Mr.Beer Community
sabres032

Bourbon barrel oak stout - all grain

In my attempt to create an all grain recipe I came up with this Bourbon barrel oak stout. This will be an all grain beer mashed at 155 for 60 minutes with a batch sparge at 170. Before I dive head first into brewing this does the grain bill look right? What isn't picture is one ounce Hungarian oak cube soaked in bourbon for eight weeks. 

Screenshot_20160425-232155.png

Lol, I'm not a stout expert but I did look this over and I'll say a few words. Take them for what they're worth. 

Isn't EKG or fuggles a typical stout hop? You're using hops I've only used for an amber previously.

i like your hops schedule but again I think it doesn't follow the typical recipe maybe??? I've never looked one up but I noticed a lot of malty beers skip the flavor hop addition. I would throw hops in whenever I felt like it... But like I said in my journeys trying to find a simple 20 min boil recipe I've noticed some things.

but honestly... It took me awhile when you first posted that to find anything I would change. Quite honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. My motto is "dream it, then brew it". I hate guidelines, I hate styles, I hate anything that says your beer can't have that, it must have this. My beer can be whatever I want otherwise I'd be at the liquor store buying beers. Know what I'm saying???

with the barrel aging i'm doing now, I added 4 oz of smoked cherry wood malt to 3 cans of WDA a 5 gallon batch and after about a month and a half I tried a small sample and absolutely no trace of smoked cherry wood flavor. how many oak chips are you considering to add?

10 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Lol, I'm not a stout expert but I did look this over and I'll say a few words. Take them for what they're worth. 

Isn't EKG or fuggles a typical stout hop? You're using hops I've only used for an amber previously.

i like your hops schedule but again I think it doesn't follow the typical recipe maybe??? I've never looked one up but I noticed a lot of malty beers skip the flavor hop addition. I would throw hops in whenever I felt like it... But like I said in my journeys trying to find a simple 20 min boil recipe I've noticed some things.

but honestly... It took me awhile when you first posted that to find anything I would change. Quite honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. My motto is "dream it, then brew it". I hate guidelines, I hate styles, I hate anything that says your beer can't have that, it must have this. My beer can be whatever I want otherwise I'd be at the liquor store buying beers. Know what I'm saying???

I can't say I'm trying for a dedicated style of Stout. I figured a mix of English and American style would go nice with the bourbon soaked oak cubes. All I'm really interested in at the moment is the grain bill and percentages of base malts and specialty malts. Hope and hop schedule can always be flexible. 

8 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

with the barrel aging i'm doing now, I added 4 oz of smoked cherry wood malt to 3 cans of WDA a 5 gallon batch and after about a month and a half I tried a small sample and absolutely no trace of smoked cherry wood flavor. how many oak chips are you considering to add?

One ounce Hungarian Oak Cubes soaked in bourbon for about eight weeks. 

14 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Northern Brewer hops are fine in a Stout.  The old MrB Shillelagh Stout recipe uses them, and it was a really nice recipe when I made it.  Willamette would not be my first choice for use in a Stout, but it's such a neutral and versatile hop that it should work in just about anything for flavor and aroma.  Being a traditionalist I'd reach for Fuggles or Goldings, but that's just me.  Recipe as a whole looks good.

15 minutes ago, MichaelL said:

Northern Brewer hops are fine in a Stout.  The old MrB Shillelagh Stout recipe uses them, and it was a really nice recipe when I made it.  Willamette would not be my first choice for use in a Stout, but it's such a neutral and versatile hop that it should work in just about anything for flavor and aroma.  Being a traditionalist I'd reach for Fuggles or Goldings, but that's just me.  Recipe as a whole looks good.

Searching the interwebz for Stout recipes I ran across three or four that used Willamette. Mainly American style stouts, that's why I added them since I'm going for a hybrid English-American style. I could always switch it to 2oz UK northern brewers or EKG or Fuggles and use the bourbon soaked oak cubes as the American kick. 

I still have time to refine this recipe since I have a Surly Cynic Belgian kit and the two ESB kits I just ordered on line to brew first. That will also give me time to build my mash/lauter tun. 

20 hours ago, sabres032 said:

I can't say I'm trying for a dedicated style of Stout. I figured a mix of English and American style would go nice with the bourbon soaked oak cubes. All I'm really interested in at the moment is the grain bill and percentages of base malts and specialty malts. Hope and hop schedule can always be flexible. 

One ounce Hungarian Oak Cubes soaked in bourbon for about eight weeks. 

how many pieces on an average is an ounce?

ok well this recipe is for a porter, but I've began a porter once that at the end became a stout! the bitter is chinook, aroma and flame out is u.s. goldings. very similar in the malt range, English maris otter, English chocolate, English black, English d. crystal, and weyermann pale wheat. so I dunno, I think u should brew one up and see

Recipe looks pretty good to me. 

A couple minor suggestions come to mind:

- why the CaraPils? would you consider replacing with flaked oats or barley?

- you could consider adding roasted barley - though I wouldn't change the ratios of base malt to specialty if you do ... maybe reduce the C120 to 8oz and add 8oz roasted barley

I'm currently fermenting a partial mash oatmeal stout using a base pilsen LME with oatmeal / 2-row mash and pale chocolate / C120 / roasted barley. Bittered with Magnum and added Columbus at flameout, planning to dry "hop" with cracked coffee beans. 

2 hours ago, 209Hill said:

Recipe looks pretty good to me. 

A couple minor suggestions come to mind:

- why the CaraPils? would you consider replacing with flaked oats or barley?

- you could consider adding roasted barley - though I wouldn't change the ratios of base malt to specialty if you do ... maybe reduce the C120 to 8oz and add 8oz roasted barley

I'm currently fermenting a partial mash oatmeal stout using a base pilsen LME with oatmeal / 2-row mash and pale chocolate / C120 / roasted barley. Bittered with Magnum and added Columbus at flameout, planning to dry "hop" with cracked coffee beans. 

I will take your suggestion under serious consideration. Thank you.