Mr.Beer Community
jim_NA_LA?

The Grainfather

Any experience with The Grainfather?

I'm hoping to retain the1 gal Mr. Beer fermenters while trying BIAB recipes beyond the extracts that Mr. Beer offers.

It's all about minimizing the amount of weight I have to move.

Beating the Mr. Beer extract price to make case price equivalent to mass market beer would be cool too.

I really really came close to the purchase of the grainfather, just didn't like the fact it was an 8 gallon producer, and with all grains involved probably would have yielded a maximum of maybe 6 gallons?? it's nice to have a brew machine that can brew in doors too! maybe if they come out with a 10 gallon grain bill capacity I would consider.

Just now, HoppySmile! said:

I really really came close to the purchase of the grainfather, just didn't like the fact it was an 8 gallon producer, and with all grains involved probably would have yielded a maximum of maybe 6 gallons?? it's nice to have a brew machine that can brew in doors too! maybe if they come out with a 10 gallon grain bill capacity I would consider.

We have a 15 gallon kettle we bought in case we ever wanted to bump up to a 10 gallon batch. We made maybe two 5 gallon batches before we realized that 10 gallon batches are just plain smart. The water takes a bit longer to boil but other than that it takes about the same time. 

now when I get everything the way I want to start the all grain experience, i'll start out with a 5 gal grain I got from northern brewer, for one, I've got 3 of the all grain deal from last year, two it'll be my first attempt with A.G., and third it'll allow me to freak out my neighbors as I brew in the driveway and wearing my Halloween wizards costume!!!