Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Grifoni24

Adding Hops at different times

21 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Carefully Josh.  Hoppy uses terpenes to clean his paint brushes, don't tell him he can consume it...

which brings me to a story when I was 2 years old. my parents told me I drank a frozen orange juice can of paint thinner thinking it was orange juice. my uncle would soak his paint brushes in an old frozen orange juice can and store it upon the top of an upright freezer in the garage. my aunt, uncle and parents to this day cannot figure out how I climbed up to the top of that freezer to get to that can of "orange juice"? needless to say, I had my stomach pumped out at the hospital that day. thank God I dnt remember any of that day!!  remind around xmas time, I got another story of ill ingestion during the holidays. and when I hear these stories i'm amzed how i'm still alive........Thank You Mr. Beer!!! I can finally ingest something that won't kill me today!!!

Has anyone dry hopped with as little as 0.25 oz of hops, particularly in a lager? I'm looking to add some Hallertauer Mittlefreu to my Helles Bock seasonal for a subtle aroma. I don't want to waste a quarter ounce unnecessarily, but also don't want a half ounce to overpower the beer. I'll add it during week three of fermentation. 

On 2/22/2017 at 6:40 AM, Big Sarge said:

Has anyone dry hopped with as little as 0.25 oz of hops, particularly in a lager? I'm looking to add some Hallertauer Mittlefreu to my Helles Bock seasonal for a subtle aroma. I don't want to waste a quarter ounce unnecessarily, but also don't want a half ounce to overpower the beer. I'll add it during week three of fermentation. 

Although I find it sinful to use that small amount of hops for any purpose ;)  I'll be using a 1/2oz of Cascade & a 1/2oz of Centennial to dry hop my LBK's Wheat IPA.  I am doing this 4 days before bottling.  

41 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Although I find it sinful to use that small amount of hops for any purpose ;)  I'll be using a 1/2oz of Cascade & a 1/2oz of Centennial to dry hop my LBK's Wheat IPA.  I am doing this 4 days before bottling.  

It does seem a little light, but I also don't want to take away from the backbone of the lager. I also don't want it to be unnoticeable either. I'll likely go with 0.5 oz, unless someone convinces me different. 

As far as IPAs, you should definitely dry hop the snot out of them!

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

It does seem a little light, but I also don't want to take away from the backbone of the lager. I also don't want it to be unnoticeable either. I'll likely go with 0.5 oz, unless someone convinces me different. 

As far as IPAs, you should definitely dry hop the snot out of them!

I dont think the aroma would disturb the malt backbone. Maybe if they were flavor hop additions. I know smell aids taste but you i cant see it effecting it that much.

ps. Is this a true lager? Cuz any dry hop should be done at the DR or when the beer is at its warmest. Thats my opinion

41 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I dont think the aroma would disturb the malt backbone. Maybe if they were flavor hop additions. I know smell aids taste but you i cant see it effecting it that much.

ps. Is this a true lager? Cuz any dry hop should be done at the DR or when the beer is at its warmest. Thats my opinion

Thanks for your advice, Creeps. I agree about the whole smell/taste thing. It is currently in week one of lagering at ~55 degrees and I planned on dropping the hops during week three. I like the idea of doing it during the three-day D-rest, which will mean a shorter time with 0.5 oz and therefore not being too forward. 

@Big Sarge

One thing as well - aroma hops are the first thing to fade....both in conditioning as well as on bottle opening. So if you feel like you over did it a bit, you can always give it a little longer to condition out, as well as after opening let the bottle sit for an extra bit.

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Big Sarge said:

I use .25 to .50 on all my lagers, (more for my summer brews). Either Saaz or German Northern Brewers. I like the aromas provided and they remind me of the local beers of my youth.