Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonsai & Brew

You can never have too many Bavarian Weissbiers!

79 posts in this topic

Plan to brew one of these each week or until Target stops finding these in their warehouse -- started with an XL Bavarian Honeyless Wheat:

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Red Flaked Wheat, 2 oz.

Carapils, 2 oz.

Honey Malt, 3 oz.

2-Row, 2 oz.

Hallertau Mittelfruh, 0.5 oz. at flame-out

Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast

OG was 1.042

(XL because this is my 40th batch!)

🍻

6 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Plan to brew one of these each week or until Target stops finding these in their warehouse -- started with an XL Bavarian Honeyless Wheat:

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Red Flaked Wheat, 2 oz.

Carapils, 2 oz.

Honey Malt, 3 oz.

2-Row, 2 oz.

OG was 1.042

🍻

I beg to differ (with your title).  My cousin drank 7/12 that I brought to the bbq yesterday and he appeared to be quite done! ;)

The Wheat of the Week that I brewed last night was a partial mash Raspberry Wheat:

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Oregon Red Raspberries, 15 oz., puréed 

Flaked Red Wheat, 4 oz.

Weyermann Pale Wheat, 2 oz.

2-Row Pale Malt, 2 oz.

Tettnang hops, 0.5 oz. at flame-out

OG was (again) 1.042.

I know some will be disappointed that I added the raspberries right away, but I have had pretty good luck with both raspberries and apricot holding flavor nicely throughout fermentation.  We will see!🍺

AnthonyC likes this

28 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

The Wheat of the Week that I brewed last night was a partial mash Raspberry Wheat:

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Flaked Red Wheat, 4 oz.

2-Row Pale Malt, 2 oz.

OG was (again) 1.042.

I know some will be disappointed that I added the raspberries right away, but I have had pretty good luck with both raspberries and apricot holding flavor nicely throughout fermentation.  We will see!🍺

I still want to do:

Strawberry Basil

Raspberry

Apricot

Maybe in the fall. 

Let me know how your raspberry turns out!  :)

Bonsai & Brew likes this

I like to do wheats, too.  B&B, I'm going to copy your recipes and put them in my list of recipes to try.  I made 3 batches last year that just had some flavored extract, but they turned out very good.  I did blueberry, cherry and apricot.  The next time will have some body additions (carapils, etc.) to the HME, altho there was no trouble getting rid of the ones I made as a Deluxe recipe with just LME.

HoppySmile! and Bonsai & Brew like this

9 minutes ago, C-ya said:

I like to do wheats, too.  B&B, I'm going to copy your recipes and put them in my list of recipes to try.  I made 3 batches last year that just had some flavored extract, but they turned out very good.  I did blueberry, cherry and apricot.  The next time will have some body additions (carapils, etc.) to the HME, altho there was no trouble getting rid of the ones I made as a Deluxe recipe with just LME.

I'm just having fun using up these Weissbiers and experimenting a little with grains and additions -- not trying to break any new ground, in fact Mr. Beer already has a raspberry wheat recipe that you can brew http://support.mrbeer.com/support/solutions/articles/5000523121-raspberry-wheat-recipe-instructions.  Hopefully, others might post ideas for their weissbiers here too! :)

I started a Belgian Wit today using the Weissbier HME:

BTW Mandarin wheat I made is really nice. I need to do that again using fresher Mandarina Bavaria hops. The ones I used were a bit od.

Belgian WI\it:

Steep 8 oz quick oats and 4 oz Flaked wheat 30 min at 165 in bage with enough water to cover.

Make liquid  up to 4 cups

Dissolve 4 oz Pils DME, 4 oz Wheat DME, 2 oz Trad Dark DME (for the 50% Munich malt - although I may get more darkness than really needed)

Boil in this for 5 min - 2 Chamomile teabaga, 5 oz crushed coriander seeds, 1 sweet orange zest

Dissolve Wheat HME

Add all this to 4 qts cold water in LBK. Top up to 8.5 mark with cold water

Add 1 pack WLP400 Wit yeast.

Let it go, baby.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Mandarin Wheat.

Reposted here to keep the recipes together.

Mandarin Wheat.

Bav Wht HME, 4 oz Pils DME, 4 ox Light DME, 0.5 oz Mandarin Bavaria  hop, 1 can mandarin oranges light syrup, whizzed and in bag + juice,  0.5 oz Amarillo hop, 4 TBS Dextrose (oops - thought it was dextrin)), 4 TBS MaltoDextrin. Mr B Wht Yeast.

mandarinwheat.jpg

BOO!

Target says no longer available - but they do have Oktoberfest reduced today..

Fortunately it is available to me in my basement :-)

3 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

BOO!

Target says no longer available - but they do have Oktoberfest reduced today..

Fortunately it is available to me in my basement :-)

I actually got Target to back-order me 5 Bavaran Weissbier refills!  I think I had put several in my cart the same morning that they sold out a couple weeks ago.  We'll see if they actually ship at the end of the month -- if they do, you guys are all invited out for my Weizenfest in August! 🍻

HoppySmile! and C-ya like this

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 4:33 PM, Nickfixit said:

I started a Belgian Wit today using the Weissbier HME:

BTW Mandarin wheat I made is really nice. I need to do that again using fresher Mandarina Bavaria hops. The ones I used were a bit od.

Belgian WI\it:

Steep 8 oz quick oats and 4 oz Flaked wheat 30 min at 165 in bage with enough water to cover.

(Recipe correction from MR B Josh - add 4 oz 2 row malt for enzymes for wheat. I missed that.)

Make liquid  up to 4 cups

Dissolve 4 oz Pils DME, 4 oz Wheat DME, 2 oz Trad Dark DME (for the 50% Munich malt - although I may get more darkness than really needed)

Boil in this for 5 min - 2 Chamomile teabags, 5 oz (correction 5 grams!!! not oz.) crushed coriander seeds, 1 sweet orange zest

Dissolve Wheat HME

Add all this to 4 qts cold water in LBK. Top up to 8.5 mark with cold water

Add 1 pack WLP400 Wit yeast.

Let it go, baby.

And it did. It overflowed in first 24 hours, now it is being more reasonable.

Very interesting aroma - first time using so much coriander (5g).

5 oz of coriander is way too much in a 2.5 gallon batch.  myself I would use a half oz at most, with one oz of orange peel.  coriander if used with a heavy hand can lend a soapy off taste to your beer.  it isn't pleasant at all.  wlp 400 makes a nice wit.  most of the flavor in the wit should come from the yeast.

My bad. Fortunately it was a mistype. That should have been 5 grams - lol. It was about 1/5 of a 24 g bottle. It still made a HUGE smell fermenting.

But thanks for reading and correcting.

Since the WLP400 was expensive, I am thinking about taking some trub and re-pitching it into next brew.

I suppose I can repeat this WITH the 4 oz 2 row for comparison.... or any other suggestions for good recipe with the yeast and Wheat HME?

I don't want to save it in fridge.

Suggestions - how much and recipe??

AnthonyC likes this

On June 6, 2016 at 6:09 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Flaked Red Wheat, 4 oz.

2-Row Pale Malt, 2 oz.

OG was (again) 1.042.

Well, turns out that was disappointed that I added the raspberries right away:blink: -- hardly any flavor carried through primary fermentation this time so I added a 2nd can a few days ago and this will now be a Double Raspberry Wheat!🍻

C-ya and TonyKZ1 like this

All this Kona beer that I've been enjoying the last few weeks, along with some very good New Belgium IPAs got me thinking so I crafted a Waimea Wheat partial mash today! :)

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Flaked White Wheat, 4 oz.

Pale Wheat base malt, 2 oz.

2-Row Pale Malt, 2 oz.

Waimea hops, 0.5 oz. 20 min. boil

Waimea hops, 0.5 oz 7 min. boil

Safale US-05

OG was 1.040

Only 5 more Bavarian Weissbier refills to go!

AnthonyC likes this

On May 29, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Red Flaked Wheat, 2 oz.

Carapils, 2 oz.

Honey Malt, 3 oz.

2-Row, 2 oz.

OG was 1.042

🍻

XL turned out pretty good and if someone hadn't already claimed the "Half-Wit" beer name, I would rename this one. ;)The Mangrove Jack M20 did a fair job producing some nice (mostly clovey) flavor and the Hallertau Mittelfruh balances out the overall feel of this beer.  A little chamomile, coriander, or zest would have definitely livened up the presentation, but I will get that when I brew Wit Your Whistle next week.  Cheers!🍻

Back to a JoshR recipe, Wit Your Whistle partial mash -- haven't done anything with the Safbrew T-58 in awhile, so looking forward to this one!  I also learned how to zest mandarins. :)

Oh yeah, as much as I wanted to follow this Belgian Wit recipe to-the-letter, I did substitute a couple mandarins for the orange zest.  I was also shocked to discover that I was out of regular Hallertau (need an inventory app! @MrBeerFortunately though, I did find a left-over pack of H. Mittelfruh and some Spaltz/Spalt/Spalter (whatever) so that should be Noble enough for me. 🇺🇸🍻

Bighead beer likes this

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:44 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

All this Kona beer that I've been enjoying the last few weeks, along with some very good New Belgium IPAs got me thinking so I crafted a Waimea Wheat partial mash today! :)

Bavarian Weissbier HME

Golden LME

Flaked White Wheat, 4 oz.

Pale Wheat base malt, 2 oz.

2-Row Pale Malt, 2 oz.

Waimea hops, 0.5 oz. 20 min. boil

Waimea hops, 0.5 oz 7 min. boil

Safale US-05

OG was 1.040

Only 5 more Bavarian Weissbier refills to go!

As it turns out, I wasn't being quite as innovative as I thought -- Midwest has already rode the Waimea Wave.  Oh well, I will always have my Mr. Beer recipe that I can play around with.    

waimeawheat.jpg

Bighead beer and TonyKZ1 like this

I did use 1/2 the WLP400 trub to rebrew - this time a citrus wheat.

Citrus Wit using Bav Weissbr HME, + 12 oz wheat DME  ~ 4.5% ABV + minor amount from grains.

Grains 30 min@165deg  - 4 oz Flaked Wht, 4oz 2 row malt, 4 oz inst oatmeal,
5 min zest boil, with 5g crushed coriander, 3 mandarin zests, 1 lime zest + Hop 0.5 Amarillo
Whizzed can of Mandarin oranges, put them  in same bag, added in  with juice from Limes and Mandarins  + 0.5 Mandarina Bav hop at flameout (bring all to boil to sterilize .)

Then add HME/DME),
WLP400 Belg Wit trub (50%).
0.5 Mandarina Bav  (2 wk dryhop) 

Smelled really awesome during 1st week bubbling. Fermenting @ 65 deg.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

46 minutes ago, TonyKZ1 said:

Yeah, I got that email from them about this beer. Wonder what it tastes like.

Me too.  I may have over-bittered mine because I couldn't figure out how to calculate IBUs for a partial boil using 17.4% AA Waimea.  Help!