Mr.Beer Community
mylesmcg

peanut butter choc stout ideas

picked up a stout refill yesterday and wanted to attempt a peanut butter choc recipe. i searched through the forum for recipes and ideas. so far i like ricks idea of using a drop of lorann oil per bottle at the bottling stage but for some reason it feels like cheating (i'm being stupid i know). i always figured i would use the PB2 powdered stuff but when and how would i add it to the HME? i would use a robust LME for it and also wondered do i add hops? and if so which works with a stout base?

Lots of questions.  Here's some answers.

- Easier - add LorAnn at time of CONSUMPTION.  You can get both peanut butter and chocolate flavors.  That way the consumer (get it, consumer of beer...) can add more or less to taste.  LorAnn oils are part of many recipes.  And what is that cheating?  Because powdered peanut butter isn't?  

- Cold crashing has nothing to do with any of your other questions.  What is the purpose of cold crashing?  Did you read my link?  How "clear" do you think a stout is going to get?  Trying to solidify trub to get more beer out of the LBK?  Then WHAT you're brewing is irrelevant.

i guess powdered peanut butter to me is more like the real thing than the oil.

yes i read your link about cold crashing. my thought was (because i don't know any better) that if i add the powdered PB to the wort would cold crashing settle the particles in suspension. i would have thought that cold crashing stout wouldn't affect the color

be gentle :unsure:

PB2 works great for making peanut butter beers. Keep in mind that it won't dissolve because it's basically ground peanuts with the fat removed. It will eventually settle into the sediment, but it WILL leave behind peanut flavor. Use 4-8 oz per LBK batch. Add it to your wort at flame-out. Stir it up well before transferring to your keg so you get it all into the LBK. I would also recommend adding a small amount of lactose (2 oz will do). This will slightly sweeten the beer, which will bring forward the peanut/chocolate flavors. I don't see any need for extra hops in this, but if you did add some, I would do 1/2 oz of Willamette or Mt. Hood - something neutral. Add at flame-out. 

1 minute ago, mylesmcg said:

i guess powdered peanut butter to me is more like the real thing than the oil.

yes i read your link about cold crashing. my thought was (because i don't know any better) that if i add the powdered PB to the wort would cold crashing settle the particles in suspension. i would have thought that cold crashing stout wouldn't affect the color

be gentle :unsure:

You should still cold-crash this so you have a more compact sediment before bottling. The PB2 will need some help settling.

7 minutes ago, mylesmcg said:

what about cocoa powder josh? add to the wort at flame out as well? and how much?

I prefer to use cocoa nibs as they will impart less bitterness than powder. 2-4 oz to the end of the boil for chocolate flavor and aroma (I let them boil for about 5 minutes before flame-out), or you can add them after the 1st week of fermentation for a more muted flavor and aroma. Use both methods for maximum effect.

If you use powder, use 1 Tablespoon at flameout.

Like I said, powder can impart an unpleasant bitterness. Nibs will not. Some people use baking chocolate, but I wouldn't recommend it due to the high fat content (this kills head retention).

i've actually had several from local breweries here and also their variations with PB choc porters and brown ales. all very delicious.  one of the best i had was a PB choc brown ale from Gizmo in Raleigh, NC. luckily this place is down the street from me

I love peanut butter porters/stouts, personally. There's a local brewery here in Tucson (Sentinel Peak Brewing) that makes one called Peanut Butter Cup Porter seasonally (usually in the fall), and it's pretty amazing. I've made pretty good batches, too. In fact, I should order some more PB2 soon....

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

i'm sorry but peanut butter chocolate stout?? that just doesn't sound good at all! but different strokes for different folks!

So what you're saying is that if someone poured a pint of this for you, YOU would turn it down?!?  The man who pours whiskey on his Froot Loops?!?  I call BULL SQUIRT, sir... I call bull squirt!  ;)

1 hour ago, mylesmcg said:

i've actually had several from local breweries here and also their variations with PB choc porters and brown ales. all very delicious.  one of the best i had was a PB choc brown ale from Gizmo in Raleigh, NC. luckily this place is down the street from me

I like these as well, and it has made my "To Brew" list.  There is just something appealing about a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup with an ABV attached to it!  :)

4 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

i'm a loyal captain crunch fan, basically all I ever ate

Which reminds me of a roommate that I had in college who would eat Cap'n Crunch straight out of the box while drinking beer.  Not a combination that many others wanted to try ...

OK so I read lots of ideas online about doing a peanut butter cup Porter.  A person tried and had good results with Reese's cereal.  So for Sh and giggles I am trying it.  I did the cereal along with jiff chocolate peanut butter powder.  It tasted good going into the LBK.  I bottle I about a week so I will let people know how it goes.

On 5/1/2016 at 6:33 PM, WillR said:

OK so I read lots of ideas online about doing a peanut butter cup Porter.  A person tried and had good results with Reese's cereal.  So for Sh and giggles I am trying it.  I did the cereal along with jiff chocolate peanut butter powder.  It tasted good going into the LBK.  I bottle I about a week so I will let people know how it goes.

That's actually a very good idea!