Mr.Beer Community
WillR

First batch was crap

Also, I suspect you fermented too warm.

I'm surprised that in the time you've been on the forum you haven't read about 3-4.  Jumping in and making 3 batches all at once, without doing some reading and seeing how the first batch comes out, is risky.  I would recommend you slow down, and during the wait time read the forums.

Is this the batch?

"I am making a batch of CAL that expired about a year and a half ago.  I bought new yeast and put that in but for S and giggles I threw the old packet of yeast in as well. "

You've got a lot of stuff going on there. Couple all of that with the way too short conditioning and I think you've found your answer. Take a look at Rick Beer's signature. Read all of those links, really. Patience. I've been waiting 5 weeks, two more to go!

Trust me I have read a lot and know all about the 3-4 rule.  However, I would have thought it would have tasted a little more like beer than Apple cider.  

Between this site, another homebrew site and the nice guys at my local home brewing supply store a lack of info is not my issue.

Oh and Never asked if the CAL batch was the expired one I have going also - No it is not.  This kit was brand new (it came with the original kit).

I will let it set and condition longer and see if it moves from apple cider to beer.

1 minute ago, WillR said:

Oh and Never asked if the CAL batch was the expired one I have going also - No it is not.  This kit was brand new (it came with the original kit).

I will let it set and condition longer and see if it moves from apple cider to beer.

I don't think many people have have much luck with the CAL. It doesn't have enough flavor to mask the apple cider taste. I've brewed it three times now and have had a slight off flavor to all three. Though my last one was quite good and very drinkable, you can still taste it. 

Do you know the temp of your wort when you pitched your yeast? With pitching and fermenting I always error on the side of too cold. I pitch at 64 and ferment at 64. It's worked really well for me

That is a very good question.  This was my first batch.  Before I knew about the great stick on thermometers.  I followed the instructions and used filtered refrigerated water so I don't think it was to hot but not sure.

I hate to be the bad apple in the bunch, but I agree with the OP. The CAL taste like crap plain and simple. The OLD Mr Beer American Blonde Ale was much better IMO. No Im not new, did it correct. I been brewing since 2009.

My mother in law bought me a refill pack so I figured what the heck, lets give the new mr beer a go and see. Uhhh not so sure yet. Think Ill stick with recipes and BIAB method from my local LHBS.

Take care and happy brewing guys!

23 hours ago, WillR said:

I just opened a bottle aged for 10 days of CAL and it taste like crap.  Taste more like Apple cider than beer.

OK so what did I do wrong?

Well....like it's been pointed out, you can't judge the beer until it is ready to be judged. This beer is just not ready!

But light beers like the CAL are tough. There just is not enough there to mask off flavors....a think stout...a nice amber....a lot going on there. A CAL....not so much happening. Everything is going to have to be dialed right in. 

I've a CAL in the fermenter....with so many hops in it I'm hoping any off flavors won't be noticed.

My first two brews we're cal,and American lager,. My Cal turned out good,but Mr why is right there's not much to the beer, I mainly use it for a base or a booster if you will, rather than sugar or the booster packs, the wife likes it plain but what does she know, she drinks micholobe ultra .....Eeeeeeeewww!!!!!

37 minutes ago, Bighead beer said:

My first two brews we're cal,and American lager,. My Cal turned out good,but Mr why is right there's not much to the beer, I mainly use it for a base or a booster if you will, rather than sugar or the booster packs, the wife likes it plain but what does she know, she drinks micholobe ultra .....Eeeeeeeewww!!!!!

Mich Ultra...  the Poland Springs of beer! ;)

Priming sugar adds 0 flavor to a batch. Only carbonation. There is no difference between table sugar and carbonation drops other than one is granulated and the other is compressed. The form the sugar comes in has no affect on fermentability or flavor.

let it condition another week, put one bottle in the fridge for a few days then try one to compare, if still cidery, go another week conditioning, etc. my first brew was a diablo, and to my surprise it turned out pretty good, it did have a slight green apple taste after 3 weeks conditioning, bit I let it go another 3 weeks and it was great!! dnt give up, make one small investment and buy maybe a craft beer or seasonal, or any other refill besides the CAL. I only use CAL when using a recipe that requires it, or substituting an extra HME for a 5 gallon extract recipe to be a true 5 gallons in volume and taste

Since I was not overly impressed with CAL (it was your typical weak tasting light beer) I was not expecting a lot from the Cowgirl Honey Light.  But last night I tasted my first "Cowgirl Honey Light" and it was the most amazing beer I've made to date! I thought my St. Patrick's Stout was good but this one takes the prize. I will definitely be brewing this one again. It poured to a thick head and the head retention was long. It was smooth with a light malty flavor and a slight hoppy finish. IMPRESSIVE BEER!