Bach's Brews

Ideas on Bourbon Barrel Stout

35 posts in this topic

I've tasted lots of different Bourbon Barrel beers in my life and would love to make one myself.  I've read where someone used the Shameless Stout pack and added the necessary oak chips and whiskey after the 1 week mark of fermentation.   I know oak chips are strong and plan to soak in water first to ease the oaky taste, then soak in whiskey for 48-72 hours before I would put them into the LBK.  Any seasoned vets have suggestions on how to make this work?  There's no real recipes for this on Mr. Beer that I can find, but am open to ideas!

dale hihn and HoppySmile! like this

HoppySmile is brewing one right now.  I would give him some time and he'll have some advice for you.  This is also on my "dream list".  I've been researching this for a few months now and I've come to 2 conclusions:

1. It's going to be expensive to brew, IF you do it right.

2. I'm nowhere near the level of expertise (yet) that it requires to make this. 

**To do this the RIGHT way--It takes about a year from brew to consume!!

GBear379 and HoppySmile! like this

21 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

HoppySmile is brewing one right now.  I would give him some time and he'll have some advice for you.  This is also on my "dream list".  I've been researching this for a few months now and I've come to 2 conclusions:

1. It's going to be expensive to brew, IF you do it right.

2. I'm nowhere near the level of expertise (yet) that it requires to make this. 

**To do this the RIGHT way--It takes about a year from brew to consume!!

If you do it like @HoppySmile! you'll really be breaking the bank. His standard 5 gallon brews usually include 5 packs of booster! :lol:

HoppySmile! likes this

3 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

If you do it like @HoppySmile! you'll really be breaking the bank. His standard 5 gallon brews usually include 5 packs of booster! :lol:

Haha...  I know he went all out on that one.  Bought the barrel and all!

16 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Haha...  I know he went all out on that one.  Bought the barrel and all!

Good big or go home, hoppy style...or is it HoppySmile?

HoppySmile! likes this

48 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:26 PM, J A said:

this answer box is messing up on me, I just woke up have homebrew hangover, burnt chicken on the stove, other than that I remember everything else!!  well you can brew one using like Big Sarge was sayin with whiskey soaked oak chips, I've done a bourbon oak vanilla cherry porter last summer, and when it was done all you could taste was the bourbon oak! plus when I added my chips I threw them straight into the wort on the 2 nd week of fermentation, and let the porter ferment for 4 weeks in the LBK. Because the whiskey chips are so strong, I recommend maybe only adding 6-10 chips max. and if u pour remaining whiskey oak juices into the wort, which I did too, I recommend adding only about 5 pieces of chips

So, is there a way to use the LBK to brew this?  Could I use the Shameless Stout and add oak chips and bourbon after week 1 of fermentation?  I could also rack it to another LBK THEN add the oak chips and bourbon. Thoughts?????

4 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:
On 4/6/2016 at 2:26 PM, J A said:

this answer box is messing up on me,

Looks like you quoted me when I didn't say anything at all...Hey! Makes me sound smarter that way! :lol:

HoppySmile! likes this

I've noticed that if you try to back out of quoting someone, and you're using your cell, it won't let you.  I accidentally hit quote in one of the threads 2mths ago and it still wants me to quote it when I go there! 

HoppySmile! and J A like this

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

I've noticed that if you try to back out of quoting someone, and you're using your cell, it won't let you.  I accidentally hit quote in one of the threads 2mths ago and it still wants me to quote it when I go there! 

I believe if you put the cursor in the blank space below the quote box then backspace the heck out of it, you'll delete it. I pretty much access the forums on my phone explicitly, so I'm not sure if it works on a computer. 

AnthonyC likes this

when I poured the whiskey oak chips into the LBK, I put maybe 20 pieces!!! when I only needed maybe 6 or 8 pieces.

7 hours ago, J A said:

i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact i'm in Oklahoma, and JA is in Texas is why this quote box doesn't want to operate properly, maybe the forcefield at the border is blocking it I dunno??

J A likes this

32 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact i'm in Oklahoma, and JA is in Texas is why this quote box doesn't want to operate properly, maybe the forcefield at the border is blocking it I dunno??

All I can say is thank God for the Red River! :lol:

HoppySmile! likes this

13 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

So, is there a way to use the LBK to brew this?  Could I use the Shameless Stout and add oak chips and bourbon after week 1 of fermentation?  I could also rack it to another LBK THEN add the oak chips and bourbon. Thoughts?????

I recently made a "Whiskey Barrel Porter," in which I used two cans of American Porter HME.  After 1 week of fermentation I added some Jack Daniels wood chips (actual pieces of barrels used to age Jack Daniels whiskey, sold for use in BBQing).  I soaked the chips in water, put them in a muslin bag, and dropped them in the LBK after the first week of fermentation.  The result was quite good, with a subtle flavor that accents the heartiness of the Porter very nicely.

6 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

I believe if you put the cursor in the blank space below the quote box then backspace the heck out of it, you'll delete it. I pretty much access the forums on my phone explicitly, so I'm not sure if it works on a computer. 

Havta try that b/c it can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.  Thanks, Sarge.

Big Sarge likes this

23 minutes ago, MichaelL said:

I recently made a "Whiskey Barrel Porter," in which I used two cans of American Porter HME.  After 1 week of fermentation I added some Jack Daniels wood chips (actual pieces of barrels used to age Jack Daniels whiskey, sold for use in BBQing).  I soaked the chips in water, put them in a muslin bag, and dropped them in the LBK after the first week of fermentation.  The result was quite good, with a subtle flavor that accents the heartiness of the Porter very nicely.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to use the Shameless Stout kit and add some oak chips and bourbon after 1st week of fermentation and see what happens.

MichaelL and HoppySmile! like this

I just made Heavy McGhee with oak chip soaked in Makers Mark. I made my own oak chips and toasted them in the oven, since I have a shop in the back. I made a baseball size  muslin sack and put it in a mason jar and filled with Bourbon. Let it set two weeks and pulled it out and let drain off. Threw it in on the last week in fermenter. Bottled and let condition for two months. My wife and I could not believe how awesome it turned out.

The ABV for the Shameless Stout says 5.5% and that's WITH a booster and LME pack.  If I added, let's say 10 oz of bourbon and the oak chips in, how much would that up the ABV?  Any other ideas on how to up it a bit more?  Adding another can of St. Pats?

On 4/15/2016 at 1:40 PM, Bach's Brews said:

The ABV for the Shameless Stout says 5.5% and that's WITH a booster and LME pack.  If I added, let's say 10 oz of bourbon and the oak chips in, how much would that up the ABV?  Any other ideas on how to up it a bit more?  Adding another can of St. Pats?

Any ideas ladies n gents?

That would make one dark and delicious beer!  If you do brew this, make sure to let it condition at least two months before drinking.  My "Mad Scientist" Imperial Stout used 2 cans of St. Pats as well as one pound of DME and a cup of dark brown sugar, and while it was really good after four weeks' conditioning time I know it'll be even better later.  And, of course, keep us posted on the progress of this beer however you decide to make it.

D Kristof and Bach's Brews like this

My Uncle is brewing a 5 gallon bourbon barrel porter with Four Roses small batch bourbon. I mentioned I'm itching to try one myself. He suggested using oak cubes instead of chips because the chips have a lot of surface area and will over power the beer. If your doing a two gallon Mr Beer kit an ounce of cubes soaked in 8oz whiskey (about two to three weeks) should be fine. He likes using the Hungarian cubes as their milder than the American ones. He also suggested a three or four week secondary to let the cubes do their job in the brew. Again if your doing a two gallon kit av two week secondary should be fine. 

Another suggestion would be instead of adding two cans of HME try a partial mash recipe. It's not that much harder, just research brew in a bag on YouTube. The grains are cheap and will add another layer to the finished beer. 

3 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

My Uncle is brewing a 5 gallon bourbon barrel porter with Four Roses small batch bourbon. I mentioned I'm itching to try one myself. He suggested using oak cubes instead of chips because the chips have a lot of surface area and will over power the beer. If your doing a two gallon Mr Beer kit an ounce of cubes soaked in 8oz whiskey (about two to three weeks) should be fine. He likes using the Hungarian cubes as their milder than the American ones. He also suggested a three or four week secondary to let the cubes do their job in the brew. Again if your doing a two gallon kit av two week secondary should be fine. 

Another suggestion would be instead of adding two cans of HME try a partial mash recipe. It's not that much harder, just research brew in a bag on YouTube. The grains are cheap and will add another layer to the finished beer. 

Yeah, I'm using oak chips.  A little less than 1/2 ounce due to them being pretty potent.  I'm also soaking them in water first so it eats up some of the strong oaky taste, then I'll be putting them in 8-10oz of Maker's Mark after 1 week fermentation.  I don't plan to do a secondary, but will let it ferment a total of 3 weeks and condition for a long time. Thanks for the input though!

sabres032 likes this

Thanks for "liking" this post @dale hihn.  My review after it's aged for 7 months in bottles is......TERRIFIC!  It definitely has a bourbon taste to it, which I love.  It has a sweetness to it, but not too sweet, and definitely smooth.  A beer you can enjoy and sip.  I'm proud for my first round.  I already know what I'm going to do different and I'll be making this a 5 gallon batch.  Should be ready for Christmas 2017.

Shrike, Bonsai & Brew, AZNHB and 1 other like this