AnthonyC

Rhisomes

61 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I was thinking centennial and columbus. Do some grow more vigorously than others? Im not too late am I? I can also buy actual plants

First year growths usually aren't the greatest.  In the years after that, depending on how many you plant, you may end up with more than you would want lol :)

This is 1 small section of a Cascade bine... and we had 6 cascade bines that year. 

hops.jpg.8627cc64379e3888cf9c98e62bc7dce4.jpg

MRB Josh R likes this

13 minutes ago, kedogn said:

First year growths usually aren't the greatest.  In the years after that, depending on how many you plant, you may end up with more than you would want lol :)

This is 1 small section of a Cascade bine... and we had 6 cascade bines that year. 

hops.jpg.8627cc64379e3888cf9c98e62bc7dce4.jpg

Holy freaking hell that is sweet

kedogn likes this

I went with centennial and columbus. Ive been thinking about the placement of the plants for a few weeks now and i think i have a spot figured out. I was tempted to just throw a few rhizomes by the chain link fence in the graveyard behind my house... 

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I went with centennial and columbus. Ive been thinking about the placement of the plants for a few weeks now and i think i have a spot figured out. I was tempted to just throw a few rhizomes by the chain link fence in the graveyard behind my house... 

Give them a spot with as much sun as possible, and somewhere to grow. 

NwMaltHead likes this

This is the contraption that a friend built to grow hops for us 6 years ago.  He puts twine from the top line down to the ground for the bines to grow up and eventually over and back to the ground.  Has worked like a champ :)

hopfield.jpg.d5531384908533f9bc268b50afa9ae44.jpg

I have 4 bines of the centennial plant growing. Am I right to cut down three of them so the plant focuses on growing the one bine? I dont really have room for 4

IMG_2970.PNG

NwMaltHead likes this

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Centennial has 13 buds poking through now. Jesus, whats a guy to do?

Sounds like first-world problems!

kedogn and Creeps McLane like this

In all honesty though, I say let 'em rip. You're not going to yield many on the first harvest and you might lose a few over the winter. If not, we will just start calling you Hops McLane!

Creeps McLane and kedogn like this