Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
VictoryRider

How long can sanitized solution sit?

I made the mistake of sanitizing the bottles before sampling the beer.   Based on the sampling, I want to put off bottling for a few more days.   Can I empty the sanitized solution back into a 1 gallon container and re-use it in a few more days?  Or will it lose it's potency and I should just dump it?

28 minutes ago, VictoryRider said:

I made the mistake of sanitizing the bottles before sampling the beer.   Based on the sampling, I want to put off bottling for a few more days.   Can I empty the sanitized solution back into a 1 gallon container and re-use it in a few more days?  Or will it lose it's potency and I should just dump it?

I don't know the answer, but this is a GREAT question.  Looking forward to the answer. :)

On 5/14/2016 at 6:03 AM, J A said:

Making the assumption you're using Mr. Beer bottles, couldn't you just leave it in the bottle and put the caps on?

No. It will pit plastic if left in it for too long. Also, the No-Rinse is a percarbonate based sanitizer that depends on O2 to work. If you store a mixed solution too long, it can become unreliable. This will happen after only a few hours.

I always use fresh for sanitizing but often keep the old in a 5 gallon bucket to remove labels. I've found less than a handful of beers that the labels won't come off clean after soaking overnight in the old solution.

iodophor will keep for a couple days in a sealed container. its color will begin to fade so you will know it is loosing potency. the downside is that it stains everything.

I make up a bucket of star san and it keeps for quite a long time in a sealed container.  my only problem is that I don't brew often enough and the star san solution causes condensation in the bucket.  the condensation collects on the lid, runs down the inside of the bucket and grows black mold. I find this funny since starsan kills mold so it must be just the water.  the solution itself is fine.  occasionally I will squirt in some more star san to bump down the ph.

I once read on the old mrbeerfans.com site that a guy had starsan for almost a month. I was like holy smokes! A tad to long for me. I hold it in a bucket. The moment it starts to get the slightest bit cloudy, out it goes. Ill just mix up more. Even then I rarely to never save it. Why risk it.

On May 25, 2016 at 2:56 AM, zorak1066 said:

iodophor will keep for a couple days in a sealed container. its color will begin to fade so you will know it is loosing potency. the downside is that it stains everything.

I make up a bucket of star san and it keeps for quite a long time in a sealed container.  my only problem is that I don't brew often enough and the star san solution causes condensation in the bucket.  the condensation collects on the lid, runs down the inside of the bucket and grows black mold. I find this funny since starsan kills mold so it must be just the water.  the solution itself is fine.  occasionally I will squirt in some more star san to bump down the ph.

22 minutes ago, DjPorkchop73 said:

I once read on the old mrbeerfans.com site that a guy had starsan for almost a month. I was like holy smokes! A tad to long for me. I hold it in a bucket. The moment it starts to get the slightest bit cloudy, out it goes. Ill just mix up more. Even then I rarely to never save it. Why risk it.

Guy at my homebrew store says he saves his for months in a sealed carboy. Only when it starts getting chunks in it does he dump it. Im somewhere in the middle

Wow! I dont know. I can see where $15 for StarSan would seem like a big amount for some but for as long as it lasts with so very little needed for a 5 gallon bucket of water, I'll hold just until a cloud forms then it gots to go lol I'll splurge on another $15 for more StarSan as needed. Chunky  .... Nahh.

1 hour ago, zorak1066 said:

just because starsan goes cloudy doesn't mean it isn't still good. take a ph reading.  I think if it is around 2, (acidic) it still sanitizes.  mine gets cloudy really fast but consistently tests acidic for a long while. 

3 or lower.

6 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

just because starsan goes cloudy doesn't mean it isn't still good. take a ph reading.  I think if it is around 2, (acidic) it still sanitizes.  mine gets cloudy really fast but consistently tests acidic for a long while. 

I agree. Here in AZ, our water is so hard that the solution turns instantly cloudy for me so I have to pH test it every so often. I can keep it stored for 6-8 weeks in my 65 F brew room before needing to change it out. But I usually go through about a gallon of solution per week so it never sits that long anyway.

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

3 or lower.

I agree with Rick, too. Your solution must have a pH of 3 or lower to maintain the proper sanitation level. 

BTW, Starsan is coming soon to Mr. Beer. ;)