Mr.Beer Community
mylesmcg

peanut butter choc stout ideas

After reading his thread, I saw a peanut butter milk stout on the shelf at the liquor store and had to try it. It's by Mustang Brewing Company, an Oklahoma local. The PB extract taste was a little weird in my opinion, but interesting nonetheless!

34 minutes ago, mylesmcg said:

@MRB Josh R do i need to put the nibs in a muslin bag for the boil or add as is? thinking of doing this at the weekend and just want to make sure i have all the equipment i need. thanks

I just add them in by themselves. They will float, at first, but they will eventually precipitate. A hop sack will work, too, but I just find them unnecessary for nibs unless they've been milled to a finer grain.

DuClaws sweet baby jesus was my first taste of this style. I brewed up a batch with the porter HME, 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, 2/3 cup PB2, a cup of brown sugar and dropped in 1 1/2 cups of reeses cereal after 1 week fermenting. (In a sack, or course!)  3 weeks total in the LBK. Turned out pretty good, and my nephew took some with him when he went on a camping trip. Said he got good reviews from his friends. The wife REALLY liked it, but I am thinking of using the st patricks stout as the base next time, and ditching the sugar for a smooth LME....might also use the nibs rather than the powder.....always tweeking, aren't we?!!

I'm going to try out a Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout in a few weeks to coordinate having ready by Thanksgiving for a dessert beer.  Was just thinking of the Irish Stout Deluxe refill +  1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and then just adding 5 ml of Peanut Butter brewer's extract.  Expecting a pretty strong, bitter -- but tasty -- beer.  

Kevin

3 hours ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

I'm going to try out a Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout in a few weeks to coordinate having ready by Thanksgiving for a dessert beer.  Was just thinking of the Irish Stout Deluxe refill +  1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and then just adding 5 ml of Peanut Butter brewer's extract.  Expecting a pretty strong, bitter -- but tasty -- beer.  

Kevin

There's also a product called "PB2" that works very well for peanut butter porters. It's basically peanut butter that has had the oils and fats removed and turned to a powder. It's great stuff for brewing PB Porters/Stouts. 

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

peanut butter porter? I dunno, just the thought scares me? next you know it'll be peanut butter and jelly

This just gave me the greatest idea...

50% Peanut butter porter and 50% Martinelli's Sparkling Grape Juice. I'm going to try it. I will report back with my findings...

21 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

This just gave me the greatest idea...

50% Peanut butter porter and 50% Martinelli's Sparkling Grape Juice. I'm going to try it. I will report back with my findings...

well at least if its successful, u can get royalties from your employer, and send  me a cple of cases while ur at it!!!:D

3 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Not at all. :)

well if u do come up with one, I hope it's a success, however, I probably wont buy it, any fruit beer stirs my taste buds, but peanut butter, milk stout chocolate coffee stout, well I'm gonna stick to tradition, only drink it when i'm drunk, just like sushi, I eat it when i'm wasted so my mind is clear knowing i'm tasting stuff that would normally make me vomit