable stout and has gotten very good review from a couple of friends.  So my recommendation would be to do the Angry Bovine.

Brewed Angry Bovine with steeping grains tonight. I didn't end up ordering it when I started this post and put it off for a while. I am not sure if this will screw it up or not and I didn't notice until it was to late but I used Caramel 60 instead of Crystal 60. I figured it was my mistake when I ordered but checked the packing list and it says Crystal 60. I guess if it comes out good I have the Mr B packer to thank. Anyone have any idea what this will do to the final product?