Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neverbrewedadarnthing

What to do with two-bottle Cider refill

8 posts in this topic

I bought one of the clearance cider kits from the MRB website. It came with one each of the two bottle Pear and two bottle Apple refills. Now that I've picked up a couple more of the three bottle cider refills, I'm wondering what would be best use of the two bottle kit.

Is two bottles enough for the Apple Brown Beery, or does that need three? 

I've seen a recommendation to substitute pure pasteurized Apple juice for a gallon of water to sweeten it. Is that for the two bottle or three bottle?

What about pasteurized cider instead of Apple juice? 

Could you use the juice substitution in the Apple Brown Beery?

Other ideas? 

I did the apple brown beery and it came with three cider refills..and at the time was told you can use the gallon of juice ,,, so I'd go with three and the juice,,, I didn't use the juice and drank one after only three weeks in the bottle,,still needed time but was pretty good,,, definitely stay at home hide the keys kinda beer... ?

Thanks for the juice in the ABB recipe info.

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to use up the two-bottle kit? I'd rather supplement it with something than have it turn out bad.

I haven't done the Hard Apple Cider, but I've brewed up plenty of the Hard Pear.  I would imagine that the recipes are pretty interchangeable.  Here's what I've done so far:

Spiced Hard Pear Cider-- HPC, CAL, 1 booster, 1/2 cup of spiced sugar (replaces 1/3 of the 1.5cups of sugar), 5oz of lactose

Hard Ginger Pear Cider--HPC, 2oz ginger extract, 2 pale LME, 4oz of lactose, 1 booster

Hard Pumpkin Pear Cider--HPC, 15oz of caramelized pumpkin puree, 4oz of lactose, 1/2 cup of spiced sugar (see above), 2 pale LME

Hopped Hard Pear Cider--HPC, 2 pale LME, .5oz of Centennial Hops at 12mins, .5oz of Centennial Hops added at 1wk, 4oz of lactose

Hard Cherry Pear Cider--HPC, 2 pale LME, 4oz of lactose, 2oz Brewer's Best Cherry Extract

All of these were done with the Mr. Beer 2 bottle Hard Pear Cider recipe.

Just now, Stroomer420 said:

that's awesome thanks for the info Anthony I had to copy it on my phone I know someone who would probably like every one of those

You got it, Stroom!  Enjoy!!

Cool, I bookmarked this.  Just bottled an ABB and have 2 cider kits waiting in the wings.  The ABB I went mad scientist with and did all apple juice instead of water.  I know that was not what recommended, only a gallon, but went for it anyhow.  It stalled at about 12.5% and to be honest, didn't taste bad although strong.  The smell however reminded me some something I've used to strip paint and rust off an old car fender.  Since it was already iffy, I pinched some 111 wine yeast and let it sit for a few more weeks.  It got a little above 13% and stalled again.  But both the order and taste did improve.  It's almost like a light Apple Brandy now and both the wife and I kind of like it.  I don't think it's going to carbonate but we'll see if it smooths out some.