Mr.Beer Community
John K.

Bottling Question

I just started using 12 oz. glass bottles. I used sugar cubes for carbonation. They didn't fit through the bottle opening very well. I had to push hard on them to get them in. Is there a better way to do this? It was kind of messy. The Mr. Beer carbonation drops fit in the bottle better, but cost a lot more than sugar cubes. Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, craftbeersyndrome said:

I use sugar cubes (Domino Dots) and I have no problems putting them in 12 oz. bottles. No mess at all. Just saying.

Dots are the easy way for me too.

I have no problems with using dots if I use 12 oz. bottles generally. I have had some bottles that were a tight fit but they go if you push.

Gotta use the 198 cubes to the lb. ones There are 2 sizes out there.

Used these the other day for the first time. Super easy to use and i feel i can really dial in the carb level. Use 3-5 tablets. Have yet to sample the actual finished product. 

Brewer's Best Conditioning Tablets 250 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O2D9RE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zDeDxb9F041GB

Thanks for all of the input. I've been looking for the smaller sugar cubes and haven't found them yet except for online. They were kind of expensive. Can someone tell me where they have found Domino Dots. All I see in the stores around here are C & H and they are the bigger (4 gram) ones. If I can't find some reasonably priced I will try table sugar and a funnel. 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Used these the other day for the first time. Super easy to use and i feel i can really dial in the carb level. Use 3-5 tablets. Have yet to sample the actual finished product. 

Brewer's Best Conditioning Tablets 250 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O2D9RE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zDeDxb9F041GB

Nice if they are individually smaller than dots, easier to finesse the dose.  So their packet info works out to 0.5 g per tablet. (142g @ 250 tabs)

A Sugar dot is 2.5g but 2 g of sugar. (1/2 tsp) .  So one Dot = 4 (or 5) BB tablets. That makes sense.

46 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Nice if they are individually smaller than dots, easier to finesse the dose.  So their packet info works out to 0.5 g per tablet. (142g @ 250 tabs)

A Sugar dot is 2.5g but 2 g of sugar. (1/2 tsp) .  So one Dot = 4 (or 5) BB tablets. That makes sense.

I used 4 tabs in a sixer of my gluten free, the rest was batch primed so ill soon find which one i prefer. Was tempted to try three as an experiment but i felt very confident in 4 tabs. I still think batch priming is easier on the 5 gallon level but its fun to try new things.

originally found these by reading how to brew and came across "prime tabs" in his bottling section, had to see what the master was using. 

Look at cost.  Pound of sugar on sale is 50 cents a pound or less...  454 grams.  I use 100 to 130 per 5 gallon batch.  Works out to to 2.6 grams per 12 Oz bottle at most.   Cost per bottle is $.0029.  Can't beat that.  Brew 60 gallons a year and it matters.

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

3 cents each.  5 in a bottle is 15 cents.  That would be 50 times more expensive.  

I find carb drops to be so convenient that they are worth the expense to me.  If I brewed as much as RickBeer, I'd probably be looking for a cheaper alternative.  However, since I brew standard MrBeer 8.5 qt batches around once a month and use (for most brews) 1 drop per 22 oz bottle, the added cost is trivial to me.  Should I ever move to 5-gallon brews, batch priming will start to look awfully attractive ...

16 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Dots are the easy way for me too.

I have no problems with using dots if I use 12 oz. bottles generally. I have had some bottles that were a tight fit but they go if you push.

Gotta use the 198 cubes to the lb. ones There are 2 sizes out there.

Do you use just one of them? They are only 1/2 teaspoon. Do they still have enough carbonation?

6 hours ago, John K. said:

Do you use just one of them? They are only 1/2 teaspoon. Do they still have enough carbonation?

Yes. One per 12 oz bottle. I use 2 or 3 per 750 ML and 3 to 5 per 1L.  U used to use the high end of these ranges but recently I have taken to using the lower end as there still seems to be enough carb for me. The lighter beers also seem to do better with more carbonation.

10 hours ago, RickBeer said:

3 cents each.  5 in a bottle is 15 cents.  That would be 50 times more expensive.  

This is  funny to me. 

I drank a fat tire clone we made yesterday, $35 it cost us to make 10 gallons

MRB seasonal package goes on sale for $80 to make 10 gallons and people buy it.

The MRB carb drops cost almost twice as much as the mangrove jack ones i can get.

the point im trying to make while i eat my chocolate chex and peanut butter captain crunch is: Im ok with my extra $5 to try something new and see if it works for me. 

This is  funny to me. 

The MRB carb drops cost almost twice as much as the mangrove jack ones i can get.

the point im trying to make while i eat my chocolate chex and peanut butter captain crunch is: Im ok with my extra $5 to try something new and see if it works for me. 

Nothing wrong with trying anything, or using anything.  However, new brewers need to understand that the only difference is cost and ease of use.  Using the Mr. Beer Sugar Measure and table sugar is actually quite easy.  Of course batch priming is also easy.  

A 5 gallon batch using those tabs would be $7.50 (50 x .15).  Table sugar would be $.15.  Difference of as much as $7.35 per 5 gallon batch, no?  3 batches paid for one more batch.  

This is  funny to me. 

Creeps, I'm giving you a "LIKE" for the Chocolate Chex/Peanut Butter Captain Crunch combination alone.  Now you talk about saving money...  You do realize that they make a cereal that would cut you costs in half and taste as good?  Reese's Puffs Cereal!  Seriously though, Captain Crunch Cereal is like a gift from the cereal gods!  :)

20 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Creeps, I'm giving you a "LIKE" for the Chocolate Chex/Peanut Butter Captain Crunch combination alone.  Now you talk about saving money...  You do realize that they make a cereal that would cut you costs in half and taste as good?  Reese's Puffs Cereal!  Seriously though, Captain Crunch Cereal is like a gift from the cereal gods!  :)

Yes, i agree. However it wasnt 2 for $5. Chex and capt must be made by the same company. I mix cereals, thats what i do. Someday ill have my own recipe book. You know whats good? Cookie crisp and cocoa puffs OR honey nut cherrios and cocoa crispies

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Good stuff, that cereal.  Used to eat a lot of it when I was a kid (OK, I'll admit to eating a few bowls of it as an adult).  It always tore up the roof of my mouth, however.  And I remember having to eat it quickly before it got soggy.

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Nothing wrong with trying anything, or using anything.  However, new brewers need to understand that the only difference is cost and ease of use.  Using the Mr. Beer Sugar Measure and table sugar is actually quite easy.  Of course batch priming is also easy.  

A 5 gallon batch using those tabs would be $7.50 (50 x .15).  Table sugar would be $.15.  Difference of as much as $7.35 per 5 gallon batch, no?  3 batches paid for one more batch.  

One more reason not to use 12 oz bottles. The only reason I use them is that I can give them away and not worry about getting them back. So I only make up a couple of 12 oz per batch.