AnthonyC

Rhizomes

91 posts in this topic

Built my planter for next yearIMG_4544.thumb.JPG.de271acddf09ffddb5f5ad36e414caa6.JPG

but before that I expanded my kids sandbox IMG_4539.thumb.JPG.52af7fa5fd460dbfe698af4523cd3223.JPG

then i had some extra lumber laying around so I continued building. Keep in mind all this was lumber left from the previous owner of our house. I spent $0 today.

IMG_4545.thumb.JPG.2c0ddf1a30f0abf2452e474a5841a272.JPGI will need to go get some sand for the kids and probably some top soil for my hops. I plan on using the soil i dug up for the sandbox also using all my compost. 

Mrs McLane: "hey whatcha doing out there"

Creeps: "come see" cuz i really dont want to admit what ive been doing

Mrs McLane: "wow! Is that for your hops to climb up? Thats really cool"

Creeps thinks "wow, i expected her to tell me to go fold laundry instead". Times like this i realize just how supportive my wife is. 

IMG_4774.PNG

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Mrs McLane: "hey whatcha doing out there"

Creeps: "come see" cuz i really dont want to admit what ive been doing

Mrs McLane: "wow! Is that for your hops to climb up? Thats really cool"

Creeps thinks "wow, i expected her to tell me to go fold laundry instead". Times like this i realize just how supportive my wife is. 

Nice...

On Friday, July 08, 2016 at 8:00 PM, AnthonyC said:

Any input??

If you have any problems with powdery mildew on plants in your yard, pinch off any leaf growth below your knee level. Ventilation and sunlight are just as important.

8 hours ago, D Kristof said:

If you have any problems with powdery mildew on plants in your yard, pinch off any leaf growth below your knee level. Ventilation and sunlight are just as important.

Just FYI, Anthony C has been MIA on here for about six months or so.

13 hours ago, Shrike said:

Just FYI, Anthony C has been MIA on here for about six months or so.

Anything to keep it going......he could be lurking and you pointing out his inactivity may have hurt his wittle feewings.  

KCullison86 and Shrike like this

I bought 5 rhizomes, all different varieties and they are growing in pots on my dining room table being as how the temps outside have been dipping below freezing still....looks like last night was the last (according to the forecast), so trying to start putting them in the ground today......this should be interesting, me hanging out of the second story window trying to string a steel cable across to put the string to.....and then there is the rabbits and squirrels I have to keep off them.  Yeah, this is gonna be real interesting to be sure.

Creeps McLane, Cato, Jdub and 2 others like this

18 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

@SilverBrewerWI just curious, what varieties did you get. Also, what city do you live in? Are you north or south of Green Bay? My columbus did better than my centennial last year. I heard nugget does real well in WI

@MRB Josh R can someone change this thread to “rhizomes” instead of the misspelled version? 

Nugget, Sterling, Cascade, Chinook, and Columbus.  Live in Marshfield, so roughly due west, very slightly north of Green Bay.  The Nugget has 4 bines over 3 Feet high growing in the pot and I've cut back the others (has had over 8 bines at one point and they have only been in the pots for a couple weeks).  This one will be first in the ground.  All of them are growing, we will see how they do once in the ground.  Using "Just Natural Organic" potting soil and getting the same brand of garden soil to replace the clay outside.  

Wife just informed me she has arranged for a Centennial rhizome, so that will be on it's way.

19 minutes ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

Nugget, Sterling, Cascade, Chinook, and Columbus.  Live in Marshfield, so roughly due west, very slightly north of Green Bay.  The Nugget has 4 bines over 3 Feet high growing in the pot and I've cut back the others (has had over 8 bines at one point and they have only been in the pots for a couple weeks).  This one will be first in the ground.  All of them are growing, we will see how they do once in the ground.  Using "Just Natural Organic" potting soil and getting the same brand of garden soil to replace the clay outside.  

Wife just informed me she has arranged for a Centennial rhizome, so that will be on it's way.

Did you buy them as plants or as rhizomes? 

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

Did you buy them as plants or as rhizomes? 

Rhizomes from buyhoprhizomes.com.....tried to get magnum, but they sold out of them early

Creeps McLane likes this