denoid

jumpin in with both feet

34 posts in this topic

Based on the success of my previous batch, "That Voodoo That You Do", I brewed my fourth batch of beer today on the 4th.  The Oktoberfest deluxe is now fermenting in the basement at a cool 72 degrees.

But, not only that, I also put in an order today for a second LBK, stick-on thermometer for it, some muslin sacks, a Diablo IPA extract for my wife, and an Angry Bovine Milk Stout deluxe kit for myself.  I think I'm officially hooked.

Oktoberfest in September/October; IPA in November/December; and maybe some Milk Stout for Christmas/New Years.  Life can't get much better.

7 minutes ago, denoid said:

Based on the success of my previous batch, "That Voodoo That You Do", I brewed my fourth batch of beer today on the 4th.  The Oktoberfest deluxe is now fermenting in the basement at a cool 72 degrees.

But, not only that, I also put in an order today for a second LBK, stick-on thermometer for it, some muslin sacks, a Diablo IPA extract for my wife, and an Angry Bovine Milk Stout deluxe kit for myself.  I think I'm officially hooked.

Oktoberfest in September/October; IPA in November/December; and maybe some Milk Stout for Christmas/New Years.  Life can't get much better.

I would bring that 72 down to at the highest 68 if it was me (i hate when people say "if i were you" fyi). Or 62 like i always do unless youre using some saison or belgian yeast for this oktoberfest

John K. likes this

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I would bring that 72 down to at the highest 68 if it was me (i hate when people say "if i were you" fyi). Or 62 like i always do unless youre using some saison or belgian yeast for this oktoberfest

Well you are keeping the temp midrange per range given in instructions. And it sure will ferment quickly and well at that temp - and probably you can bottle in 2 weeks but 3 is better.

I think the consensus of the forum though is that lower is better to get a  better tasting beer. It might take a bit longer to ferment though. But if you take the 3-4-3 route it should be OK. If it is difficult to get cooler, the wet towel over it (disclaimer - have not tried this personally) is probably easiest to get a couple degrees drop. I use a Coleman cooler and ice packs if I need LBK cooler than my basement (which is now 63 deg).

Now I have a tough time getting it hot for Saisons - lol.

Hey guys...so I literally started my first batch ever yesterday afternoon.  I received a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and figured it was long overdue to get this started.  I have the Diablo IPA now fermenting.  Question though, I'm reading above that 62-64 degrees etc, is acceptable, if not better for fermenting?  I ask, because I was purposefully keeping my LBK out of my basement to avoid those temps, keeping at the 74 degrees range.  So would I be safe fermenting in my basement?  During summer it averages 64-65.  Sounds like that's a win?

I would say its a win. Get that LBK down there ASAP :-) . And congrats on the new hobby and welcome !

You will get lots of support here.

Make sure you find a post of Rick Beer and read all his stuff at the bottom and his references - then you will be an untried expert.

Oh and if you like citrous hop aroma, get 0.5 to 1 oz Citra pellets and a hop bag and do the dry hop in the Diablo.

2 weeks from now, sterilize the bag (boiling water is OK) put the pellets in tie the bag and drop it in the LBK. Bottle a week later. 

RickBeer likes this

Carefully put it in the basement. Asap. Run!!! Run carefully, safely of course. And map out your route for trip hazards. Also a beer helmet may be necessary for how slowly youll need to walk it. Gotta stay hydrated during this stressful times ya know. Good luck

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.  One more question.  You mentioned the 3-4-3 route.  Would you mind elaborating?  I know some of that is for bottling...but any helpful details would be appreciated.  VERY excited about this...hard to not go way overboard and buy all the different flavors and accessories.  Ha!

3 weeks fermenting in LBK, 4 weeks in bottle, 3 days in fridge then drink.

But a lot of folks sneak one at 2 weeks  in the bottle if carbonated (hard PET bottle) just to see :-)

5 hours ago, mikeybass said:

Ahh yes, the fridge.  Definitely a priority.  

Thank you!

The thing is that while you can drink it once it is just quickly chilled, the effect of carbonation on head/foam, bubble size and mouth feel appears to change over time in the fridge, and it tastes better at 3 days than 1 and probably better at 5. It could also clarify a bit more.

RickBeer likes this

I like my beer room temp.. about 67f.  I have found that when I chill beer, for me it muddles the flavors.

Yep. I keep my beer in the fridge and it is 37 deg.

The taste changes as it warms up. I find 37 deg is too cold for me for most ales - but it is also interesting to see how the taste changes as the glass warms up..

Some folks recommend leaving the bottle out of the fridge to warm up for a bit before pouring. That can be a problem if you have aggressive carbonation - lol.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

5 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

I like my beer room temp.. about 67f.  I have found that when I chill beer, for me it muddles the flavors.

Do you chill them before drinking? Otherwise youd have no carb would you???

i dont like beer so cold it freezes my throat but i like it cold. And to counter your point cuz thats what i do, i find that farmhouse ales get to be too much after warming up. Stouts are ok warm but i wouldnt drink my beer at 67!!! Thats crazy. I like that now a lot of beers come with the reccomended temp on it

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Yep. I keep my beer in the fridge and it is 37 deg.

The taste changes as it warms up. I find 37 deg is too cold for me for most ales - but it is also interesting to see how the taste changes as the glass warms up..

Some folks recommend leaving the bottle out of the fridge to warm up for a bit before pouring. That can be a problem if you have aggressive carbonation - lol.

I like cold pizza, cold fried chicken, cold steak, and cold beers.

Kevin Caffrey likes this

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Do you chill them before drinking? Otherwise youd have no carb would you???

i dont like beer so cold it freezes my throat but i like it cold. And to counter your point cuz thats what i do, i find that farmhouse ales get to be too much after warming up. Stouts are ok warm but i wouldnt drink my beer at 67!!! Thats crazy. I like that now a lot of beers come with the reccomended temp on it

The answer is YES>

Cool liquid holds more CO2 than warm liquid. So you have to cool it to get the most CO2 dissolved. Probably another reason English beers served warmer are also less carbonated (besides, the old fashioned traditional delivery system does not support the pressures needed.) 

Generally I pour them cold then let them warm in the glass.

But the other thing you mentioned is also a factor, you can't stand  Farmhouse beers warm as they taste TOO strong. So how warm to drink dedends on your personal taste and the kind of beer. Lagers or less estery beers I like colder, Ales and Saisons (and Farmhouse) I like warmer because the nice smelly compounds come out into  the smell more.

This video covers the carbonation:

Creeps McLane likes this

ON carbonation, my question is how can I get high carbonation (3-5 volumes) without having the beer gush out of the bottle (even when carbonated 5 days)

I suspect that the idea of chilling beer was to hide the fact that commercial beers were pretty close to having no flavor and the colder you drank them the less flavor your mouth can taste. British beers were typically made with barley (compare the rice and other grains used by the BIG brewers in the US) and so they were drunk for the flavor... I never knew that beer was "supposed" to be chilled until I moved to the States.. But then , room temperature in Scotland was never warm ...   

Nickfixit likes this

56 minutes ago, Brewer said:

I suspect that the idea of chilling beer was to hide the fact that commercial beers were pretty close to having no flavor and the colder you drank them the less flavor your mouth can taste. British beers were typically made with barley (compare the rice and other grains used by the BIG brewers in the US) and so they were drunk for the flavor... I never knew that beer was "supposed" to be chilled until I moved to the States.. But then , room temperature in Scotland was never warm ...   

Ah, the soft chill of the mist rolling over the heather, huddling closer to the stone fireplace, with the faint odor of boiling haggis drifting in from the kitchen. Those were the days.

Yeah, I moved here from the south coast of UK which was typically a bit warmer than Scotland, but I also had a beer culture shock on arrival - although I was grouped with some Australians whose ideas on beer were quite strong.

TonyKZ1 likes this

13 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Ah, the soft chill of the mist rolling over the heather, huddling closer to the stone fireplace, with the faint odor of boiling haggis drifting in from the kitchen. Those were the days.

My vote for poetic post of the week!:)

Nickfixit and Creeps McLane like this

19 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

My vote for poetic post of the week!:)

Of course, a good Scotch whisky will keep the mist chill out better than beer, but beer will do in an emergency. 

TonyKZ1 and Bonsai & Brew like this

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, denoid said:

OK you are hooked. From now, is the time to look for good sales on LBKs but the best time is store Holiday clearance from the prior Holiday season. Save a few $$ for period Mar-May 2017. Think Target, Walmart, Sears etc..... I have got 2 at least on good sales. Folks here on the forum will also post sales when they see them. Sales on Refills happen too. Several of us got a bunch of Wheat refills on sale for $7 a month or 2  back, with free shipping over some amount that we exceeded with 6 refills. 

With the air conditioning running here, the basement is pretty steadily now about 68 -70 degrees air temperature, and the thermometer on the LBK for the Octoberfest is reading between 66-68, so I think that should work.  I'll be bottling that next Sunday night after (1 day shy of) 3 weeks.

With my second LBK, I brewed up the Diablo IPA today, and it's now in the basement next to the Octoberfest.  Since this is my 5th batch of beer, experimented by adding some of the booster that I got with an earlier purchase.  My wife will probably have most of the IPA, since I don't like IPA's all that much - she was OK with adding the booster when I told her that it boosted the ABV.

I'm definitely doing the 3-4-3 thing with all of my beers now.  I've used it on the last few batches and it seems to produce winners.  My first batch with the kit was an American Pale Ale that I only brewed two weeks using the instructions on the can, then bottled for 2 more.  It was pretty much awful at first, but got a little better as the remaining bottles aged a bit.

As for beer drinking temperatures go, I liked the St. Patricks Irish Stout at room temperature, but I thought the Voodoo tasted better cold.  It's kind of a beer by beer thing with me, but I grew up drinking warm beer that my buddy would swipe from his Dad and hide under the porch all day.

Some updates from me:

• The Oktoberfest I brewed is excellent...I'll be doing that one again, along with the Voodoo that you do.
  • The Diablo IPA was just OK, but it's probably my fault.  In stead of just following the recipe, I added some booster to it at the last minute.  The result is that it doesn't really taste like an IPA, but it isn't horrible either.

Today I finally got around to brewing the Angry Bovine Milk Stout.  A couple of questions for you guys:

1. Should I leave the muslin sack with the chocolate in the keg for the entire 3 weeks of brewing?  Do I fish it out just before bottling?
  2. The online instructions call for "3 weeks fermentation, 3 weeks carbonation, and 4-6 weeks of bottle conditioning = 3 months of total brewing time".  I thought that carbonation occurs during the bottling period?  Does that just mean 7 - 9 weeks in the bottles?

As always, I appreciate the help.

AnthonyC likes this